Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2009, 12:17 AM   #1

CB and Ceiling Light Question

I purchased a 2002 Sportsmobile last weekend and will be heading out for my first trip (Saline Valley) on the 25th. There are some issues that I'm trying o work out - one is how to get the dome lights and CB working. All electrical is working, I have checked the fuses both at the 12v location under my bench seat as well as the fuses under the drivers side dash. The fuses are fine, but the airplane style dome light as well as the CB are non-functional.

Any ideas?

Old 04-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #2

Re: CB and Ceiling Light Question

The dome light on my SMB is retarded. It will only come on if the dash lights are full bright. Try rotating the headlight switch to the stops and see if the dome light will come on.

For the CB, no help here.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #3

The dome light buttons are interrupts for each side so if the door is open or the headlight know is rotated all the way on (brightest dash then a little further) there should be power to the dome light. Each switch interrupts the power for that side, meaning you can turn the light OFF but not on.

In other words, turn the headlight knob all the way up until it clicks at the end, then cycle both dome light buttons. If nothing comes on you'll have to investigate further.

The dome light is easy to remove- gently pull the outer ring to expose 4 screws, remove the screws and pull down. You can test the wires for power and ground at the dome light itself.

The CB (and possibly the dome light) power don't come from the start side of the SMB, it (they) come from the house side. Of course that is assuming SMB put the CB in and did it like they usually do. There may be a fuse in the back of the CB, or an inline fuse in the CB wiring (it would be a white plastic tube to hold and old style glass fuse).

There are only 3 10 amp fuses in my house power (mine is under the 50 couch on the passenger side) and although none are specifically for the console, you should check those as well. My guess would be the lack of CB and dome power are related at the source, although it could be a fuse in one and burned bulbs in the other.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #4

I've looked at all the fuses, but they are all working fine. Then this afternoon I was able to turn the CB on. next step is for me to see if replacement of the bulbs is all that is necessary for the dome light.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #5

Incidentially I've found that the mirrored visor lights are on a timer that runs longer than the dome light timer (when activated by the doors). The mirrored visors are on when the doors open and for a period thereafter, or on when the key is on, and on for a period thereafter.

During a headliner project I tested the wire for them and it was on. Several minutes later I retested and it was off. I thought I'd done something to bugger it, but it turns out it's on a different timer/activation system than anything else.

Good luck!