Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2018, 03:40 PM   #1

Battery separator 10 amp fuse

I cold use some help. I habe a Ford econoline sportsmobile 2014 with the RB50 layout. My house battery is not charging from the Van. I think it may be the 10amp battery separator fuse but I cannot find it. I think the battery separator is the Blue sea ml-acr. I think I am looking for a red fuse case. I spoke to SM. They had me look under the rear seat. I also checked the fuse panel. I looked under the steering wheel and in the area above the driver seat where the button to start the vehicle from the house battery is. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ahpookcourtney@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahpookcourtney@gmail.com View Post
I cold use some help. I habe a Ford econoline sportsmobile 2014 with the RB50 layout. My house battery is not charging from the Van. I think it may be the 10amp battery separator fuse but I cannot find it. I think the battery separator is the Blue sea ml-acr. I think I am looking for a red fuse case. I spoke to SM. They had me look under the rear seat. I also checked the fuse panel. I looked under the steering wheel and in the area above the driver seat where the button to start the vehicle from the house battery is. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Hi Ahpookcourtney,

Great to see you post your concern here, after trying the FB page. Just to be complete:
- Is your house battery dead?
- Have you tried charging your house battery via shore power?

It's unclear whether your van fails to charge a partially charged house battery as it should. This would distinguish it from a similar issue I had during the first week of my van ownership: I let the house battery drain completely, and was surprised that driving the van didn't recharge it. I now know that my Blue-Sea separator intentionally separates my (dead) house battery from the van battery to prevent inadvertent draining of my van battery.

Thanks and good luck!
Old 09-06-2018, 10:37 PM   #3

The separator may be located under the de-gas bottle under the hood on the drivers side.
As Achop said, try plugging in for a night to see if that fixes the problem.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:04 AM   #4

I just saw her FB reply to my question similar to my prev post ... Because Cathy's on the road, perhaps I can help her get some traction here by posting her reply to me on her orig Facebook posting of this concern. Apologies if my butting in this way is inappropriate:

"My house battery is fully charged now. It was never dead just down to 10 volts so I could not start the generator and I had endless rainy weather so the solar never got it above 11.1 which was not enough st start the generator. I want to an RV park and got it fully charged. Now I turn on the generator as soon as it gets near 12 volts. Now I'm not sure how to tell if it is charging from the Van without letting it drain down. I'm on the road in Alaska and Canada. I may just wait till I get home now that I know not to let it get too low. I will also post it on the forum."

I'll note that Cathy was/is intent on finding a fuse for the power line for the separator. One photo on her FB post shows her Blue Sea ML-ACR, which she was wondering/presuming was the separator.

My own asides:
- Wouldn't a battery management device like an ML-ACR need fuses on both sides of it?
- A button to start the engine from house battery seems kind of cool (in some rare emergency), though the portable jump starters are easy enough to use.
- Starting a generator to charge the house while driving sounds painful, but I'm not familiar with the sort of setup she describes. Generator, solar, AND van battery redundancy.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:13 AM   #5

It would be nice if you could forward the picture of the "Separator" . I say this only because I don't remeber a Blue Sea ACR needing a 10 amp fuse. I thought SMB switched over to the Blue Sea Unit before 2014. A 2008 manual speaks of a 10 amp fuse going to the start assist tab on the old SurePower 1315-200. It is shown close to the separtaor itself. That information does also coincide with the jumpstart button she referred to in OP. You could still use that on the BlueSea 7620/2722, so that doesn't give me a conclusive answer.

It sounds like she may have an Sure power unit, which also would be an expected failure of that unit.

The SurePower or Blue Sea Units are usally installed inside the van and would be under the rear couch on the RB50. Once we identify we can go from there.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote