Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #1

Question Anyone using DragonFly Lithium Ion (from Reno) ?

Anyone using DragonFly Lithium Ion (from Reno) ?

I’m told that they are $960 for 100 amp hours, but they last 3-4 times as long as AGM, so are a bargain in the long run.
Initial price isn’t as quite as crazy as I thought it would be.

Plus maybe with dual solar I could get away with just one. (maybe… unsure)
Especially as I could discharge as low as 20%, not 50%-ish ....

They have the various advantages of Li-ion:

from their FAQ:
Li-ion batteries feature the highest energy density, by far.
Li-ion batteries may be charged and discharged at a faster rate than any other battery.
Li-ion batteries contain no toxic components and are environmentally safe.
Li-ion batteries last far longer than any other type of rechargeable battery.
Li-ion batteries may be discharged deeper than any other battery.
Li-ion batteries do not suffer from memory effects.
Li-ion batteries have a lower self-discharge rate than other battery types.

FAQ - Dragonfly Energy

thanks for any thoughts and info.

John

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
Anyone using DragonFly Lithium Ion (from Reno) ?I’m told that they are $960 for 100 amp hours, but they last 3-4 times as long as AGM, so are a bargain in the long run.
There are plenty of reasons to like Lithium batterys, but I don't think saving money is at the top of the list. You can get two 6v 220Ah batterys for about $170 at Costco. In series, that gives you 110Ah of power at a 50% discharge rate for way less money, Dont' forget to add in the cost for a proper Lithium charging system too and the fact they can't be outside if you expect freezing temps. If you have other reasons besides cost, Lithium may be just what you need, but saving money probably isn't justification enough.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #3

Lithium batteries become non-functional below freezing and can endure damage if you try to do so. For this reason, they need to be inside the vehicle. RVIA requires all batteries to be either underneath the vehicle, or, if inside the vehicle, contained within vented battery boxes, even though Lithiums do not vent gasses, particularly poisonous ones.

Large RVs usually have big airtight compartments constructed by the RV maker for battery containment. Makers of smaller RVs employ prefabricated battery boxes, which have extrusions and flanges, making them actually take up about twice the volume of the battery itself. They also must use two vent pipes connected to exterior vent ports.

Lithionics makes a single 600Ah battery that is self contained and connects to a proprietary controller that no other battery is compatible with. Following extensive UL testing, it appears as though this may become the only RVIA approved battery for installation without a battery box.

Everyone knows Lithiums are safe, but the issue RVIA has is that an individual might remove an unboxed lithium on his own, replace it with a lead-acid battery, inhale Hydrogen Sulfide gas, and die. This really is a valid POV. That one Lithionics battery can't simply be replaced because no other battery can plug into the separate controller that comes with it. For a whole lot more info., including technical details posted personally by the Lithionics chief electrical engineer, see p. 9 of my build thread.

SMB highly values its RVIA approval rating and will not install any battery in a manner that isn't RVIA approved. RVIA is not a regulatory agency, but is a voluntary association of RV manufacturers who agree to abide by common safety standards. Aftermarket upfitters typically do not care about RVIA and can legally install any lithium battery you choose. Just be aware that SMB will not do it (excepting the outcome of that one 600Ah Lithionics) (but an after delivery upfitter will) and you still likely need to carry it inside the rig due to the temperature issue.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
Lithium batteries become non-functional below freezing and can endure damage if you try to do so. For this reason, they need to be inside the vehicle. RVIA requires all batteries to be inside vented battery boxes, even though Lithiums do not vent gasses, particularly poisonous ones.

Large RVs usually have big airtight compartments constructed by the RV maker for battery containment. Makers of smaller RVs employ prefabricated battery boxes, which have extrusions and flanges, making them actually take up about twice the volume of the battery itself. They also must use two vent pipes connected to exterior vent ports.

Lithionics makes a single 600Ah battery that is self contained and connects to a proprietary controller that no other battery is compatible with. Following extensive UL testing, it appears as though this may become the only RVIA approved battery for installation without a battery box.

Everyone knows Lithiums are safe, but the issue RVIA has is that an individual might remove an unboxed lithium on his own, replace it with a lead-acid battery, inhale Hydrogen Sulfide gas, and die. This really is a valid POV. That one Lithionics battery can't simply be replaced because no other battery can plug into the separate controller that comes with it.

SMB highly values its RVIA approval rating and will not install any battery in a manner that isn't RVIA approved. RVIA is not a regulatory agency, but is an voluntary association of RV manufacturers who agree to abide by common safety standards. Aftermarket upfitters typically do not care about RVIA and can legally install any lithium battery you choose. Just be aware that SMB will not do it (excepting the outcome of that one 600Ah Lithionics) and you still likely need to carry it inside the rig due to the temperature issue.
All great info - thanks TomH!

Good thing we have time on our side..... the build is probably a year + away.

cheers

John
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
All great info - thanks TomH!

Good thing we have time on our side..... the build is probably a year + away.

cheers

John
John,

Was that your first thought when you learned just how long your new build would take?

SMB: Give us a deposit and maybe you will have a van in 18 months

John: Good thing the build is a year + away

(Sorry, I couldn’t resist....!)
Old 01-11-2018, 07:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
John,

Was that your first thought when you learned just how long your new build would take?

SMB: Give us a deposit and maybe you will have a van in 18 months

John: Good thing the build is a year + away

(Sorry, I couldn’t resist....!)
Yea, I'm having trouble maintaining enthusiasm for my build over such a long time,
Old 01-15-2018, 11:01 PM   #7

OH I had no idea that cold damages Lithium batteries Im glad I read this post...I live in a deep cold zone and have only used 2 6volt bat and that has worked out for me they are still expensive were I am but they have lasted up to 10 years and have survived -30c temps
Old 01-16-2018, 08:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Expedition View Post
I live in a deep cold zone and have only used 2 6volt bat and that has worked out for me they are still expensive were I am but they have lasted up to 10 years and have survived -30c temps
10 Years? Wow, that amazing. Perhaps the cold agrees with them. I've been buying inexpensive Costco 6 volts but only seem to get two or three years from them, probably due at least in part to the fact I seem to deeply discharge them on a regular basis. What type do you use?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #9

The brand is called Polar but think its just a generic battery with that sticker put on but I do keep them well charged the best I can with solar. I tried the 12volt deep cycle marine batteries after but I only got 2 years out of them they just stopped holding a charge I am back to the 6 volt again only have about a year and a half on the current set..
I am trying to find a set of 6 volt that have not had battery acid put in em but I keep getting told that they fill em up right away at the factory and dont send em out anymore dry just want a set to put away for that rainy day...
Old 01-16-2018, 08:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Expedition View Post
The brand is called Polar but think its just a generic battery with that sticker put on but I do keep them well charged the best I can with solar. I tried the 12volt deep cycle marine batteries after but I only got 2 years out of them they just stopped holding a charge I am back to the 6 volt again only have about a year and a half on the current set..
I am trying to find a set of 6 volt that have not had battery acid put in em but I keep getting told that they fill em up right away at the factory and dont send em out anymore dry just want a set to put away for that rainy day...
If you do that and also keep high concentration sulfuric acid on hand, please be sure to package it such that there is no chance at all for leaking, breathing, puncture, or access by children. I used to teach HS sciences (including chemistry) and having high concentration H2SO4 sitting around is not something to do without great caution.