Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #1

ARB Fridge Wiring Harness Battery to Interior Access Route?

'99 Ford E350 4x4:

I want to run the wire from the battery to the interior of the van and locate the socket on the interior plastic panel trim somewhere behind the drivers seat. From battery following the antenna wire leads to an additional sealed port between the door and the interior wall is one possibility.

What would be best or other approach in your opinion?

Ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:24 PM   #2

Got it sorted out. Finished the install.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:43 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
Got it sorted out. Finished the install.
Would you share your solution?

I recently ran a wire through my firewall, found great drill bit access for a suitable grommet hole just a bit right of the steering column. Of course I already had most of the intake ducting removed for a project--worked out great.

Also on this same van there's a #4 cable running from the stock battery to the back for a formerly installed wheel chair lift. The upfitter ran it across the front of the radiator, down through the left side fender and up again in the factory holes located in the driver's side foot well. Not the best since it's exposed to the weather and potential road debris damage but a no-drill solution none the less.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Would you share your solution?

I recently ran a wire through my firewall, found great drill bit access for a suitable grommet hole just a bit right of the steering column. Of course I already had most of the intake ducting removed for a project--worked out great.

Also on this same van there's a #4 cable running from the stock battery to the back for a formerly installed wheel chair lift. The upfitter ran it across the front of the radiator, down through the left side fender and up again in the factory holes located in the driver's side foot well. Not the best since it's exposed to the weather and potential road debris damage but a no-drill solution none the less.

There was a straight path from the battery between the fender and the wall of the engine compartment. If you open the passenger door, you can see where the antenna comes into a dedicated, sealed grommet leading to the inside removable panel and down into the step cover. Looking straight back from the open door where the antenna wire is, there is a small (1/2")square opening in the sheet metal leading to the area first mentioned. It just seemed to be part of the construction, but it was a straight shot through without any obstruction. Just above and farther in from the antenna grommet is another painted (same as body color), closed/sealed, flat grommet that leads to the same removable panel. I just fed electricians fish tape throught the square hole to the battery, attached the wire and pulled it through. Punched a small hole in the sealed grommet and put the wire through. Down through the step, under the carpet behind the seats, up into the left column behind the drivers seat and over into the panel below the windows. Installed the plug in there, with Napa female, heat shrink/adhesive terminals from wire to plug male. So, access to interior is, will be, dry as a bone. Worked ideally, I believe.