Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2017, 09:33 PM   #1

Battery Terminal Connection -This look OK?

Plan was to use some military grade connections and redo all the factory cables with new crimped ends and make everything nice and tidy. Well Ford crimps 2 wires together for the terminal connectors and there is yet another one screwed down on the Positive terminal. With a trip planned at the end of the month I just need some juice to run my fridge and charge some ipads etc.

The cable is a 1/0, which is overkill, and runs to the ACR in my electrical. The amount of contact is decent and I won't try and start the rig from this connection. The stud is not as big as I want, but I am hoping this will work until I can figure another connection. Thoughts?

Old 06-12-2017, 10:50 PM   #2

I've been running my ARB cooler with the stock cord and a 12V lighter plug socket for years now. What you've got there is fine.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:05 PM   #3

Any good battery shop or car audio shop could provide you with a far more robust terminal connector for a few bucks if you're looking for something beefier. Personally, I'd start with a car audio shop.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:10 AM   #4

That looks good to me for the loads you mentioned. I agree with GCVT if you add more to it you might want a better battery lug but I've added some serious power draws to the stock one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:11 AM   #5

Thanks all and I appreciate it. Should mention that this will also charge the house battery as well, but again, right now the whole system is only gonna handle the fridge and some other small stuff. I just need a fast solution as I am running out of time for a trip I want to do.

I bought a set of these, but after seeing Ford's stock setup with all the cables etc, changing out to the beefier lugs is not trivial.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #6

Garage
I used the military style lugs on my under-hood battery as well and they are great!

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
20161201_163850.jpg  
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #7

That's what I am going for Scott! Ford has the terminal connectors crimped right to the cables and then I see the cables split right below the connection. Eventually I gotta do it. My van is very needy right now.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:20 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
That's what I am going for Scott! Ford has the terminal connectors crimped right to the cables and then I see the cables split right below the connection. Eventually I gotta do it. My van is very needy right now.
I will try to take and post some more detailed photos....but I removed the bolt from the original terminal and used snips to cut the loop off just after the bolt hole. I believe the hole needs to be enlarged slightly as well. This allows the use of the factory crimp (was still good on mine) and allows for a near perfect connection to the new terminals. I'd say it was a 10 minute job and one I would promote heavily as the originals are junk.

I would also promote the use of this relay box available on eBay....very high quality Bussman components and the dude assembling them knows his stuff. I have one in my personal van (pics below) and it's awesome for keeping the battery terminals clean and adding fused constant circuits (qty 5) and fused switched relay circuits (qty 5). I mounted it to the top of the fuse box with some 6mm studs. This location is a little clumsy, but still allows access to the fuses below and a secure mount. I also like that all the fuses are in the same general location under the hood.

Universal Waterproof Fuse Box Relay Panel distribution Cooper Bussmann Off Road | eBay

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
20161201_163932.jpg   20161128_162347.jpg   20161128_162048.jpg   20161128_162100.jpg  
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #9

Thanks Scott!

Those are great ideas. I am wary of creating a big mess I can't get out of. I thought about cutting the gripper portion of the stock terminal off and modifying it to be like a ring terminal I could put on the HD connector. I think that's what you are getting at a bit. You can see in my pic that there is a stud right there and I could maybe open up that hole for the HD connector.