Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #11

Good choice to go with the sealed battery (AGM?). The "regular" battery in a car normally gets kept pretty fully charged, whereas your house battery gets discharged down to as much as 50 percent regularly and then charged up again. So you really have to check the electrolyte pretty frequently. Also, if your SMB goes off-road or on rough roads, with a standard battery there's more chance of leakage. And sealed batteries don't gas off during charge like the regular ones. Unless of course you would prefer a high-maintenance battery to go with that girlfriend...

1972 Mercedes 350SL with 4.5l V-8, just because
Wag more, Bark less, Play well with others.
Psomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:53 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoetting
Got the new battery yesterday, $570 installed. A non-sealed battery would be half that. I wonder if it wouldn't be better to get the cheaper battery and plan to change it every few yrs. I remember back when car batteries had open cells. You usually never needed to add water or acid until the battery got old.

Going camping this weekend with my high-maintenance girlfriend. We'll see how this goes.
W/O solar you might want to consider a battery switch.
http://bluesea.com/category/1/productline/2
I plan to add a switch to my system. At least the battery can be isolated when not in use and I won’t cycle the batteries as much. If the refrigerator is running while the van is parked at home I always plug into AC. The battery will last longer if it’s topped off while sitting and I keep the cycle rate as low as possible. Because an alternator won’t bring the battery up to its top percent, it has to be charged with a good charging system and this is where the solar comes in. A high quality maintenance charger will work if you don’t have solar. Whatever you do, don’t let the house battery fall below the lower 12 V range. I’ve lost a couple AGM’s to this and avoid the 11V range now. It might not kill it totally but the battery won’t charge up to its full potential.
DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoetting
Going camping this weekend with my high-maintenance girlfriend. We'll see how this goes.
I'd make her absolutely skip the hairdryer unless you're on shore power. Even running the van that's a lot of watts for a long time.

Good luck!
Old 11-30-2008, 01:51 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to bgoetting
New battery fixed the problem. GF loves the SMB!
Old 11-30-2008, 06:26 PM   #15

How about telling GF that the battery is special, top of the line, and you got it just so that she would be comfortable? Course then she may expect a bigger Christmas present...
1972 Mercedes 350SL with 4.5l V-8, just because
Wag more, Bark less, Play well with others.
Psomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psomaki
How about telling GF that the battery is special, top of the line, and you got it just so that she would be comfortable? Course then she may expect a bigger Christmas present...
Would it be bad form to tell her that the battery is her present, so that she'll be more comfortable in the SMB? Come on, I dare you.

Herb