Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #11
Site Team

Re: Any CB radio geeks out there??

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Wow, I've never seen a rig that big. Kind of scarry looking.
Yeah just imagine the kind of camper-van you make on that platform.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:39 PM   #12

Yeh....I'm one of them! I have a 959 Galaxy mounted in my rig & I love the thing. I had it shopped when I bought it & it gets out there pretty good. I currently have the 102" whip antenna on the rear bumper but I am going to replace it with a Wilson 5000. I want to mount it on the penthouse so it is up high & doesn't have any body blockage of the signal. The only thing that bothers me is routing of the wiring on the penthouse. I hate the idea of wires hanging.
Woot...........
WOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:25 AM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Galaxy 10-11 meter slider with AM,FM, SB upper and lower.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Hey WOOT-
Does mounting the antenna on the fiberglas roof negate the benefits of a ground plane?
Do CB radio antennas NEED a ground plane? Most I've seen (including mine), are mounted just in front of the PH on the steel roof. You only give up a couple of inches of height and have a metal roof and ground plane thrown in the bargain. To say nothing of the reduced hassle of coax routing.
Bill
Old 07-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon
Hey WOOT-
Does mounting the antenna on the fiberglas roof negate the benefits of a ground plane?
Yes you need to have a ground plane. They might make a marine version of that antenna but those don't work as well plus (at least on my radio) the antenna must be able to work the 10 through the 11 meter band. Some antennas work better than others over a wide range of frequencies. The best spot on the van is probably the roof in front of the PH top. I don't know if it's possible to use the metal area around the PH as the ground plane.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:56 PM   #16

Here is a site that will answer any questions that you might have.....www.rightchannelradios.com
I plan to route a heavy gauged ground wire down to the body/frame. That is what I ment about having the wires hanging. If I didn't have the top of my cab Line-X'ed to the windshield then I would be opting for the Wilson 5000 magnetic mount. The magnetic mount grounds itself thru the magnet to the body & will not work in my case. I understand that the magnet mount works just as well, without the mounting headaches. The key is to get it as high on the van as possible but you can get antennas that will give you the extra length to clear your penthouse if that is a concern. Wilson comes with a 8 or 10 inch stem at the base, giving you the extra length. Give the website a looking over & you'll see that it has every application out there. Grounded, Non-grounded, ETC
Good Luck Woot............
WOOT is offline   Reply With Quote