Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2007, 08:51 AM   #1

Backup Cameras Again - Options

I’ve finally come to the conclusion that I need a backup camera system in our SMB after “knocking down” a cheap parking sign while reversing into a spot. Luckily the spare tire mounted on the rear of the van makes for a fantastic sign crusher…I mean protective bumper.

With that being said, I’m trying to come up with an unobtrusive monitor system. I’ve seen several different options: mounted on the visor, the rear view mirror is used the monitor also, a flip down monitor and one that is just mounted somewhere on the dash. That last option does not appeal to me, especially since it is just another reason to give a potential thief to break into your car. I forgot a fifth option, one that flips out of your stereo, however we already have a stereo and I don’t want to replace it. Does anyone have any experience with the other three options? Also, what type of camera have you used and where did you mount it (flush mount or surface mount)? Note: I do not have a custom rear bumper, just the trojan tire carrier.

My last question is has anyone hooked up a GPS system to the monitor used for the backup camera? I’m guessing it could be done if you are using a laptop for navigation. What about a handheld unit? Could it be rigged to display through the monitor?

Old 12-19-2007, 01:51 PM   #2

I know the dedicated backup monitor has a 4th input that can either be a 4th camera or a typical video device over composite (yellow cable) signal.

However, there seem to be few options for routing the display of a handheld unit out to an external display. I know Jage was looking into this a while back and I think his searches led him towards some marine products.

Also, there are a few problems with the ones where the display is IN the rearview mirror that are hard to realize until you go to install one.

a: the display is a little small to really be useful

b: the wiring can be a mess.

There's not a lot of room in the overhead right there, and the cabling for my rearview monitor system had to be routed out of the roof further away from the windshield than I would have liked.

You can sorta see my rearview monitor in this picture:

It hangs from about 3 inches away from the glass. Since that pic I've removed the standard rearview mirror, as it's useless.

I believe I spent around $1500 for the monitor and all three cameras (there are two under the side mirrors for the blind spots) and it was installed by Rob and Randy of Integrated Audio Solutions (the guys at the SMB factory).

One thing I really like is that it's keyed to the turn signal to show that side's blind spot. It really does make the van less intimidating to drive in traffic.

It's a voyager system, and of all the gadgets I have in the van I'm really surprised by how much I like it more than I thought I would.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:29 PM   #3

What kind of GPS you got in there Buji?? Looks like it has the two track on the maping software.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:02 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to lowracer
I bought an $80 wireless rearview camera system at Costco. It works great. Color screen is velcro-strapped to the overhead shelf and the camera slips in with an angle bracket behind the license plate. Was fairly easy to install and gives a nice bright image that makes backing up painless. It does have an aux video input but I don't know any handheld GPS receiver that would have a video output for this.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:18 AM   #5

Thanks for all the information. Buji - your SMB has more and higher end electronics in it than my entire company does! It is really impressive as I've said before.

I'm hoping to have the monitor that displays the backup image mounted in a discreet location such as the sun visor or a "replacement" rear view mirror. I've also considered a drop down headliner monitor. Has anyone used any of these three solutions or any other suggestions on that? I really like having a simple, clean looking interior that does not attract attention.

I do not believe a license plate bracket camera will work since the license plate is partially obstructed by the ladder that is attached to the rear passenger door. I'm going to need to be a bit creating in installing the camera portion. I've considered a key-hole camera mounted through the metal stock bumper or mounting something on the roof (near the third brake light) or something attached to the hitch receiver.

As far as GPS goes, I'm strongly leaning towards the Lowrance XOG. It would work for both street navigation and off road use. It would also be better in the vehicle than a hand held such as the Garming 76CSX although it would be limited while hiking. However, I've never used a GPS hiking in the past so I do not see this as an issue.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowracer
I bought an $80 wireless rearview camera system at Costco. It works great. Color screen is velcro-strapped to the overhead shelf and the camera slips in with an angle bracket behind the license plate. Was fairly easy to install and gives a nice bright image that makes backing up painless. It does have an aux video input but I don't know any handheld GPS receiver that would have a video output for this.
I initially bought this system at Costco and still have it. I did end up having Rob at Integrated Audio install a dedicated backup camera the last time I was at SMB West though. This system displays the video on my in-dash screen. I still use the Costco camera to aid in hiching up my trailer, since its mounted as a license plate frame.

Herb
Old 03-24-2008, 06:33 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
OK..... so we need two cameras to provide input to our 3.5 inch creen for backup viewing.

We want one for front and one for rear (yes that would not technically be backing up).

We want them to be wired (as in not wireless).

We are not looking for a fancy video system, but rather something to keep us from backing into or over something. in other words...not expensive.

It would be fine to have something at each license plate location.

...and we need suggestions... what do folks have that they like?

suggestions? thoughts?
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:35 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
How do these look?

http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/PLCM ... amera.html

and

http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/SHK3 ... nitor.html

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:12 PM   #9

Keep in mind that most cameras are reverse cameras, meaning they are a mirror image. If you point that camera forward it will be a reversed image. You will need to find a camera that is meant to be pointed forward, and is not reversed. I learned this the hard way. My reverse camera is a very nice Pioneer. I tried this on the front but it did not work. I ended up with a Crimestopper that can be set up for reverse or forward view. Some in dash systems may handle the reversing for you. But for my Alpine, it did not and I had to have the two differnt type of cameras.

Hope this helps.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:08 PM   #10

Steve definitely gave you some good advice. I've actually put my backup camera plans on hold for a bit. The main reason is that I didn't like the way anything would look and nothing was ideal (yes I sound like Goldilocks).

The disadvantage to the flip screen is that you actually need to flip it down every time you wanted to use the camera. However, this probably isn't a huge deal. Greg, if you are going this route and you think you would also want to ever watch DVD's in your van, this could work well for you. Just get a bigger screen than 3'5".

We have to go back up to Fresno in late May to get a window leak fixed. I'm hoping to have a backup camera system installed while we are there. Supposedly, Rob is getting a new mirror monitor that would replace the stock mirror (not clip on to it) that could be exactly what I wanted.