Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #1

Anyone use a water tank monitor?

We're considering having 2 16 gallon tanks and then the gray water tank. Would like to have a tank monitor with all the other electrical readouts.

Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:42 PM   #2

Should not be a problem... are you connecting the two tanks so they balance out? If so you would only need one gauge for fresh water otherwise use a monitor from a large RV that has three gauges, you could just use the "Grey" or "Sewer" sender and gauge for your second tank.
I never worry about my grey level as we try to dump it every day (only 6 gallons). When the sink won't drain, its time! I installed this gauge on my oversized fresh water tank and its great... Kib Enterpr M21VW Micro Monitor System

Its the KIB micro monitor... beats me exactly how it functions but its worked for the last two years.
T
Old 07-21-2016, 10:11 PM   #3

I purchased a "Garnet Technologies Inc." tank monitor called "Sealevel II".

Haven't installed it yet but it looks to be easy to install. You must have plastic tanks for it to work. It will handle 3 tanks.
DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:11 AM   #4

I have used the non-contact sensor from http://www.ferriellosales.com/Monitoring_Systems.html.

I have not used their monitors, but have no complaints with the sensor, or the service I received.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by torboschen View Post
Should not be a problem... are you connecting the two tanks so they balance out? If so you would only need one gauge for fresh water otherwise use a monitor from a large RV that has three gauges, you could just use the "Grey" or "Sewer" sender and gauge for your second tank.
I never worry about my grey level as we try to dump it every day (only 6 gallons). When the sink won't drain, its time! I installed this gauge on my oversized fresh water tank and its great... Kib Enterpr M21VW Micro Monitor System

Its the KIB micro monitor... beats me exactly how it functions but its worked for the last two years.
T

Ah that's a good point about balancing. I guess just enough to read two tanks, then.

Thanks guys - will look into those.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:54 PM   #6

In my previous SMB, I just "gauged" the opaque grey water tank off of the freshwater tank, which of course I could just look at. But... I did have a few "oops" moments, and/or times I curtailed because I thought it was pretty full, but then it actually wasn't.

So, going by the corresponding freshwater tank volume, never worked all that well for me. I think it was a combination of the fact that I didn't pee into the grey tank (and that's where some of my freshwater tank exited), plus I would sometimes pour water down the drain that didn't come from the fresh tank. With the tank being fairly small, little things made a difference. Of course it wasn't life or death, but a grey tank gauge would have been nice.

Now on next van have bought a See Level gauge although haven't installed it yet. One note is that in my pre-buying research, there was some indication that the See Level with the optional water tank switch might have some issues with heat/fire. Maybe just a fluke, but after calling them and asking about it (which I forget the details of), I decided just to buy the gauge without the built in water pump switch. Didn't necessarily want the water pump switch in the same location anyway.

If you happen to have a fairly short tank (height-wise), they have shorter sensor strips that will be more accurate for shorter tanks. If you know this when you are ordering they can sub in a shorter strip from the get-go (otherwise they are a bit pricey to buy individually, and the kit comes with the average height strips).
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:17 PM   #7
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
AI use a highly sensitive meter called my eyes ...but i do use the gray water almost everyday (when we are camping) to drown/put out embers from the campfire...my wife thought of it one day when we were not around a water source and running low on fresh...
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
AI use a highly sensitive meter called my eyes.
I wish I could do that. But the grey water tank on both my SMB and my current van are black ABS-like plastic. No way to see through. I wash dishes in my sink, so the grey water is not really suitable for pouring out right in camp (food and fat particles attracting rodents/flies, etc.)
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:00 AM   #9

For fresh water we use a sight tube.
Attached Thumbnails
P1090829c.jpg  

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:54 AM   #10

Google "tank tender". Non electric and as reliable as a rock. Never any issues in 15 years of use
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote