Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2010, 11:21 PM   #1

Any CB radio geeks out there??

So.. I moved to Washington and plan to explore WA and OR offroad. Several local people have told me to stay off the logging roads unless I have a CB or want to meet a very fast moving log truck head on. I finally got around to digging out my old Midland 77-235 and installed it in the van this evening. Problem: I don't seem to get get squat for volume. I can barely hear the weather channel with the volume up full and no engine running. Run the engine and its completely drowned out. Anybody have any idea's? Broke or did I do something wrong? (its hooked to the old antenna (Firestick 4ft) Time for an external speaker?

Any ideas welcome.

Terry

spomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:00 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Any CB radio geeks out there??

Sounds like something more serious that's wrong but it could be the speaker. You might Check the PA button if you have one or try a remote speaker at least, and try un plugging the mic and see what happens. When things sit stuff corrodes. You are saying the internal speaker is not working correct?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:38 AM   #3

Hi Dave.

Yes, I am using the internal speaker. Ill try and find an external and see if that will work. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
Site Team

I think a CB is a great idea no matter what, but I wonder how concentrated the CB chatter from the logging truckers is on just a few channels. If the CB is suppossed to provide warning of approaching logging truckers, you'd have to know what channel to listen on. Also, with the rugged terrain in much of the forested part of Washington, the signal from a CB won't travel too far so it makes me wonder how much the truckers will be using a CB on mountain logging roads.

Herb
Old 07-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
If the CB is suppossed to provide warning of approaching logging truckers, you'd have to know what channel to listen on.
Herb
Not to mention the jargon they might use "Hey bubba I'm a comin around big bouncin bend...watch your ass " as apposed to "I'm on the lower section of 4S102". Then there is the skip thing. While at Yellowstone I was more likely able to contact someone in New Mexico over someone in the park. A lot of truckers are using frequencies above or below the CB band to avoid the skip noise. I don't know any loggers to ask.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
I wonder how concentrated the CB chatter from the logging truckers is on just a few channels. If the CB is suppossed to provide warning of approaching logging truckers, you'd have to know what channel to listen on.
Radio frequencies are quite often posted on mainlines or as you enter a road system. There are protocols for calling, but they aren't always followed. Usually some combination of the road name, mile or kilometre marking, and "up" or "down" (although you may also hear "heavy/light", "loaded/unloaded", "in/out", etc.).

Read up on logging road radio protocols, there's lots of info out there. Try to contact the forestry company, as well, if you know where you're headed. Always - ALWAYS - be looking for your next pullout. You do not want to meet a loaded, off-highway logging truck unexpectedly:

Be careful.
Brent
Old 07-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #7

Brent.. GREAT picture and your right on the money.. There is a protocol and it is usually posted which channel is being used but you CANT TRUST THAT YOU WILL HEAR EM ON THE RADIO BEFORE YOU SEE EM!!!!!

As big as SPOMO is, log truck is BIGGER!

Anyway.. problem is fixed... after much digging around on CB chat boards and web sites, I found a little note that basically said.. The output stage on a Midland 77 used pin 3 and 4 of the microphone to create ... <read long detailed technical explanation> Turns out all I had to do was plug the microphone in and there I was with FULL volume restored.. Who knew! I had installed the unit and not connected the microphone so that I wouldn't accidentally key the mike before tuning the antenna..

Moral of this store is.. make sure everything is plugged in if you want volume,, Maybe this will help somebody else without having to read a 3 page technical write up for the last two lines..
Old 07-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
Site Team

OMG!

We've got logging trucks around these parts but nothing like that. That's not a truck, that's rolling Armageddon!

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Sorry, I should have said un-plug and "plug back in". Like I said , stuff corrodes. Even the switch in the mic will corrode and can cause problems. It does operate like you found out and mic's are a common problem. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Wow, I've never seen a rig that big. Kind of scarry looking.