Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2008, 03:51 AM   #1

Built-in Generator

Did anybody here opt for the built-in Onan Microlite generator from SMB? (installed where stock spare tire goes) What do you think of it? Is it quiet? Can you run it all night without problems?

Thanks,

Old 11-14-2008, 09:35 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Twolost? Yoo hoo.... TwoLost?
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:52 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
We were thinking about this option with our build. A couple of things deterred us from getting it and instead using a quiet Honda 2000 generator.

1. We would loose the valuable space for an under-floor storage

2. We've read and heard that they are not as efficient or as quiet as the Honda Generators.

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
There is no question the Honda 2000 is quiet and very efficient. We love ours.

I also cannot imagine giving up the storage space from the underfloor storage compartment.

...and there is a bumper box or two available to store a Honda 2000 in now...
Old 11-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #5

There's a few things about the built-in generator that are appealing to me. One, it pulls from the van's gas tank, which means you don't have to carry a gas can to fill the generator every time it runs out. I read that the Honda EU2000i runs a maximum of 8 hours on a tank. Also, I've heard about people ripping off generators at campsites. I don't know how big of a deal that is, but having it built-in seems safer and easier to deal with.

By the way, how do you secure your portable generator from being stolen? Or maybe you guys go out far enough it doesn't matter. I will be using my vehicle for both in-town stuff and out in camping parks, so not having to pull out a generator seems much more convenient.

SMB says the Onan generator is the quietest for RV use and is certified for use in national parks (must be a noise level standard). Anybody compared recent models to see if this is true?

As for the under-vehicle storage compartment, yes, it would be sad to lose that, but part of the reason I'm considering this option is because I don't want the propane furnace which takes up a huge amount of the trunk which I need to carry gear (kindof a 6 of one, half dozen of the other). I'd rather just run a ceramic heater either off the generator or shore power when I need it. I guess I could even use a Mr. Heater in a pinch. I think it'd also be great to be able to top off the batteries with the flip of a switch!

The only real bite to all this is the installation cost of $3,500 for the Onan Microlite. Ouch!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:20 PM   #6

The XL underfloor is nice, but it's just another storage space. You can put some (not all) of the junk that would go there in an Aluminess rear bumper box, where your Honda2000 would otherwise go.

If you look at twolost's gallery or website you can see the generator looks like it hangs down more than an XL underfloor.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:20 PM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
I bought used but was able to get an EU2000i very cheap. It works great for everything except the AC. The starcool AC needs 30A and the EU2000 only has 15amp recepticles. You can get two and purchase a parallel connection kit (someone might need to explain why its a parallel kit instead of serial) and you can run your 30 amp. Right now I'm welding a small little frame that will lock my generators through. Maybe I'll have it run from on top of the baja box or on the hitch. I'm interested how some of you guys have done it too..
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:25 PM   #8

Actually, I think Twolost mentioned in their post that they have a Diesel generator and is not the same as the standard petrol Microlite 2.8k, which is green as far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the petrol version would also not hang down that far. I've seen some Dodges where you couldn't even tell it had a generator.

Thanks,
Old 11-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #9

The 15-year-old Onan built in to our "classic" E-350 RB SMB does not come down under the vehicle as far as stuff like the exhaust system, but it's a bit of a job to lower it for service. Happily it does not need service very often. It is much noisier, I'm told, than the new model, and cannot be used during quiet hours in a park. Great thing about a built-in is that anybody can start it any time of day or night with the remote switch in the van and can tell from the meter what it's doing current-wise. Personally I'd much prefer to stay with built-in over lugging a separate unit, but I do wish it were the new, quiet model. Have fun deciding!
1972 Mercedes 350SL with 4.5l V-8, just because
Wag more, Bark less, Play well with others.
Psomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:13 AM   #10

I think someone heard wrong on the Honda 2000 runtime. It has a very nice "eco-throttle" that is load sensing. It will idle unless it needs to produce more juice, and then it ramps up only as far as it is needed. We have run our Honda 2000 all night with no problems and we have run it all day (12 hours at a tailgate party) and never refilled.

...in fact, I am not sure we have ever run it out of gas.....

Maybe we need to test things on Thanksgiving Day.