Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2016, 03:14 PM   #1

Battery switch switch explanation needed

I did read the sticky about switches but am still a little confused. Anyhow just getting around to fully understanding my electrical system.

Can anyone explain this switch to me and why I would ever turn it off? I've always kept it ON and had no issues. One cable goes to the Inverter/charger and the other underneath the van to the house batteries. One thing to note is that there is no power going to the inverter/charger when this switch is in the OFF position unless the van is running. Also looks like I have an Isolator not connected to anything other than the large power cable in the rear of the van and another isolator that is under the hood with all 3 ports connected up.. Why would that be?
Attached Thumbnails
Rear Switch.jpg  

Old 08-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #2

Rear of switch
Attached Thumbnails
Beind rear switch .jpg  
Old 08-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #3

Old Isolator in rear of van
Attached Thumbnails
old isolator .jpg  
Old 08-28-2016, 03:17 PM   #4

Isolator under the hood
Attached Thumbnails
Isolator under the hood.jpg  
Old 08-28-2016, 04:12 PM   #5

The switch is a Guest 2112A, which is a straight on/off switch. Did you say that it goes from inverter to the front battery. Actually it sounds like this is in parallel to your isolator. Engine running power through isolator as you expect. Engine off, with switch on, you have power from front, but then where is your house battery? So my best guess would be a back up switch for the isolator or a jump start switch. I would suspect that things then should work correct with it off. Leaving it on would mean that you are using both house and starting battery when it is on. You could use that as a plain battery disconnect switch, so it is important to clarify where it actually goes.

I don't know what to say about rear isolator, if it is a isolator, there should not be a power cord.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
The switch is a Guest 2112A, which is a straight on/off switch. Did you say that it goes from inverter to the front battery. Actually it sounds like this is in parallel to your isolator. Engine running power through isolator as you expect. Engine off, with switch on, you have power from front, but then where is your house battery? So my best guess would be a back up switch for the isolator or a jump start switch. I would suspect that things then should work correct with it off. Leaving it on would mean that you are using both house and starting battery when it is on. You could use that as a plain battery disconnect switch, so it is important to clarify where it actually goes.

I don't know what to say about rear isolator, if it is a isolator, there should not be a power cord.

-greg

On the switch one cord goes to the House batteries underneath the back of the van. The other chord goes to the Inverter Charger. When the switch is in the off position and the van is off my inverter/charger display does not have any power.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:31 PM   #7

The rear thing that looks like an isolator is probably the amp for the previous owners subwoofer is my guess.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHenrietta View Post
One wire goes to the Inverter/charger and the other underneath the car to the front.
Quote:
On the switch one cord goes to the House batteries underneath the back of the van. The other chord goes to the Inverter Charger.
Sounds like a power disconnect for your inverter.....is your inverter powered by your starting battery or house batteries?

Quote:
The rear thing that looks like an isolator is probably the amp for the previous owners subwoofer is my guess.
It's not a subwoofer amp........
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Sounds like a power disconnect for your inverter.....is your inverter powered by your starting battery or house batteries?

It's not a subwoofer amp........
I've always been under the assumption that the Inverter/Charger is powered by my house batteries.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:53 AM   #10

Sorry, I confused myself on where the other wire was going, I see you did say going to the house batteries. So I would have to think it is a basic battery disconnect a switch. So when off, your isolator still provides power to the inverter and other house distribution while the engine is running. Do you loose all house power when off and not running or just the inverter? If just the inverter then I would lean to a inverter disconnect switch like boywonder said, although I am not sure that I would wire it that way. When you use the term "cord" I think of power cord as in AC power cord, if you mean just a large DC cable, then that is totally different. Having a second isolator ( it does look like a isolator) in the rear would not be a standard thing, but if you had multiple house batteries and wanted to isolate their outputs you could use a second one. You could come up with specific reasons to do so.
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote