Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #11

Re: Buying Generator...need Help

Thank you everybody for all the replies!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
The Honda 2000 generator that lots of us have is a portable unit, not a mounted permanent unit that many of the larger rv's have. I have not seen or heard of a fixed mounted generator that would fit our rigs, most are too big, esp if you're talking about 5000W or more. That being said, I think the little Honda units can be chained with another one for more juice, you'll have to look up total output, plus they are pretty quiet. There is a 2000W unit that Costco has powered by Yamaha, goes for a few $$$ less, looks the same as the honda, anybody have any experience with those?
Thanks REF, I too am looking for a portable one. I had an RV with a mounted permanent one and that is way too big for what I'm thinking or would know what to do with. I will take a look at the Yamaha one you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
I'd be real hesitant to expose an expensive generator to the abuse it would get from road spray and flying chunks mounted under the rear of the van. I'd keep it portable and just plug it in before I mounted it under the van.
I am also a bit hesitant, and will probably build some sort of skid plate to protect it from flying debris but there isn't much I can do to protect it from road-grime, dirt and exposure to other unforeseen elements. I don't want to enclose it in a steel box because I think that some airflow is required on the units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
What he said!^^^

A single Honda 2000 (or Yamaha's equivalent) would run everything you need except a roof air unit. They are around $1000 though. If I were thinking of needing more power someday I would buy the Honda 2000 Companion model which has a 30 amp plug, then you just buy the specific cables to tie them together. They are $1K each and this is a better deal than the next size up (3000 model) because it is $2000 by itself. So with 2 2000's you get 4000 watts of power for $2k instead of a heavier single 3000 watt generator for the same $2k, and you can just carry one when that's all you need.

As for mounting a generator underneath, good luck but I don't think it's going to work. As Gnarvan said there is the problem of it being exposed all the time, but more importantly they are built so compactly that you need access to every side. The fuel cap/handle is on the top. The pull cord and power and choke on one side, the power connections on one end and the muffler on the other end. I could see a rack being made where you could lift it up underneath and remove it when necessary, but I don't know that you could safely run it under there. Also, the little buggers are heavy.

Here's a site to see LOTS of different generators, and you won't beat their prices. I got mine from them years ago and had a great experience.

http://www.wisesales.com

http://www.wisesales.com/generators-...eu-series.html

SWEET!! Thank you scotty86, I will check out that site. I forgot to mention that yet there is a roof mounted A/C on the Trailer, not sure of the output though.

Ok, so thanks for clarifying how and where the controls are located. I see that it will be difficult to mount one underneath and still maintain access to the pull handle and fill cap. The power connection and muffler aren't such a big deal as once it's installed I won't need to access it as the trailer has outlets that I could use, and I could plumb an exhaust extension, but the pull handle and fill cap will be something that I will need to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
We have used Honda generators for years and put them through hell. Exposed to all the elements, never shut off the fuel, and until about 15 years ago, we never would change the oil. I'm not saying the new models are as tough because now out shop maintenances them and we do throw on a cover, but they run in the worse weather when needed.
But if I were to want a dedicated Generator I would look very closely at an
Onan. It all depends on what space you have below or other spots to mount them. Their exhaust systems are very quiet (per size) and the fuel system is connected to either your propane or vehicle fuel tank. No need to haul and fill a portable generator but you do loose the portable advantage if you really need that. At least you don't have to worry about theft. I don't know the reliability or cost of maintenance but Onan is very upper class in the generator market and you'll probably pay for it too. SMB west does install them.

Dave
Dave, that looks very promising in regards to the size. It's wide and long, but is not very tall. I think I can easily fit that underneath without it hanging down too low to cause concern for bottoming it out on rocks and such. That size seems to be ideal and I do see the inconvenience of it not being portable but that's ok with me. It also seems to have electric start which will solve the pull chord accessability as well as it having all the service points on one side. Would make it more convenient if I need to access it. I will probably have to build/buy a small gas tank to mount next to it because my Rig is a diesel and although the Onan looks to be made by Cummins, I don't think it will like running on Diesel! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfarm
Honda 2000 mounted in this box http://www.kshmarine.com/generator_box.htm on your location of choice. Can run in box as designed.
Thanks for the link Farm but I don't think that will work for where I want to put it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
The Yamaha and I believe Honda can be converted to propane

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7202

Thanks Tapatio! I checked out the link, I do have propane on the trailer but not on my van so if I were to take my Van camping I would not be able to run the generator. Not sure if I'm ready to install propane on my van though as I don't have a kitchen or real need for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audisnapr

Smarter Tools makes this unit. They also sell it at Home Depot and possibly elsewhere.
http://www.usesmartertools.com/AP-2000i.html

When we travel I store mine in the rear box

All of these portable units would need to be stored and run right side up (oil and fueling issues), making mounting them under the van a bit difficult because of their overall height.
Ok...got it!! They can't be stored or run on it's side, makes sense but it was worth a shot asking! That was my biggest concern because they are quite tall and I don't believe they would fit where I want them to fit if in the standing up position.

Quote:
If your toy hauler has an electric oven your probable going to need more than a 2Kw generator and I'm guessing the cord will probably have to be a minimum of 30A for safety specs. Most RV type ovens pull between 1800-2500 watts alone but smaller trailers might have smaller ones. A small generator is fine for a microwave but even two Honda 2Kw generators only put out a couple of 20a circuits unless you buy the proper models and the 30-amp receptacle kit which would be needed for an oven. A single 3Kw generator might be a better choice. Fairly sure two of the right 3Kw Honda's can also be banked together as well. You will have to figure out the max load you'll be needing at any one time. For instance running the oven might keep you from running the microwave or electric device at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Tell us more about the size of the oven ---- everything else sounds like a no brainer.

And +eleventybillion for Honda EU2000i. I've used the same one for 10 years, no issues.

Honda also makes a larger 3kW unit.

Thanks Dave and ANZAC, I do not know the size of the oven yet but I do know that it is a propane unit, at least I think it is... The trailer is just being finished and I should be able to pick it up next Monday. I have been working overseas during the build and have not been as involved in the build as I had hoped to be. However, I did not think about the load demands of an electric oven, dodged a bullet there I hope. I forgot to add that it has and A/C unit, but again I don't know the size of it. It is a big trailer size wise but because it's a Toy Hauler most if it is just an empty garage so there aren't a million appliances/luxuries to run. I think because of size constraints, a 2000/2500 would be my best bet, and if needs be I could supplement it but I'd rather make do with what I have.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I will update this thread with how/what I end up doing and getting.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
Site Team

Garage

Rooftop A/C + electric oven probably = 3Kw or more with a 50a shore power connector. You need to check if the oven is 220 volt. Ask the trailer mfg for max load and add about another 1Kw if things are going to run together provided you go small as possible. Smaller generators are usually 110 only and might not be able to run multiple things at one time.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #13

Remember that generators are rated at peak power, not continuous power. The Honda 2000 will deliver 2kw for a moment (e.g. electric motor startup), but only 1.6kw continuous. You need to add up the total wattage you expect to use at any one time and multiply by about 1.3 then round up to the closest generator size.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #14

Was there a reason the trailer didn't have a gennie? Putting a gennie in a van to power a trailer's appliances is literally putting the cart before the horse.

Even Sportsmobile isn't keen on installing them, as their website seems to discourage it. It's gonna be a big hassle compared to installing it in the trailer, or just mounting on the exterior of the trailer.

Or did I miss something?

Rob
Old 07-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #15

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... y-Limo-Bus

See the above clicky for underfloor Onan generator install in our rig. Some of the photo links don't work so I'll fix them later today.
McZippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:50 AM   #16

Bro inlaw got a 4000 watt generac that is rv ready for $300 noisier than honda but a box could be built. It runs everyting in his 5th wheel.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Rooftop A/C + electric oven probably = 3Kw or more with a 50a shore power connector. You need to check if the oven is 220 volt. Ask the trailer mfg for max load and add about another 1Kw if things are going to run together provided you go small as possible. Smaller generators are usually 110 only and might not be able to run multiple things at one time.

I think my stove runs on propane. I have some propane tanks on the front of the Trailer to run the water heater, fridge and stove but will confirm that next week when I pick it up. Right now I'm still overseas and won't be home till next Monday. I'll email the builders as well to confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
Remember that generators are rated at peak power, not continuous power. The Honda 2000 will deliver 2kw for a moment (e.g. electric motor startup), but only 1.6kw continuous. You need to add up the total wattage you expect to use at any one time and multiply by about 1.3 then round up to the closest generator size.

Thanks Viejo, did not now that. I'll make a list of everything and start adding up the power consumption of all the items. I just hope that whatever I need, I can find something in the appropriate size that would fit where I'm aiming to have it mounted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
Was there a reason the trailer didn't have a gennie? Putting a gennie in a van to power a trailer's appliances is literally putting the cart before the horse.

Even Sportsmobile isn't keen on installing them, as their website seems to discourage it. It's gonna be a big hassle compared to installing it in the trailer, or just mounting on the exterior of the trailer.

Or did I miss something?

Rob
Hey Rob, I do agree it does seem a bit ass backwards in that sense. However the Trailer will never go anywhere without the Van, it's my only tow rig and if the Trailer goes somewhere the Van leads. So they won't be apart in that sense, where one goes the other is always there. However my Van/SMB doubles as a support vehicle for my motor-sports needs. I carry most of my tools in the van and also plan on having a compressor and air-tanks installed to run Air-tools in addition to power tools. I would rather have the gennie on the support vehicle which I use 100% of the time as opposed to on the trailer which doesn't always go with me to some of my events. And I go camping quite a bit with just the Van and would rather have the gennie on the Van where I will have it 100% of the time as opposed to on the Trailer. At least that was my thinking on it.

And I'm having the Trailer built from scratch, it's a 28ft triple axle car hauler/Toy Hauler. Nobody makes a toy hauler that can haul full size trucks, all I've been able to find are haulers that haul Rhino's, buggies and motorcycles, nothing capable of hauling a 5000lb truck. I needed something beefy enough to haul around race trucks and cars so I'm having one built to suit that purpose. It will have a bank of batteries for the basic house needs, and if more is needed than the gennie will kick in. If worse comes to worse I could always install a gennie on the trailer though, there is spot for it on the tongue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
Bro inlaw got a 4000 watt generac that is rv ready for $300 noisier than honda but a box could be built. It runs everyting in his 5th wheel.

Did he install it on his 5th wheeler or Van? Any pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McZippie
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/84103-McZippie-s-2009-Ford-E350-Diesel-Cutaway-Limo-Bus

See the above clicky for underfloor Onan generator install in our rig. Some of the photo links don't work so I'll fix them later today.

Sweet, looks like you've done this already and with the Onan! I checked out your link, that is one BADASS rig!! My internet is pretty restricted so not all your pics came through but a few of them worked for me and I have a few questions for you. How quiet is it with the placement of it under the floor? Could someone sleep inside the Van with the Onan running? Any issues with having limited access to it? I noticed and like the remote generator starter switch, would make it much easier than having to get underneath all the time to start it. How big of a fuel tank do you have and how long does it last?

Also, do you happen to have the brand and model number of that fridge? I've been looking for one like that for my Van but haven't been able to find one yet.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #18

Ditto on the hondas. The Eu200 can be linked together, are light and easy to move and ditto the above. Don't put it under the van. I keep mine in a locked box on the back. Bomber! Yes google honda propane if your interested. Also plenty of long run tank solutions if needed.
GoProCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #19

I still think you'd be happier with portables, and the two Hondas or Yamahas in series is a good idea. With the van it's always good to have things that are dual use. And they are way more quiet than the Onans, unless they've come up with something new.

You say the van will always be with the trailer, so I guess you never have someone taking it somewhere and leaving someone in the trailer with a need for using tools, etc. And I'm guessing you're doing offroad motorsports, but there were occasions on the track where we had to have my van separated from the trailer, or needed power in a pit area and that's when having a mobile gennie was really handy. And I know you're gonna use air tools, but it's way easier to carry a portable generator than a big air tank if you need to use a power tool somewhere else. In fact I'd say ALL my toyhauler pals have portable generators in addition to the built-in Onans.

And that way when you don't need a big generator in you're van you're not stuck carrying it around.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
I still think you'd be happier with portables, and the two Hondas or Yamahas in series is a good idea. With the van it's always good to have things that are dual use. And they are way more quiet than the Onans, unless they've come up with something new.

You say the van will always be with the trailer, so I guess you never have someone taking it somewhere and leaving someone in the trailer with a need for using tools, etc. And I'm guessing you're doing offroad motorsports, but there were occasions on the track where we had to have my van separated from the trailer, or needed power in a pit area and that's when having a mobile gennie was really handy. And I know you're gonna use air tools, but it's way easier to carry a portable generator than a big air tank if you need to use a power tool somewhere else. In fact I'd say ALL my toyhauler pals have portable generators in addition to the built-in Onans.

And that way when you don't need a big generator in you're van you're not stuck carrying it around.
So I've been doing some research and reading up on house batteries, inverters, converters and Generators, and the more I read the more I think I'm gonna opt for two portable's in series like your suggesting. Not only for the efficiency and cost of them but it would make sense that I could swap them between rigs when necessary, I just have to find the proper location on each rig for them. My only problem now is to find where I can put them in my Van. I don't have a box on my rear bumper and I don't really want to store them inside the van. The inside of my van is combination toy hauler and sleeper, so space is at a premium since nothing can be in the center of the van. So everything is pushed up against the sides and making space for two genny's is gonna be a problem.

I'm wondering if I could fit a portable Honda back behind the rear tires up in quarter panel. I'd have to cut an access panel but it might work...I dunno, I'll have to check it out when I get home.