Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #1

Battery Inside safe

Hey all,

Is it safe to run a sealed gel type battery (house battery) inside with out ventalation???

I have a non gel type unsealed running unbder the rear couch and its vented but I was planning on replacing it ti with either 1 or 2 1500 Odyssey's or Die Hard Platinums.

What say you???

wesel123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:30 PM   #2

Well, can't speak to the venting issue, but I'd strongly recommend you stay away from Die Hard unless they have recently changed mfrs. Die Hards have historically been a very poor battery, in my expereince. I believe GNB might have been making them before, but I could be wrong. My experience, your's may be different, is that GNB and Die Hard do not last. Had the misery of living in North Dakota for a time. Sadly, you get to know your batteries living in a frozen wasteland place like that. Again, that's my experience, your's and others' may be different.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:34 PM   #3

The new Diehard Platinum series is a possible re-badged Odyssey.

Ready my post below...
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=14285
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #4

Well, there you go. Learned something today. Thanks. Also, checked out Expedition Portal. Humm, Socalfj (if that is your real name), I gave you credit for the referral. Not as cool as this site, but pretty cool (plus a bike area).
Old 08-05-2008, 10:07 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage
Very difficult to get an answer to that and is something we have looked into at work. Being no one has (in the industry) yet to give us a go...??? I would like to know for sure before going that route. I would be more concerned with physical damage and would want it in some kind of "safe box". I carry a couple of optima batteries inside that I use to power electronic equipment (the batteries are used outside) but don't charge them inside as a rule and would never charge while sleeping. I know some people who have installed them in equipment trailers with no problems at all, but sleeping quarters? Just don't know so personally I would not. I'm sure that there are folks that will tell you they have done it for years. Gel batteries vs hydrogen might not be the problem with mounting them inside. I have been told that AGM (Glass mat) batteries handle a heavier amp charge than gel batteries. You might want to look into this also. I had gel batteries in my bass boat and they did not last near as long as the AGM's have. That was years ago, so you should talk with someone that is more up to date on which is better. Maybe pose the question to Trailer Life or Family Motor Coaching, someone like that.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm? ... 305&page=1

If you find more info please post back.
DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:54 AM   #6

Off hand I would say you need to vent the battery. The Gel Cell batteries have a non-flowing acid, so it won't spill when the battery is knocked over. And they are 'sealed' so you don't add water. But, they do vent to the atmosphere when the pressure rises inside the battery.

On the other hand, my first pickup camper had a battery inside - with a vented box for the battery. I replaced it with a smaller gell cell (wheelchair) battery without the box. Never smelled it or gave it much of a thought.

Sounds like a parent - do as I say, not as I do.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureduo
The new Diehard Platinum series is a possible re-badged Odyssey.

Ready my post below...
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=14285
Yep thats ere I got it from.

I was really wondering if gel "sealed batteries" really give off gases. I wonder if the manufature would tell me
wesel123 is offline   Reply With Quote