Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #11

Honda Generator

Greg ,
We are getting 13 plus hours of very quiet run time on the Eco Throttle setting as well . And I purchased a special additional gas tank that attaches to the Honda 2000 that will allow it to run for twice that amount of time without a refill and it fits very nicely on the top of our Aluminess Galley/Generator Box for transport .
Greggde

Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
We are going to use a spare cap for our Scepter Jerry can to rig a syphon mechanism to make it a spare tank for our Honda 2000. I would imagine it will run for days on that much fuels.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:52 AM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
They actually make a nice gravity fed fuel connection for your generator. As long as you dont use it in california you're golden...I'll get the name of them at work.
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:03 AM   #14

In eco-mode, I get similar longevity from one tank (1gal I think) of gas. Have run my eu2000 for more than 12 hours straight and I think Honda's claimed run time is something like 15. Having to lug a jerry jug of gas on longer trips is a bit of a pain, but against that the eu2000 is very handy and light. I've occasionally used it for situations that aren't SMB/camping related.
Rob
Old 11-16-2008, 06:07 PM   #15

Honda Generator

Here is a web site that has numerous products for those of you that own the Honda and Yamaha Generators .My boy's and I have all purchased the accessory fuel tank and a few other items from them

www.wisesales.com
This tank works very nicely , I also bought the Jumper Cables and
Remote Start but have not used either item yet .
Greggde
Old 11-16-2008, 06:53 PM   #16

Garage

PowerTech (PTRV-3) - Diesel Generator

Pro's:
  • Fuel (single fuel source). Draws diesel from the 46 gallon main tank.

A/C power anywhere (and lots of it). This drives the StarCool with no objections. No need to idle the van (and gunk up the turbo). Let the little guy handle it.

Its is always there (no need to pack a separate generator).

Cons:
  • Initial cost ($5648.00).

This thing loud. It is as least as loud as the diesel van at an elevated idle (and not nearly as smooth).

Under-hang (it does not sit much lower than the rear axle... but due to its aft location, it can interfere with the ground on medium to steep approach/departure angles. I have a nice gash in mine already (very fortunate that I did not take out the PowerTech radiator).

Operation. There is a toggle switch behind PowerTech's access panel (outside, under the van). This switch can toggle all by itself due to the vibration of the van while traveling. This means you never know when the switch on the inside will actually bring the generator to life or not. On a number of occasions, I have had to go outside in the dark, lay on the ground underneath of the van, sneak my fingers up past the generators access panel, and toggle this switch to the 'start' location. I then go back into the van and hit the 'fire' switch. This is on my projects list to fix once and for all - when I get the time.

Alternative Fuels. Without any data right now... I am very leary about trying BIO in my van (not sure how the generator would fair with any fuel outside of ULSD).

Vigilant maintenance. Recommend to start the generator every two weeks minimum and keep it running for 10 - 15 minutes. Keep up on fluid changes and levels as well.

Deep water crossings. Have not had to find out if this is water proof or not - yet.

Cheers,
---TWOLOST---

Cheers,
---Bruce--- (epic-exposure.com/albums/adventure/)
twolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #17

Re: Honda Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
, I also bought the Jumper Cables and
Remote Start but have not used either item yet .
Greggde
Remote start? for which gen? I did a very quick search but didn't find anything for the 1000 or 2000 series...
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #18

Remote Start

The remote Start for the Honda 2000 Generator is apparently no longer available Buji , I just checked and couldn't find it either . The reason that I have not used it is because it required a separate battery and wiring that I haven't gotten around to installing and the more I thought about it the more disenchanted I became . I will eventually get around to installing it , it really seemed like a good idea at the time of purchase . I will call my Son Joel and ask him if he has any idea's on where to get one and get back to you Buji .
Greggde
Old 11-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #19

Remote Start

Buji ,
I have solved the mystery of the Remote for the Honda 2000 , I called my son and he informed me that the Remote is for the 3000iSA that I purchased at the same time that I bought the 2000 . I apologize for this Senior Moment . The 3000iSA comes with the electric start and my son thought that I should order the Remote for it , I of course thought that it was for my little favorite the 2000 , I am sorry that I sent you on a Wild Goose Chase .
Greggde