Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Back-up Camera-Latest thoughts

All I got are sensors, no camera. Works OK for me as I would be less inclined to look at a camera over the mirrors anyway and the sensor gives audio as well as location+distance. A combo of both would be great. Hear a tone then check the mirrors and camera. Just costly. I have had an aluminess bumper VS Altima incounter and the Altima lost big time. As long as you're faithful in using a camera it might be a worthwhile investment. Its just that one time you didn't look that might hurt.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:26 AM   #12

I use my rear camera ALL the time. I keep my back window shades closed. Of course I rely on the mirrors, but the camera lets you know if there is a kid back there that the mirrors will not see (or looking out the back windows for that matter).

It is just extra insurance. Not to be used by itself.

When a passenger is with me, I always direct them to watch the monitor; and I use the mirrors.

steve

PS the camera is also excellent for watching your trailer, or tow vehicle if you tow.
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:01 PM   #13

I just had Total Vision Products install an approach camera and a tail camera on my rig with a 7"
Sony drop down monitor . It's a sweet high end, hard wired system. The approach camera is installed underneath the top rung of the front bumper. [Aluminess]The tail cam is located in the rear bumper. The drop down monitor is in the headliner. It can handle 3 cameras so I might have one installed underneath for clearance.
Any of you who had attended the Overland Expo may have dropped by their booth. I was only able to attend for a few hours on Sunday. Most of you were out on the course, so I did not get to meet any one.
I had been looking for a backup camera and noticed all the cameras on their table and stopped by. They are the ones who had the yellow FJ Crusier with 8 cameras and 4 monitors in it. Plus they are located in Tucson so I got lucky.
I'll send pics as soon as I figure out the how to.

http://www.totalvisionproducts.com

Moccasin Joe Ambush CU

Bob in Tucson
Old 06-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #14

We have a Kenwood head unit with a 7 inch flip out monitor that we have our back up camera hooked to. It helps a ton trying to back up or back up to a trailer, I wouldn't be with out it after having it, hugh time & damage saver! Besides it was fairly inexpensive, & easy to install, besides much cheaper then one oops!
I'll try & post all of our progress on our family dream, when we have some.....
AdventureRider is offline   Reply With Quote