Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #21

Garage
Re: Buying Generator...need Help

Don't want to hijack that thread but does anyone know a small portable 2000W diesel generator, somethink like a "diesel Honda"? Thanks

Old 07-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt
Don't want to hijack that thread but does anyone know a small portable 2000W diesel generator, somethink like a "diesel Honda"? Thanks
I briefly searched for a generator like that, but came up empty, or at least empty with something that would fit my requirements. If I recall correctly, the smallest diesel generator I found was something like 3000W, but it was not man-portable. I believe it weighed somehting like 150lbs.

I ended up with a Honda 2000, but I'd be curious if you find a generator along the lines like you are looking for.

Herb
Old 07-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #23
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Buying Generator...need Help

Are you planning on putting solar panels on your hauler? Might want to look into that, would at least keep you from having to run the gennie just to keep the hauler batts topped off. Plus with an inverter, solar alone would be able to keep up with most everything except for maybe the compressor for air tools depending on the number of panels.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #24

Don't want to hi-jack but Pschitt inquired about diesel gen. It is not portable but if you look at twolost's van you will see a yellow generator poking out the bottom in the back where under-van storage is located. Generally speaking portability and diesel do not go hand in hand.
catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #25
Site Team

Garage

I wondered about why you would have an electric oven in an RV. Propane is the way to go. A 15,000b btu A/C will probably pull about 1500 watts. I'm not sure what the startup amperage would be but a 2000w might not do it. Twin 2000 Honda's would be more than you would need to run the air conditioner. If you spec the air, you might look at the Honda 3000I handi...it's fairly light, has wheels to move and packs enough power to handle the right A/C such as a 13btu model.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
Are you planning on putting solar panels on your hauler? Might want to look into that, would at least keep you from having to run the gennie just to keep the hauler batts topped off. Plus with an inverter, solar alone would be able to keep up with most everything except for maybe the compressor for air tools depending on the number of panels.
I would like to eventually but right now it's not on the top of my ToDo list. I think all that the Hauler is coming with is two house batteries which I am gonna assume at this point are some kind of wet cheapo's. I want to live with it as is for a few weeks/month at which point, once I figure out my power needs I'd like to switch to 4 6V AGM batteries but I'll have to do some kind of energy Audit before then at which point I'll weight the options of Solar. I would like to though, I'm a big fan of Solar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I wondered about why you would have an electric oven in an RV. Propane is the way to go. A 15,000b btu A/C will probably pull about 1500 watts. I'm not sure what the startup amperage would be but a 2000Kw might not do it. Twin 2000 Honda's would be more than you would need to run the air conditioner. If you spec the air, you might look at the Honda 3000I handi...it's fairly light, has wheels to move and packs enough power to handle the right A/C such as a 13btu model.
I was told one 2000W genny would be able to support the haulers power needs but if I wanted to run anything else such as power tools, flood lights, compressors and what not, then I would have to step up to something bigger.

Been reading alot of threads in this section and you seem to be contributing in all of them Dave! Lol You seem to have a good handle on the Electrical demands of SMB's and Trailers! I'd like to understand all this before I tackle the Electrical system so I don't waste time and $$ learning. I keep reading and keep getting a better understanding of what it's gonna take.

PS A Diesel Generator would be AWESOME!! :drool:
Old 07-11-2013, 12:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by McZippie
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/84103-McZippie-s-2009-Ford-E350-Diesel-Cutaway-Limo-Bus

See the above clicky for underfloor Onan generator install in our rig. Some of the photo links don't work so I'll fix them later today.

Sweet, looks like you've done this already and with the Onan! I checked out your link, that is one BADASS rig!! My internet is pretty restricted so not all your pics came through but a few of them worked for me and I have a few questions for you. How quiet is it with the placement of it under the floor? Could someone sleep inside the Van with the Onan running? Any issues with having limited access to it? I noticed and like the remote generator starter switch, would make it much easier than having to get underneath all the time to start it. How big of a fuel tank do you have and how long does it last?

Also, do you happen to have the brand and model number of that fridge? I've been looking for one like that for my Van but haven't been able to find one yet.
We never sleep with the genie running but it's quiet enough to not be obnoxious.

There is removable panel on the frame side to change spark plug, air filter and change/check oil.
The gas tank is 5 gallons and is made for Race Cars. I top off the tank before a typical 2 week vacation and always come back with 2 to 3 gallons left. We drive a lot so rarely need to run the gennie to charge the batteries.

Onan has an under floor mounting kit and propane or gasoline models.

The fridge is an Engel MT45.

I still haven't fixed the pictures on my Rig's thread but should do it tomorrow.
McZippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #28

Update: Got the trailer, thread can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11442

Looks like the major appliances are propane powered and the only item that would require the use of a Generator when not plugged into shore power would be the A/C and the microwave. I asked the builders and they say a Honda 2000 would be plenty to run the whole trailer at full consumption. So I'm gonna go that route!
Old 07-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #29

Good deal; nice trailer. whaddya towing in that, btw?

And you'll find a place to tuck in that generator. They're remarkably small for what they do. Might even be a way to store it in a box over those propane tanks, but make sure to lock it up. They tend to disappear.

Rob
Old 07-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
Good deal; nice trailer. whaddya towing in that, btw?

And you'll find a place to tuck in that generator. They're remarkably small for what they do. Might even be a way to store it in a box over those propane tanks, but make sure to lock it up. They tend to disappear.

Rob

I tow this!!!

4500lbs 1/2 ton RCSB truck.

Turns out it fit between the wheel wells nicely :P

Also plenty of room behind the truck:

And In front too:

I think all in all I have about 18" of clearance fore and aft and about 22" side to side. Plenty of room, so that's a bit of a relief. I think fully loaded as it is now I'm probably pushing close to 13,000lbs...

Also got a small vid of my Duramax in action!! Love this engine!!! I decided I wanted to try to back up the loaded trailer, up a 15% Hill!! Haha

http://youtu.be/-MHwaAfMc6A