Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #11

Re: Battery Charging Questions

I'm intrigued with such a variety of battery charging systems. It's almost like every few years the technology or consumer info has driven a change to SMB electrical system configurations. Of course, the selection of equipment is also driving changes in electrical system configuations too.

For example, SMB West 2WD, no solar, no inverter - have shore power, two AGM 27 Deka 12V batteries, Progressive Dynamics PD 9160A converter/charger (60 amp 1,000 watts) with their Total Charge Management System (Charge Wizard 9105), and Blue Sea Systems Automatic Charging Relay ML-7620B (aka, separator) with a Del City remote push-button starter switch. With this set-up and a thorough read of the component manuals, it's time to recharge at 12.4V to avoid reduced battery life. It is a "smart" charging system with lots of features including boost (fast), normal (trickle), and storage (defsulfication) charging modes - all auto managed based on timed cycle and voltage level, not to exceed 14.4V. Nonetheless, Deka recommends not staying hooked up to a charger for more than 48 hours. Covering our butts... no, batteries. Then there's your alternator - my Ford OEM 155 amp alternator will stop charging (according to Ford) at 14.3V. This provides some protection against over-charging - per Deka not to exceed 14.6 at 68 degrees F. As for what MotorCraft's wet cell starter battery charging limits are, I haven't found much written on them specifically, but wet cells in general don't appear to be as robust or responsive as dry cells to recharging life cycle maintenance.

One other thing seems clear to me. If you don't know how old your battery is and how well it is holding a charge, you may be in for a heated, possibly smelly (hopefully, not fire or explosion), and definetly disfunctional surprise. Hint #1, battery is not taking a recharge very well... Hint #2, battery is dead. I would have to say, don't recharge in those situations.

joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #12

Garage

New question to this older thread! I searched other threads but can't find the answer to my question.

I charged my battery all weekend on shore power and once the ProSine read 'ready' I unplugged. It read 13.2v immediately but after about 15 to 20 minutes it slowly went down to 12.5v and stayed. Its been on 12.5v all day. Is this normal or should my battery stay at 13.2v until I at least begin putting some load on it?

The 4D AGM Lifeline batteries are 4 years old. I'm the second owner.

I'm afraid I may be in the market for new batteries! Or am I worried for nothing?

Mike
Old 04-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #13

Rest easy - your battery is probably fine. 12.5V is a full charge. Anything over that is what I believe they call 'surface charge' and disappears as soon as a load is placed on it.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

If you're discussing AGM Batteries, I don't believe 12.5v begins to describe a full charge. 100% charge of an AGM Battery is 12.8-12.9v. 12.5v is about equivalent to 60-65%. 75% is 12.6v and 50% = 12.3v, a condition that you'd rather not let your batteries get below regularly, if you're interested in their longevity. If someone has information that contradicts this info, I'm ready to stand corrected, however I'd hate to see someone not getting the full potential from their battery bank.
Bill
Old 04-24-2011, 10:27 PM   #15
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ

I second Bill's explination. That has always been my understanding of the AMG Batteries. 12.8 = Full, anything over that is just foam.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:32 PM   #16

I agree with Skywagon. My AGM had pretty much the same voltage at four years. It was working fine, but getting lower (12.1 - 11.8) then I wanted in the morning after running my fridge and a few lights at night. I was getting uncomfortable with it as I do most of my camping in very remote areas so I bit the bullet and just changed it out with a new Lifeline at 4 years.
I'm sure you can get another year out of yours, as 5-6 is what you "should" get. My reasoning was that I hate libations sans ice and I've had to use my house battery a few times to assist my starting batteries. Better safe than sorry kind of thing on my end.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:12 PM   #17

Garage

Thanks for the info. Maybe a new battery is in my future. I'll see how this one does for awhile but will be ready to replace if necessary.
Where is the best place to purchase a new 4D AGM Lifeline battery? I understand they are about $400?

Mike
Old 04-24-2011, 11:58 PM   #18

I went Deka:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6800&hilit=deka
Old 04-25-2011, 08:12 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

The Interstate Battery guy in Salinas CA quoted me a laid in price of $389.95 which is about the cheapest price I've seen for a 4D Lifeline AGM battery. SOME people I know have paid considerably more...
Bill
Old 04-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #20

Ahem.... Yes, some of us did pay more. I found a deal on the Internet (lots of searching) and made the purchase. But, got a call from the company and found out that not only did the price go up $35, but that since Lifeline is produced in California they had to charge me sales tax. Then another call from them came up with the info that FedEx now charges an extra $90 to deliver a freight item to a residential address. Twas supposed to be free shipping. This ended up being $5 more then going to my local Battery+ store. So, to make a long story even longer I got mine at Battery+ for the trifling amount of $581.70
Such a deal huh? My suggestion is to go to Skywagon's place and have him get a battery for you. He found a smoking deal!!!

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote