Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #11

Re: Anything wrong with this cheap generator?

Thanks for the input everyone! I'll look for a cheaper knock-off version or used Honda on CL. If anyone has a Honda 1000 they want to sell, let me know. Like I said earlier, just want something to keep my house batt. powered up and power a single light and cycling furnace at our snowmobile/skiing base camps.

tortorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #12

I had a Honda 1000 and it would not charge my SMB. My Triplite 1500 Inverter charger would cycle on and off continually. One day I was away from camp and my buddies heard a loud pop and saw smoke coming from under the bunk where the inverter charger was. I got lucky, no fire and it didn't burn up the inverter. I sold it and got a Honda EU2000 and love it. Super quiet, dependable, clean power and did a great job charging my SMB. I would suggest saving up for the same one, its a much better product and you'll only have to buy it once.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #13

About a year ago my son and his friend were living in an RV and their generator failed. They bought this one from Harbor Freight and it lasted about 2 months. They said it was a real piece of crap. I have another friend who has one for emergency standby. I have not heard him complain. Yes they are much louder than a Honda. They are not inverting type so don't use it with any sensitive equipment.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS
Probably could be solved with 300-400 feet of 10 ga. extension cords.
Let me state right off that one of the reasons we got 4WD was to get away from generators. We would never have one and find them very disturbing. But the comment regarding extension cords reminded me of camping in Great Basin National Park a few years ago while coming back from Colorado. The area outside this park was farmland so we were somewhat stuck with the NP. We picked and paid for our campsite and later someone selected a site nearby. Of course, he felt the need to turn on his generator late in the afternoon but placed it a good 200' from his camper so that he couldn't near it that much. But that put is much less than 200' from our campsite. When a ranger came by, we mentioned it to him and the generator was soon moved....
Old 12-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #15
Site Team

Garage

if you need one just bite the bullet and get a honda you will not be disapointed. I'm still waiting to buy mine but love to use others.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
my law mower
Boy, a law mower might be a great thing to have, and I say that as a lawyer

Take a look at the Yamaha gennies as well; I have one and it's great. We debate whether it's quieter than the Honda, but it's close. Quiet is worth paying for, trust me.

It's only rated for 5 hours at 50%; the Yamahas and Hondas run much longer. Probably not an issue camping, but nice for remote work and emergencies. The HF is also heavier by far. The Yam/Hons have two outlets and energy saver modes (although those aren't useful for charging since the pull from your van makes it cycle on and off constantly). And you don't have to mix oil; with mine I can just throw the gas in the van when I don't need it in the gennie.

Rob
Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #17

a little late here, but if you are still looking you will never beat a Honda but as you know they are not cheap. If you want the best bang for the buck, you can go with the Kipor as mentioned earlier or I would recommend a fairly new company called PowerHouse. They put out a really nice product. It's a true RMS generator so you can run electronics off of it. It's pretty quiet, comes with a remote start, key start and pull start. Also has a two year warranty.
time2mtbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #18

"Buy the best and cry only once"
I, too, bought a Honda 1000i and it would not charge my SMB. I had to buy a Honda 2000i and love it.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote