Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #11

Re: Backup Camera in Visor - Recs?

As a followup to my last reply, I have gotten very good at parallel parking, thanks in part to the camera. I know how far I can go without bumping the car behind me. It still amazes me how easy these vans are to drive and park. (I do have an RB).

Just a note: my camera has moved before (like an eighth of an inch) so check it from time to time so make sure the field of view did not change enough to distort your point of reference.

steve

Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:02 PM   #12

I'm new to the backup camera, but I already can't live without it. The price is basically equivalent to one moderate mistake, and less hassle. I want one for my Jeep now.

My only comment on the visor one is you have to engage to see- the one time you're too busy bothered to flip down the visor might be the one that you really needed the camera. I can see where it would be in the way as well... of course I use mine for flat-tow monitoring and merging- invaluable to have it on when not in R in my opinion.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:21 AM   #13

Thanks, everyone. We've decided to go ahead with this model, after a fair amount of research. I'll update once it's in place.

Sandi
Old 08-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #14

Update as promised:

We bought the camera and visor monitor from Visor-View.

My DH didn't like the monitor once we got it - much thicker than anticipated, and we couldn't figure out a way to 1) shim the monitor in the visor, once it was installed, and 2) prevent the visor from continually swinging down into our view due to the weight once installed.

So we returned the monitor, and kept the camera.

We're now in the process of installing a Gentex rear view mirror monitor, which will work with the camera we bought. It's this one (although not purchased from this site):

http://www.autoanything.com/mirrors/61A3727A0A0.aspx

We should be using it this coming weekend, so updates will follow.

Sandi
Old 08-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #15

We have a backup camera in a different vehicle, and are putting one in our current SMB build. We are also putting in backup sensors in the SMB.

The reason is truly simple. When I was young a neighbor drove over her own child because she could not see well behind her car. The anguish and guilt over the mutilated child haunted her forever. I do not want to ever have such an experience. Neither do you.

A 10,000 pound van can do much damage, and is hard or even impossible to back up for those less skilled than others. Problems are not unlikely. Guilt over an event is intolerable, and avoiding such guilt is worth waaaaaaaaaay more than the cost of a sensor and/or backup camera.

Think of it as doing everything possible to avoid torturing yourself for crushing an innocent child. Anyone can still make a mistake even with a backup camera etc., but having the gear is the best you can do.
RoamFarNWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #16

People, the discussion was NOT about the pros and cons of a backup camera.

It was about a VISOR-MOUNTED monitor.

That is all.

Sandi
Old 08-27-2010, 11:59 AM   #17

Yes, thankfully this is the FIRST TIME EVER we got off topic.