Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2018, 02:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
Good link on wire strippers, terminals, crimpers, etc. https://marinehowto.com/marine-wire-termination/

-greg
Great website, thanks for sharing.

I read the entire piece, and have to admit, I learned quite a bit. It has been bookmarked.

We did very few wire splices or terminations where I used to work, but for the more heavy-duty stuff -- like pin bonds to the running rails -- we used Amp butt splices and Amp crimpers.

sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:21 AM   #22
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
Good link on wire strippers, terminals, crimpers, etc. https://marinehowto.com/marine-wire-termination/

-greg
This is a superb article, something a lot of people unfamiliar or inexperienced with crimping wire terminals and the tooling needed to do quality terminations.

I use the S&G Toolaid brand of ratcheting crimping tools with interchangeable dies covering many, many different types of terminals. While I agree for the most part the best tools come from the terminal manufacturers the Toolaid brand is an excellent less expensive alternative.

They have dies specifically for fully insulated Quick Disconnect terminals, uninsulated terminals, Molex terminals as well as WeatherPack too. If there's a down side its there is almost no instruction available how to insert terminals or where to buy the dies not commonly sold by automotive related vendors. Their website isn't the best but emails for help are returned promptly, that being a relative term.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:44 AM   #23

Garage
I'll vote for the ideal style as well. I picked up the Klein version from HD. The auto ones are nice in their own right and can strip multiple small wires at a time if you're really concerned about saving a few seconds but I find them bulky and difficult to use when wiring in vehicle, especially on OEM wires. ANd, for what it's worth, I've been designing & installing 12v for about 20 years now. From full engine management to audio, security, lighting, etc. Cheers!

KICKYRIDE.COM - DIY remote start & security kits
mikewithered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:56 AM   #24

With over 35 years in the electrical/electronics field, I always have a pair of the Ideal strippers in my tools. Have tried everything else but the Ideal are truly the best. YMMV

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
This is a superb article, something a lot of people unfamiliar or inexperienced with crimping wire terminals and the tooling needed to do quality terminations.

I use the S&G Toolaid brand of ratcheting crimping tools with interchangeable dies covering many, many different types of terminals. While I agree for the most part the best tools come from the terminal manufacturers the Toolaid brand is an excellent less expensive alternative.

They have dies specifically for fully insulated Quick Disconnect terminals, uninsulated terminals, Molex terminals as well as WeatherPack too. If there's a down side its there is almost no instruction available how to insert terminals or where to buy the dies not commonly sold by automotive related vendors. Their website isn't the best but emails for help are returned promptly, that being a relative term.
Thanks JWA, I wasn't aware of 'Toolaid'. I like the idea of interchangeable dies. Unless a person is constantly working with different size terminals, that is a good way to go.

Strange that their website isn't more informative -- especially when it comes to telling customers where to buy additional dies.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:53 PM   #26

I agree that the Klein type linked to in post #2 can be nice -- when they work:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...063W/204660476

When the hole in the cutters is the correct size for the wire, the cutters are sharp enough (some insulation is very tough), and the spring pressure is adequate, they are really slick.

They do often work well, esp with certain types of wire, but when they don't work it can be frustrating, and there isn't much you can do about it.

The Ideal type are obviously a much simpler design but they give the user more control.