Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2007, 02:05 PM   #1

CB Antennas

Anyone out there installed a CB in their SMB? I'm not really worried about the radio install, that I've got covered, but am in a quandry as to what antenna to use and where to mount it. I've been using a 3' magnetic mount whip on the roof, but I keep knocking it off on tree limbs. I don't want to go too high due to obvious concerns with overhead clearance, but a short whip up there would be OK. What about an L bracket that comes up beside the hood and over the fender? Something mounted to one of the bumpers?? I'm not a radio guy and really don't know what would be best.
So, I hate to use a four letter word, but HELP!

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:29 PM   #2

I like the left side hood install as the antenna seems to visually balance the radio antenna.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Site Team

Your best radio performance will take place with the antenna installed on the roof (high up, little to no obstruction), however survivability is an issue as you've discovered. I have both my CB antenna, and my 2m/70cm ham radio antenna attached high up on my rear bumper (one on the spare tire carrier, and one on the cooler rack) on my Bronco, providing some protection from driving through brush, and still getting as much as possible of the antenna above the roof line (if I actually had a roof). Make sure you have a good ground as most all metal is painted or powdercoated.

I was going to mention the positive groundplane effect of the roof, but there's very little metal roof (assuming you have a penthouse-fiberglass), so I'm not sure how much that would contribute.

Herb
Old 07-20-2007, 11:59 AM   #4

Thanks for the input guys, I'm starting to get an idea on what I need. I do have the penthouse so not much ground plane there and don't want to go very high. A bumper mount would be OK but I'm leaning towards the "L" bracket between the hood and the fender. Not much metal there either as the hood is fiberglass too. Is that a problem? I want it removable as the only time I'll be using it is when traveling with someone else. That doesn't happen too often as it's hard finding someone else dumb enough to go the places we like.
There's so many antennas out there that it's really confusing. Base load, top load, fiberglas, whip,.... Any input on exactly what antenna to get?

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 07-20-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
Site Team

Lots of options for antennas, and even more for antenna mounts.

I use a Firestik CB antenna, that has a tuneable tip.

Regarding mounts, some options to consider are quick disconnects if you don't want the antenna "up" all the time, or a fold-over option that allows the antenna to fold over 90 degress when not in use (BTW, never key the mic with an antenna disconnected). There are also heavy duty magnetic mounts (3 magnetic bases, with the antenna connector on a plate that rests between them), and spring mounts. Be careful with spring mounts if you have a long antenna, the antenna can whip back and forth violently. I've also seen roll bar mounts that with a good ground strap, could probably be used on the top portion of your front Aluminess bumper.

Herb
Old 07-21-2007, 03:44 PM   #6

rooftop CB

My CB antenna is in the standard spot on the roof, and has held up OK to lots of abuse. The plastic base did aquire a little crack a while ago, but still seems to work fine.

I've whacked it against a low bridge (10-foot clearance, near my home) many times at high speed, and squeezed/brushed/scraped under quite a few low branches (at crawling speed) on old logging roads, and it's basically survived.

-- Geoff
Old 07-21-2007, 06:37 PM   #7

I decided not to get the CB in my build from Sportsmobile West, for two reasons. I don't travel with anyone who has one and I was concerned with the tall attenna on top of an already tall vehicle. I had a CB in a Ranger I had and I hit the attenna many times on all sorts of low hanging things. It still would be nice to have another form of emergency communication.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:08 PM   #8

Herb, thanks for the info, I just might go back to the magnetic type. Especially the multible magnet type.
Geoff - How tall of an antenna do you have up on the roof? Brand, model, work OK???

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 07-23-2007, 02:37 PM   #9

I can't stand to be on the highway without a CB. There is a whole world of conversation and events going on that you only get access to through #19. I feel rather blind and deaf without it.

That being said I'm kind of a black sheep of the radio guys. I've had outstanding luck with everything from the cheapo $15 flea market radio to the $110 radio shack model. I've used all sizes of antennas, sometimes swapping sizes on the same vehicle at different times. I've never tuned a thing or worried about ground planes etc. I just bolt 'em or magnetic 'em whereever they fit and plug in the CB. My old XJ had a 6' and then later a 3' antenna bolted directly to the fiberglass rear door about 1/2 way up and it had a twin on the other side that I boot-jacked into my radio antenna. It all worked just fine.

Remember you're not trying to have a crystal clear conversation with California from New Mexico, just to keep in touch with someone you're at most a dozen miles away and travelling with.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Does anyone have a CB Antenna mounted on the opposite fender from the factory radio antenna? ...and what antenna and mount?

We are having a CB installed but would prefer not to mount the antenna over the CB in the center of the cab roof.

Second choice would be to one side of the penthouse, but not attached to the penthouse; anyone done this?
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote