Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #1

Blue Sea 7620 HD Charging Relay

While I was down checking out batteries I took a look at relays available at West Marine. They had the little brother of the 7620, the 7610 on the shelf. One thing I noticed was the automatic voltage sensing feature that moniters both battery voltages. If one of the batteries drops below 9.6 volts the relay will not connect the two. I can see where that will be a problem. Let's say I'm winching and my aux battery drops below 9.6, how can I charge the aux battery back up from the alternator if I can't get the relay to connect? I could do some kind of switched circuit work around I guess.

Is anyone familiar with this feature of the 7620? Was I reading the spec sheet on the 7610 correctly and does the 7620 have the same feature?

http://bluesea.com/products/7620

Calling Greg.....Calling Greg

I just noticed the 7622 had a manual override. If I'm reading the specs right that just allows you to manually disconnect the batteries. Will it also let you manually override the battery voltage reading and automatic seperation feature?

http://bluesea.com/products/7622

I did go back and re-read the sticky on Isolators and seperators. I would just like to confirm that I have the basic theory of the 7620 and 7622 correctly.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Blue Sea 7620 HD Charging Relay

I'm not sure what you are planning to do. The 7622 will trip open below 12.8 unless you lock it closed manually. But as long as you have a high amp alternator heavy enough and a good starting battery it shouldn't open cause it sees the charge voltage and the starting system should be able to keep up with it. Now if both batteries are pulled down to say 10 volts you need to stop winching and let the batteries float back up (and let the winch cool down) while the alternator charges. If you let the batteries drop to 9 volts for a lengthy period of time you're gonna be doing damage to your batteries anyway and would want to avoid that if possible. A 12,000lb winch can pull slightly less than 500 amps @ 12 volts during a heavy pull load and that is pushing the limit of the separator itself. That same winch running at 9 volts is going to pull more than 500a. Also remember that the wire going from the alternator to the seperator is not rated to handle huge loads of a winch. You even need to take care when starting your vehicle from the house batteries if the starting system is dead. Maybe I missed something...are you designing your electrical system or using the stock SMB setup?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #3

I'm designing my own system.

The way I read the specs on the 7610 if either battery drops below a set point the seperator opens the circuit. I'm thinking the winch battery during winch operations may drop below that set point. Once the circuit is open there is no way to charge up the winch battery to get it above the set point. The winch battery will remain below the set point and the seperator will keep the circuit open till I get home and put a charger on the battery. I'm not sure about the 7620's automatic circuit open feature. I'm not planning on using a 7610 but that model was the only one available for me to open and read the documents that come with the unit.

The literature on the 7622 says the manual override is there to manually open the circuit if you need to work on the batteries and need to open the circuit. That's why I'm thinking the manual override is just a manual open feature and not a manual close feature.

Would a 6 gauge wire be stout enough to handle the load of pulling juice out of the aux battery to spin the engine starter if the starting battery gets weak?

Old 06-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #4

John,
you are correct all of them have the 9.6 volt lock out feature. I do not believe the 7610 is a magnetic latch relay, but it still states a pretty low always on current. As to the 7622 manual override feature, yes it will both combine and disconnect the unit manually, Procedure below:

Also you may not want a battery below 9.6 connected back up anyway.

Manual Control Override Knob PN 7622 / PN 7623
The Manual Control Override Knob provides:
• an added level of safety that allows manual ON-OFF control with or without power
• LOCK OFF for servicing the electrical system
Remote LEDs in control switch indicate when ML-Series ACR is in manual override condition.
Manual Control Override Knob Operations* †
To combine battery banks With Override Knob in (REMOTE position),
push button until latched (Push to Latch On).
To isolate battery banks that
are connected
Rotate Override Knob to right to release button
from Latch On mode (button pops up). Rotate
Override Knob to left (REMOTE position).
To prevent remote operation Rotate Override Knob to right
(LOCK OFF position).
To secure for servicing With Override Knob in (LOCK OFF position),
pass cable tie through hole.
1 2
* Operating the Manual Control Override Knob will override automatic operation of the ML-Series ACR for
10 minutes if the override forces a change in switch state.
† The ML-Series ACR will wait 10 minutes if it attempts to automatically close while the manual knob is
rotated to LOCK OFF.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #5

Thanks Greg

What gauge wire would you suggest I use to connect the system with? It's going to be about a 3'-4' run. Would 6 gauge be stout enough or should I just bite the bullet and go with 2?

I will also be adding an ARB CKMTA-12 on board air compressor in the back bumper. That run is going to be a long one. At least 15' +- a few. The compressor claims a max 56 amp draw at max air flow. I'm hoping I can get away with 8 gauge on that run. But if 6 gauge works for the front circuit I may just buy a bigger spool of that and use it for both.

The on board air compressor will be tied to the aux/winch battery.

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-On-Board-Hi ... 341C9.aspx

Old 06-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

I would not go smaller that 2 str copper for a 12,000lb winch.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #7

I already installed the winch and am running 2/0 gauge wire from the winch to the aux battery. The big weakness in my existing system is the 10 gauge wire that runs from the starting battery side to the aux side to keep the aux battery charged. While 10 gauge will probably work fine if all it has to do is provide a top off charge I'm afraid of what may happen if the winch starts drawing off the starting battery. Or the reverse, if the starter starts drawing off the Aux battery. At this point I am using a simple relay that is triggered off the igniton circuit to seperate them. Basically key off system seperated, key on system connected.

What I need to do is increase the size of the wire connecting both sides of the system and improve the functionality of the relay. The big question in my system upgrade/redo is what gauge wire/cable to use to connect the two sides of the system. I would like to use a 6 gauge battery cable but I'm just not sure if that is stout enough to handle a large current draw from the starting side during extended winch operations. I also need to upgrade the capicity of my aux/winch battery.

I will be using the Blue Sea 7622 relay and putting new AGM batteries on both sides of the system. A 65 for a starting battery and a 27 for the winch battery. I am limited to the size of the 27 for the aux/winch battery. I've read where mixing battery types can be a problem. If I find out it is I either have to use a group 27 strarting battery of install a frame rail mounted 65 for the Aux/winch side.

Thoughts on my plan anyone??????

Old 06-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Well I haven't had any problems with my SMB build and they used #6 although I do wish they would have used 2 strand or 1/O. My diesel has 2 starting batteries and I have a oversized alternator. It keeps up with the winch even if I manually open the seperator. I would be very leery if for some reason I had to draw directly from my house system and the starting system had dead batteries and the engine wasn't running. One time I winched out a pickup and didn't run the engine. It pulled the starting batteries down and then threw a code. I didn't have the 7622 then and the separator opened up when the voltage dropped. Good thing, as the #6 would have been a little light. I always run the engine now while winching and it seems that the #6 from the house system is there only to assist the winch if needed.