Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #1

Back up camera suggestions

Everything's connected.

I want to go to San Diego for some suspension work.

But I want to travel with itunes and bluetooth, which my van doesn't have. So I am off to the car stereo store this morning for an install.

While I am upgrading the audio, I may as well install a back-up camera.

Sooooo, what do you suggest?

Broadly, there seem to be three three types:

Cheap/easy are the license plate frame mounted ones.

Expensiver and slightly harder are the surface mounts. (Benefit is better quality and you can mount it higher on the vehicle and see more)

Expensivist and hardest are the barrel flush mounted units.

For extra eyes in the campground and at Walmart, would you (or did you) install anything other than the cheapest available? If so, why?

Brand name and model?

Thanks in advance.

(FWIW: I am not soooo lame that I didn't try to search for "back up camera." The system did not return anything germane, so I have started this new thread. If it has previously been discussed, I would sure appreciate a pointer.)

Esmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #2

Re: Back up camera suggestions

I will be following this with interest. The multiple dents on my van's rear attest to the need for one when navigating difficult terrain off-road.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #3

When are you heading down to SD? I can help you install your stereo if you aren't leaving for a few days. I've installed quite a few and they're pretty easy if you have the parts/tools needed. No worries if you're already set on taking it to a shop...just thought I'd offer.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #4

My thoughts from years driving delivery vehicles and my own mount up high on the rear of my van.
First, mount the camera up high!
Second, I would suggest mounting the monitor up high too instead of using the head unit/stereo style.
I have a dash monitor in my current van and love it but personally I like my rear view camera live at all times to monitor trailers/bike racks/traffic, etc. My suggestion is mounting the rear camera monitor in place of or above the rear view mirror. This lets you glance back there without taking your eyes off the road. Peripheral vision is pretty important. This is super simple if you already have the wooden SMB storage tray above the front seats, because you have a nice flat spot to mount between the mirrors and no worries with drilling holes in the factory sheet metal, which could all too easily lead to popping through the body above the windshield if you weren't careful.
I used a Boyo license plate style camera off Amazon, but it looks kinda silly up there. Boyo makes GREAT cameras and you can probably find a better style. Check Amazon. Also, if you mount on the PH above the third brake light, you can run the cable through the light/wiring sleeve and under the trim along the inside of the van all the way to the front above the seats without too much work. Most factory camera cables are around 20' so there should be just enough cable to do this. I did mine low (under the window line) and almost ran out of cable.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #5

I sometimes pull a small trailer, so I opted for a high mounted backup camera. And, since I didn't want to try and run the optic cable from rear to front, I opted for wireless camera. Works great for backing up, especially with the trailer. Similar to this:

http://www.rvcams.com/merchant2/merchan ... ory_Code=1

For use on a single van, the license plate models are a bunch cheaper but limit your view to knee high.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #6

I installed a Kenwood double-DIN headunit in my EB Ford. First installed a Boyo camera near the license plate, then got a good deal on a Kenwood camera and moved it up to the PH near the third brake light, as my bike rack was blocking the camera in the license-plate area. The Kenwood camera seems a bit better than the Boyo, but not by a huge amount.

See these postings for more thoughts:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12071
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9377
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #7

Garage

You can see my original setup here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6640&p=57752#p57752

Since then, I have replaced the rear camera with the BOYO VTB301 camera and mounted it to the rear of the penthouse top.

I notched the original top brake light and fed the cable through the tail light and up to the front.

The built-in microphone works with my monitor and the angle makes it easy to see how much space there is between my rear end and whatever I am about to back into.

Steve in L.A.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #8

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
I installed a Kenwood double-DIN headunit in my EB Ford. First installed a Boyo camera near the license plate, then got a good deal on a Kenwood camera and moved it up to the PH near the third brake light, as my bike rack was blocking the camera in the license-plate area. The Kenwood camera seems a bit better than the Boyo, but not by a huge amount.

See these postings for more thoughts:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12071
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9377

+1. Very happy having the backup camera integrated with the stereo unit.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #9

Thanks for the offer! Shortly after my post, I dumped the van with Angel at Lombard's Car Audio (I owe him some biz for straightening out a bad install from another outfit last year.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
When are you heading down to SD? I can help you install your stereo if you aren't leaving for a few days. I've installed quite a few and they're pretty easy if you have the parts/tools needed. No worries if you're already set on taking it to a shop...just thought I'd offer.
I haven't made a determination on what camera type (or which camera) yet, and I think I will hold off and cogitate it a little longer. Thanks all, for the input. Keep it coming!
Esmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Had mine integrated into my Alpine head unit that pops on when I put it in reverse, also added an accessory bypass switch to monitor it while driving, pretty slick. As far as cameras avail, not sure what is out there now, check amazon, mines several years old, but my stereo guy got me a Vizualogic its pretty stealth and mounts flat, I had it mounted below the rear doors and gives a pretty good on level view of whats behind, but I mainly wanted it mounted low so I could hook up the boat and the trailer, has a perfect view over the top of the ball mount and I'm able to line up perfectly every time. As far as location, it depends on what you need/want it for. I have seen some of the images of ones mounted up high and I felt it gave a fishbowl effect and threw of depth perception, plus it did not give the angle needed to see the hitch for mounting up, could just have been that particular camera, but in any case, was not suitable for my needs.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote