Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2017, 10:21 PM   #1

Best 12v movie solution?

Ok, I need a movietainment solution for the van. Ceiling mount monitor with a 12v power source (don't want to always run inverter while driving).

As for source I'd really love to play movies from a hard drive or thumb drive, but I don't want to build a whole carputer from scratch. DVD player would be ok if there is no easy way to play .mov and mp4 etc.

I honestly have no clue what's out there these days so if anyone could lay some easy solutions down I'd appreciate it. I'm fine with an Android tablet solution but won't have active internet on trips. I'd be fine with a Unix system it raspberry pi if there isn't too much building/installing software involved. Any other ideas welcome.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:32 PM   #2

Flip down LCD with HDMI input or AirPlay compatibility (seems like they come together usually). Then you can just stream for your phone or play saved movies. Or plug in a USB stick.

This is what I went with: Accele AXFD17HDWF 17 Inch Over Head Flip Down LCD Monitor with Built-In Wifi and HDMI
Old 04-19-2017, 11:02 PM   #3

If you are using a thumb drive or an SD card, I've found the Micca Speck to be super handy. You'll just need a screen with an HDMI port.

amazon.com/Micca-Full-HD-Portable-Digital-Player/dp/B008NO9RRM
jpau00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Flip down LCD with HDMI input or AirPlay compatibility (seems like they come together usually). Then you can just stream for your phone or play saved movies. Or plug in a USB stick.

This is what I went with: Accele AXFD17HDWF 17 Inch Over Head Flip Down LCD Monitor with Built-In Wifi and HDMI
This unit is pretty cool. Something I'll be looking into with a little one on the way!
Old 04-20-2017, 05:27 AM   #5

Best 12v movie solution?

I wired an RCA cable from my dash headunit's rear video-out jack, with the idea that I could play DVDs or digital files through that on an external monitor and use my van's stereo for sound. Tested it and works well, but I never ended up installing a permanent monitor. This was more for watching movies while camped, though. You may go crazy watching he Wiggles this way while traveling :-)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:19 AM   #6
tlg

Garage
Jage, we use one of the larger iPads during transit. Installed a Ram Mount and Geartrac on the shelf over the counter (RB-50). Then connect the sound to the head unit via bluetooth. You could install a Geartrac almost anywhere.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:44 AM   #7

tlg
We like that set up. Good Call!
The Geartrac/Ram Mount are on the punch list for the counter shelves. We mainly listen versus watch. But, there are plenty of lectures and 'talks' that we want to take in, and we run topos and maps over the iPad. This looks like a clean way to roll.
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:54 AM   #8

I'm with TLG on this one for sure. Technology is just changing too fast to mount anything permanent IMO. Jage, I think you'll find that in a few very short years your girls will be really happy to have a tablet in their hands they can control their own media with and it doesn't have to be tethered. The Android options are super cheap and take microSD cards so the sky is the limit on storage. I don't think I'll ever hard mount a TV/entertainment system again in a van because it ties you to the van. Ours can take their tablets/phones outside and sit in a chair when camped, though I usually want to throw them as far out in the woods as possible.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:47 AM   #9

An easy solution we use is a wi-fi enabled drive or filehub (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Wire...dp/B00AQUMZRA/) and iPads/iPhones with headphones. That way they can all watch what they want separately, and can pick from the entire movie library.
Teutonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:01 AM   #10

Teutonics: WiFi makes mobility and multi use more powerful for sure.
86Scotty: we use our Ipad as a topo and guide map for some of the climbing spots we hit. We have areas pictures, route starts and descriptions, gear lists and descent info saved. It fits in a haul bag soft pocket and is pretty handy. So, just like your saying, this is a multi use, mobile device to view, tote and listen to...
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote