Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2015, 05:06 PM   #1

Any comparable full kits?? 360 Watts

The go power solar elite setup. $2,700. This is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Is there anything out there comparable to this whole kit but cheaper? I priced it out individually and found some other brands that I'd have to piece together that wasn't that much cheaper. I'd rather stick with a system that's all one brand so they compliment each other better. I think I'm just in sticker shock mode, but damn that's a huge hit. Thanks in advance for any input.

310 Watt/17.2 Amp Solar Kit

SOLAR ELITE
Specs: 320 WATT SOLAR KIT WITH
GP-SW2000-12
GP-SWR-B
GP-DC-KIT4
GP-TS
GPC-45
GPC-SMART-CONTROL
SKU: 8-39085-00165-3
Weight 104 lbs
Packaged Dimensions

Included in Kit:
GPC-Smart Control
Converts GPC Chargers to 4 Stage
SKU: 8-39085-00151-6
Weight: 0.35 lbs
Packaged Dimensions: 1.5 x 2.5 x 0.75 Inches

GPC-45, 45 Amp Battery Charger 12V, 1 Bank
45 Amp Battery Charger 12V, 1 Bank
Battery Banks: 1
Battery Charger: 45 AMP, 12V
SKU: 8-39085-00147-9
Weight: 5.5 lbs
Packaged Dimensions: 7 x 6.5 x 3.5 Inches

GP-DC-KIT4 2000-2500 WATT / 24V 3100-4000 WATT Inverter Install Kit
Includes :Pair 10' of #2/0 cable, 300 Amp Fuse & Block
SKU: 8-39085-00041-0
Weight: 11 lbs
Packaged Dimensions: 11 x 12 x 3.25 Inches

GP-SW2000-12,2000 WATT PURE SINE WAVE INVERTER 12V
Wattage: 2000
Surge: 4000, 12 Volt, 60Hz, Pure Sine Wave
SKU: 8-39085-00068-7
Weight: 19 lbs
Packaged Dimensions: 20 x 10.75 x 10.25 Inches

GP-SWR-B-12, REMOTE FOR THE 12V GP-SW1000, 2000, & 3000
SKU: 8-39085-00125-7
Weight: 1.5 lbs
Packaged Dimensions: 7.5 x 5.5 x 2.75 Inches

GP-TS,30 AMP TRANSFER SWITCH QUICK CONNECT
SKU: 8-39085-00019-9
Weight: 3.1 lbs
Packaged Dimensions:9 x 4 x 8 Inches

Gatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #2

Re: Any comparable full kits?? 360 Watts

Dang Sticker shock for sure but you get a lot. If you need all that stuff (for a homebuild) that might not be a bad deal.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #3

That's a big inverter, which is likely a big part of the cost.. Do you need that much 110 power?

You can get a Renogy 400 watt RV solar system with controller for $800 and a 1000W Tripplite inverter/charger for $400. Tack on a couple hundred for the fuses and various connectors that kit looks like it comes with, and you are still well below the cost of that. Unless I am missing something in that package.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:43 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Wow that's big. I really didn't have time to see what all comes with it but it looks nice.

Are you planning to have a generator on board? I mean that seems cheap for what all your getting but there really isn't
a need for a converter if the inverter has a charger built in unless you park and run high amp DC items. I think room would be
more of an issue. Most high end inverters have multi-stage chargers, transfer switches and some even have nice
voltage/amperage meter control panels in one package. That setup looks like it's more suited for a larger RV...not
saying it won't work. All I have is a inverter/charger (charge monitor included), a couple of panels, a solar controller
and a separate volt/amp gauge. But that sure looks like a complete set you're showing. Not sure about the wire gauge but
I see the high amp fuse is even in the bag. Looks like you'll still need to spec out the battery system and separator if you want one
which I feel is a good idea even though some people use a manual switch or don't even hook to the starting system. There is also
some reasons for not going too big on an inverter. The bigger they are the more standby power they consume just being in the on
position. I find a 2000w fine for running my big loads (like a microwave) but carry small units for the light loads. YMMV. I'd think
you could go cheaper if you spec out only what you need but when you figure about 1600 for a pure sine wave inverter/charger
and start adding all the panels which I'd guess about 1000 bucks and all the extras that might be a better deal. Of course each
company has to be rated. I spent about 1000 bucks on panels that went bad in only 4 years. Not a good investment.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #5

Perhaps a bit much.......how many AH of house batteries are you planning to have?

As mentioned, there are plenty of RV inverters that have built in chargers and transfer switches for less than $500.....some even less than around $350...

Do you need true sine wave or can you live with MSW?

A big inverter requires sufficient battery power when pulling lots of amps......and short, fat battery cables to the inverter. 1200W is 10A at 120V and 100A at 12V......

With two panels depending on how much house battery capacity you have you may end up fully charged by 9 am on sunny days....not a bad thing, but you may not need that much.

What are your plans for electrical appliances?

FWIW here is my setup (for reference):

120W kyocera panel $175
samlex 30A controller $150
samlex temp probe $35
Xantrex 1000W inverter (used) $275
...and about $100 worth of battery cables......and a battery separator.....and.....

1000W inverter may be on the small side if you want a microwave. Most 700W micros draw about 1000W.

If I were buying another inverter I'd probably do a 1500W.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:21 PM   #6

@rallypanam

I know the inverter is overkill. I'm not going to be using the inverter much (charging stuff, tv, microwave). I'm going to be charging 4s LiPo's for my drone every night. I would like to plug in as little as possible. I've been finding most of the panels are rated around 100w. I only have room for 2 panels. So I want to get as much out of them as possible. As soon as you start getting over 130w they start to get exponentially more expensive. I only found the inverter online for cheaper, $750 compared to $1000. At the price increase of buying it all separately it evens out.

@dave

Na no generator. One of the things that attracted me to this the most was the completeness. I'm one for sticking with one brand throughout a whole system so that was another thing. I'm worried about buying some off brand crap too. I still need to research what batteries and what not. I'm going to keep the solar system completely separate from the van starting system. I'm going to keep on researching, but I figured I'd make a thread incase someone could chime in with a deal before I figure out what I want.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

I know nothing about the quality of that system or each of its pieces. For example the inverter might be fine and the panels might fail quicker than others. I have been the beta tester on a lot of things that have come back and bit me in the ass like the Solara panels I once had. I'm not saying you can't find a better product out there just be careful.

I bought a pure sine wave inverter only because I run very expensive electronics from time to time. I know a modified wave inverter like the Tripplites are well made and maybe that's all you need. Mine has a multi-stage charger and control monitor which comes in handy. 2000w is large but like I said having an extra small one on board is nice for reasons mentioned.

Some panels are designed for RV use; some aren't but what most here are using here seem to be well suited for vans. There are lots of choices but some thought in what to purchase depends on whether or not you'll plan to add a top on your van down the road. I wouldn't count that out as you might change your mind and it does have a factor on resale as well. 1400-1800w usually covers most small microwaves.

The way it sounds you really don't need a converter, rather a inverter/multi-stage charger. Whether or not you want to be able to plug into shore power is up to you but to use the inverter to charge the battery system (other than using the alternator or solar) you'll need to be able to plug into shore power. I'd never rely on solar only because there might be times on the road that you'll find it a nice feature, mainly in overcast skies while parked. That said since 2006 I've never used it unless parked on the driveway at home and that is just to maintain the batteries. If you never plan to use shore power you could totally rely on the engine and solar to do the charging but you run the chance of lowering the life of the house battery system if you never find sun for several days. Still there are people that are set up that way. Your inverter would be way cheaper and the install more basic.

You will need some kind of relay (either a isolator or separator) so you can charge from the alternator to the house battery system. How elaborate you want to make that is up to you. I prefer an automatic separator but some feel a switch or isolator works OK. At least with my separator it keeps both starting and house systems charged using solar and it's all automatic...out of site out of mind. It also keeps from discharging the starting batteries if you use too much off the house system.

Here are a couple of typical schematics:

With a generator and transfer switch:

You can also go basic and just use the outlets on the inverter, so you don't need a massive electrical outlet system. Totally up to you.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:10 PM   #8

What the dimensions of the solar panels?
Old 06-09-2015, 08:09 PM   #9

Thanks for the diagrams. I'm a visual person so that really helps. I'm almost talking myself into it. Maybe by the end of the week if I don't find anything better.

@1der
58.3 x 26.5 x 1.38 in / 1482 x 674 x 35 mm
http://gpelectric.com/products/overlander-solar-kit
Old 06-09-2015, 08:16 PM   #10

Thought the dimensions might be around what you listed. Make sure you lay that out on your roof. You may be surprised at what you find. You will likely have overhang if mounted laterally, or side by side, or you will use up the length of your roof if end to end.