Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #1

Bigger alternator installed

I've had two alternators replaced under warranty. And the replacements are always 'Remanufactured' units, not new. So, I decided to buy a new, larger capacity alternator. This unit is supposed to have higher output at lower rpm's and higher output during normal driving.

Here is the alternator I bought (140A HD unit):

http://www.alternatorparts.com/6g-serie ... nator.html

Let me tell you, I feel sorry for the guys who work on these things for a living. What a PITA!

To get to the alternator, you must disconnect the batteries, then you have to move the MAP sensor, Power Steering reservoir, main harness bundle only to discover a couple of other things that complicate moving the harness. First is something SMB added - I don't know what it is - and the other looks to be a vaccuum distribution piece for the 4wd. Then you can see the brace for the intercooler to turbo hose, take it out. Now you can remove the intercooler to turbo hose - if you can get it loose. The clamp on the back of the hose is buried behind the alternator and I could get a socket on it and turn it about 1/6 of a turn - and it takes about 20 turns to get it loose enough! Take the front clamp off and remove the hose completely.

Now for the alternator. Move the transmission dipstick tube and 4 bolts and jump when the belt tensioner pulls the alternator -wham.... Ok, so far so good.

Ideally, you can rotate the tensioner (as the books says to do) and lock it in position and the belt is no problem. First step to rotate the tensioner calls for removing the radiator. So, I look for alternates.

I finally decided I could hook the alternater under the belt and use a long prybar to get it up into position. That actually worked!! Reassemble all the above, button it up.

All went well until I started it up. No charge! %#@* and more. The belt came off. Probably when the alternator jumped, the belt came mostly off one or more pulleys. Take it all apart and repeat the above. This time carefully examine the belt and ensure it is properly on all the pulleys, most of which can only be seen from below. Reassemble and fire it up. All is fine now.

Anybody want a Ford Remanufactured Alternator with only 100 miles on it? It's a lot cheaper than buying it from Ford.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #2

Re: Bigger alternator installed

So Mike, if you have any takers for the alternator are you volunteering to install it for them as well?
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #3

Hey, my labor rates are lower than Ford's!

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

I had my buddy who owns a shop do it. He says he won't work on anybody else's SMB!!! It cost me a lot of beer on top of the very reasonable fee he charged me. Ford nailed me about 450 bucks in labor fees when I had it done the first time. A bad battery swayed me to have my buddy swap out the new 200A (the second time) with a duplicate, but we found nothing wrong with the alternator…arrrg, it was the lousy battery that Ford miss diagnosed. I owe him big time. But he did find out that Ford did some really poor work on top of their FU. All sorts of bolts missing, harnesses loose and stuff that might have led to big problems down the road. I'm sure my buddy feels for ya Mike. Hell of a job to tackle. When I pull up to his shop, he shakes his head but I pay up in the end just to make it fair.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #5

Just a note for those installing a new alternator: Check the torque on the pulley nut before throwing it in.

We installed a new alternator that came with its own pulley a few months back. I failed to double-check the pulley nut was torqued to spec as it came as a unit. At about 800 miles the pulley nut fell off, the pulley wallowed around for a while, and eventually cut the serpentine belt.

This left us with no cooling (water pump), assist on steering or brakes, or charge going to batteries, and a ways to go to get home. Needless to say it was not a fun night.

Also double-check your spares, we did have a spare belt, however it appears the shop sold me the wrong one as it was significantly too short (perhaps its the 2nd belt if you have a double alternator setup).

-e