Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #11

Re: Battery type question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasport12

Here is a tray like the two I used...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-OEM-VAN-BO ... 78&vxp=mtr

Is this the one that bolts to the frame rail on the passenger side of the van somewhere under the barn doors? I can't really tell from the pictures

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
Quote:

Is this the one that bolts to the frame rail on the passenger side of the van somewhere under the barn doors? I can't really tell from the pictures
I'm sorry, you can't possibly be intending to install parts from a Ford diesel van, are you? That would probably reduce your torque, reduce your MPG, require a complete rebuild every 5000 miles, cause your van to break down immediately, fall over sideways, burst into flames and cost far more money than a battery tray from a gasoline powered Ford.

Herb
Old 06-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #13

"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #14

Some great info in here. A good reminder of why I like to frequent this forum

I 2nd Ultrasport's Diehard recommendation. The serious offroaders that put two batteries under the hood for winching (besides starting) favor Odyssey. Do a search in one of the Toyota Landcuiser forums like Ih8mud.
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc1500t.htm

The Sear Diehard Platinum is also the same battery and both are made by Enersys.
http://www.yotatech.com/f131/sears-dieh ... ey-135337/
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler

I'm sorry, you can't possibly be intending to install parts from a Ford diesel van, are you? That would probably reduce your torque, reduce your MPG, require a complete rebuild every 5000 miles, cause your van to break down immediately, fall over sideways, burst into flames and cost far more money that a battery tray from a gasoline powered Ford.

Herb
Herb

Good one!

Old 06-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Quote:

I'm sorry, you can't possibly be intending to install parts from a Ford diesel van, are you? That would probably reduce your torque, reduce your MPG, require a complete rebuild every 5000 miles, cause your van to break down immediately, fall over sideways, burst into flames and cost far more money that a battery tray from a gasoline powered Ford.
Herb
Good one Herb, although those battery trays are also on the factory gasoline powered vans as an auxiliary battery box. I guess it depends on whether it came off a Diesel or Gas van if it could help or hurt his performance and possibly cause a fire. So he should be safe using them fi he gets the right one.

Gnarvan Yes that is the one that bolts to preexisting holes in the frame under the side door.
They are limited to on size though.The only battery that really fits without modifying the box is a group 65 batttery as the boxes are short, But as JoeH said you can get the Die Hard Gold AGM battery for them.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... ewAll=true
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #17
Site Team

Alright, I'm glad you guys took that the way it was intended.

Peace out!

Herb
Old 06-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #18

I did a little digging on the net yesterday and found out that Johnson Controls one of the big battery manufactures in the US makes all three of the brands I had on my shopping list. Interstate, Sears and Kirkland (Costco). They may make the internal components to meet different brand specs but the quality control coming out of their factory should be the same. I wish there was a way to find out the specs of the internal components for the different brands. Plate thickness for the deep cycle batteries would be a nice thing to know and would help with my battery purchase decision.

I was on my lunch break in Albany Oregon yesterday and stopped at the Costco. They have a group 65 with good specs for a starting battery. They also have a group 27 combo starting/deep cycle battery with good specs that would work for the aux/winch battery.

Just an FYI.....I put a little over 400 miles on my diesel work truck yesterday. 963k miles on the clock and still going strong. Have I mentioned in the past the truck runs a Cummins.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #19

Quote:
I did a little digging on the net yesterday and found out that Johnson Controls one of the big battery manufactures in the US makes all three of the brands I had on my shopping list. Interstate, Sears and Kirkland (Costco). They may make the internal components to meet different brand specs but the quality control coming out of their factory should be the same. I wish there was a way to find out the specs of the internal components for the different brands. Plate thickness for the deep cycle batteries would be a nice thing to know and would help with my battery purchase decision.

I was on my lunch break in Albany Oregon yesterday and stopped at the Costco. They have a group 65 with good specs for a starting battery. They also have a group 27 combo starting/deep cycle battery with good specs that would work for the aux/winch battery.
FWIW, I've run a couple of the Costco batteries. The group 27 "marine" combo seems pretty OK, and I have one in my van right now. It replaced[1] another 27 "NIC-L LYTE" branded that seems similar. This is the first time I've used those batteries in a vehicle and they seem OK, but suffer from two problems:

1) They are serviceable and when bouncing around dirt roads off-kilter, will leak a bit.

2) They don't quite have the cranking power of a dedicated starting battery and when run down
more than a bit, they will fail to start.

I can live with (2) since run down seems to be further than I ever run them down camping, but I'm also still chasing the parasitic load that kills them when sitting for two weeks. On the other hand (1) is going to to convince me to replace them with something sealed, possibly a blue top optima, though I'm unsure I love the reviews they've been getting lately.

I also have another Costo battery in a z3 (odd size and vent configuration, Costco was one of the few that fit and by _far_ the cheapest choice). It's about three years old, still holding a charge just fine, but it did need some cleanup recently despite being sealed. Not thrilled with the seeping, but it's in a box, and really, given the service and cost I doubt I'll do anything different.

[1] I swapped in the Costco one which I had been using with solar for camping before we got the van. It's from '07, and while it's working, it's pushing my comfort level for old. The "NIC-L LYTE" was draining over two weeks of sitting, but I think it's a load I haven't chased down yet. OTOH it's from 08, so also old, and I've had to add water to it a number of times that I know is from spillage and just from evaporation.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #20

Leaking batteries are a deal breaker for me. Just say no to loose acid!

I did a little shopping today and found an Aux battery I really like. It was at the Swan Island West Marine store.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... yErrorView

It's a dual purpose AGM rated at 810 MCA and 92HA in a group 27 that measures a true 6 1/2" width which is the perfect max size. They are on sale now and would save me $30 over the list price.

They are made by East Penn

http://www.dekabatteries.com/default.aspx?pageid=4

I also stopped and talked to the Les Schwab folks. They have a heavy duty group 65 that puts out 850 CCA and is made by Johnson Controls. The guy seemed to think it was the same battery as the Interstate Mega-Tron since they were made at the same factory. If it is the same battery this one could become my starting battery. I've always been very happy with Les Schwab service. They have stores all over the Left coast so if I have a problem I'm pretty much covered out here