Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2015, 09:05 PM   #21

Re: Basics: Butt Connectors vs Soldering & Heat Shrink Tubi

FWIW I buy my bare butt-connectors from NAPA. Just there standard stock item (expensive by the small box out front, but you can buy form the bulk bin behind the counter in whatever quantity. They have a small dimple on the middle let you know if you stripped the wire back too far, and I've never had one crack like some cheaper ones.

For shrink tubing Fastenal has the best stuff I've used. I like the 3-1 shrink ratio, heavy wall (where appropriate) with adhesive. Napa stuff is decent. Stay away from Harbor Freight heat shrink for anything other than color coding.

I bought my ratcheting crimp tool off the Snap-On truck, but it's their Blue-Point brand. It works well, and has interchangeable dies. I haven't really tried many others, at least nothing memorable.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:56 AM   #22
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Here's the Tool Aid kit originally purchased: http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-18920...tool+aid+18990

Its pretty amazing in quality and utility for its price. Keep in mind the better brand of crimp tools specific that are specialized to a particular type and size terminal can approach $200 each.

Here's another that might be a screaming bargain: http://www.amazon.com/18980-Master-R...555265&sr=1-10

Those kits include different dies for terminals of various configurations; inside the case is a legend detailing their selection. Tool Aid also sells a general purpose tool intended only for "standard" insulated terminals ranging from 20-10 gauge. http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-18900...5555500&sr=1-1

A few more facts about crimping terminals:

-Matching the terminal to the proper die is essential. (While the Tool Aid stuff covers a wide range of terminals there really isn't a universal one-tool-does-it-all tool---terminals are so varied different tools or capabilities are necessary.)

-The Tool Aid and any other crimping tool have small learning curves to them, sometimes not covered very well in accompanying literature. In fact the Tool Aid stuff comes with no instructions. (Multi-die kits have charts for die selection---nothing else. Trial & error quickly gets the learning curve under control.)

-Just like crimping tools terminals too are varied depending on their use. If repairing or creating wiring connections frequently its best to become familiar with the different types---it seems more complex and complicated than it really is.

I don't know anything about Harbor Freight "tools" because I don't buy from them. They may have a few great tools for cheap but cost tends to be a low priority for me regarding tools. Tool Aid is what I use and suggest----do whatever your own budget or anticipated use dictate.

Because I'm anal and do a lot of different projects I've found buying one particular type of terminal by the 100's is very cost effective. eBay is my go-to source for a number of reasons, quite handy for bulk purchases. CarringB is right about NAPA's selections---usually covers enough range for most projects but indeed pricey in the retail packaging.

FWIW I've bought well and bought a lot, all at great prices but with my inventory of connectors, terminals, shrink tube I probably have just at $2K--and growing as needed. That's not encouragement for others to dive in that deep mind you.

If I can answer any specific questions feel free to post here or PM me---always glad to help.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:42 AM   #23

We shall now call JWA "The Crimpmaster."
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:43 AM   #24
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
We shall now call JWA "The Crimpmaster."
Well we don't want to over sell him though!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote