Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2018, 02:11 AM   #1

CCI CO Detector and Propane/Gas Detector

I just did a search and can't find a thread that I thought was here.

My CO detector doesn't work. I read there's a near direct replacement by I believe Safe-T-Alert. Is this the model?

https://www.amazon.com/Safe-T-Alert-...s=cci+controls

I have considered a battery operated model, but do not know the pros vs cons compared to hardwiring.

I'm also looking at installing a Propane/Gas detector. I have seen this battery operated one recommended, but again, not sure of best comparing hardwiring and battery operated.

https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-Battery...age=en_US&th=1

There's a small battery operated smoke detector in the ceiling that has no battery in it, so was thinking just check/replace batteries periodically as needed.

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Wandering Bob
Attached Thumbnails
SMBCoDetector.jpg  

WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:34 AM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
CCI CO Detector and Propane/Gas Detector

That link looks like it’s for a propane detector, and is a larger unit than at least what I already had, and I didn’t want to start cutting bigger holes. I purchased replacements for both my CO and propane (now deleted) at the Sportsmobile store a little while back. Although the propane detector they sell was a slightly different (newer) unit than what I had and would have required minor trimming for it to fit.
I’d stick to hardwired units, you’ll have less of a chance of being woken up at 2am from dead battery chirps, unless you’re like me and on several occasions run your house battery down too far....[emoji2959]
https://www.sportsmobilestore.com/se...ection=product
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
That link looks like it’s for a propane detector, and is a larger unit than at least what I already had, and I didn’t want to start cutting bigger holes. I purchased replacements for both my CO and propane (now deleted) at the Sportsmobile store a little while back. Although the propane detector they sell was a slightly different (newer) unit than what I had and would have required minor trimming for it to fit.
I’d stick to hardwired units, you’ll have less of a chance of being woken up at 2am from dead battery chirps, unless you’re like me and on several occasions run your house battery down too far....[emoji2959]
https://www.sportsmobilestore.com/se...ection=product
Thanks Ray.

I posted two links ... and of course got them backwards. Doh!

Nice to know what is recommended (or at least sold), by SportsMobile.

Good point about hardwiring. Interesting that co/smoke combo sold at SMB is battery operated and the other 2 are hardwired.

I will prolly end up gutting my build and start over with new interior in the spring to gain more storage, so cutting a bit bigger hole will be ok.

Just need to figure out the "bed" thing. That's why I keep looking at your build! Haha!

PS- you deleted propane from your new build? How will you heat than van? Diesel?

Bob
Old 12-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #4

Garage
I replaced mine about two years ago and ended out contacting Safe T Alert, they directed me to a web site that listed compatible models (same size hole) since certain models have been discontinued. I dont recall how to access the site, I'm sure if you call they can help.
MTI Industries Inc, 31632 N. Ellis Dr. #301, Volo, IL 60073
Old 12-01-2018, 04:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I replaced mine about two years ago and ended out contacting Safe T Alert, they directed me to a web site that listed compatible models (same size hole) since certain models have been discontinued. I dont recall how to access the site, I'm sure if you call they can help.
That's good to know. I'll give them a call Monday!

Thanks so much!

Wandering Bob
Old 12-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Twoxentrix,

No luck on getting a website from MTI. Is your replacement a MTI, Safe T Alert brand? From your post, seems like another brand.

Do you have access to see what name brand your is?

Thank you again.

Bob
Old 12-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #7

Garage
Just took a look, it is a Safety Alert Model 35-742...I just looked on E-Bay and provided a link below to a Brown one (Mine is Black), but this should get you on the right path assuming the originals were the same:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MTI-Industr...S!-1:rk:1:pf:0
Old 12-07-2018, 05:14 PM   #8

So just pulled the panel and the hot wire had been disconnected! Apparently that is why it was not working! Haha!

Am I correct in thinking these monitors chime at end of life? Prolly, the reason it was disconnected.

Still looking for a replacement that I don't have to pull cabinetry to cut a bigger hole to accommodate a newer version.

Thanks, Bob
Old 12-07-2018, 05:25 PM   #9

Garage
If I'm not mistaken, someplace on the front panel of the Safety Alert it states they should be replaced after 60 months (or something to that effect). I would still replace the unit - the link I sent you was the same unit I purchased and it fit perfectly...again, assuming our old units were the same
Old 12-07-2018, 06:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Just took a look, it is a Safety Alert Model 35-742...I just looked on E-Bay and provided a link below to a Brown one (Mine is Black), but this should get you on the right path assuming the originals were the same:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MTI-Industr...S!-1:rk:1:pf:0
Thanks for the extra effort, but I'm looking for separate CO/smoke and Gas/Propane.

By the time Propane reaches the hight of a CO/smoke detector or vs versa, it's prolly all over.

CO up high, propane down low.

I guess, I''l be pully cabinets and the wall.

Again thanks.

Bob