Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2015, 10:42 PM   #11

Re: Basics: RV/RE "House" Batteries

I think a good take-away combines some of what you are quoting, with what daveb is saying.

One can study for one's self, and look at the info vs. "common knowledge." The "50% rule" is one example. As they point out, you may still get the same lifetime hours from a battery that you draw down more (although not as long a lifetime). Does that suit you? Each person has to think about their usage. Years ago, when I was traveling in other countries and there was no Internet, long life was paramount. I wasn't going to be finding the replacement batteries I wanted anywhere nearby. Now? I could see someone in my position (traveling in US) deciding to lug around fewer batteries, discharge them to 80%, and buy batteries more often. Plus, if you are getting that smaller bank back to 100% more easily, that offsets things somewhat. (not speaking of lithium as I have no experience there). That's not my way, but it can be good to really think about it (if one cares to).

That leads into more of what daveb is saying. Different people, different rigs, different circumstances, and different approaches to designing and maintaining the system. There are good practices and bad ones, but probably no "one best way."

Viva is offline   Reply With Quote