Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2018, 02:11 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sterling, AK
Posts: 119
CCI CO Detector and Propane/Gas Detector

I just did a search and can't find a thread that I thought was here.

My CO detector doesn't work. I read there's a near direct replacement by I believe Safe-T-Alert. Is this the model?

https://www.amazon.com/Safe-T-Alert-...s=cci+controls

I have considered a battery operated model, but do not know the pros vs cons compared to hardwiring.

I'm also looking at installing a Propane/Gas detector. I have seen this battery operated one recommended, but again, not sure of best comparing hardwiring and battery operated.

https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-Battery...age=en_US&th=1

There's a small battery operated smoke detector in the ceiling that has no battery in it, so was thinking just check/replace batteries periodically as needed.

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Wandering Bob
Attached Thumbnails
SMBCoDetector.jpg  
__________________

WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:34 AM   #2
REF
Senior Member
 
REF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boulder, CO.
Posts: 1,799
Send a message via MSN to REF
CCI CO Detector and Propane/Gas Detector

That link looks like itís for a propane detector, and is a larger unit than at least what I already had, and I didnít want to start cutting bigger holes. I purchased replacements for both my CO and propane (now deleted) at the Sportsmobile store a little while back. Although the propane detector they sell was a slightly different (newer) unit than what I had and would have required minor trimming for it to fit.
Iíd stick to hardwired units, youíll have less of a chance of being woken up at 2am from dead battery chirps, unless youíre like me and on several occasions run your house battery down too far....
https://www.sportsmobilestore.com/se...ection=product
__________________

__________________
'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
(de)SMB'd Custom RB-50
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile Offroad's R.I.P. package
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:19 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sterling, AK
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
That link looks like itís for a propane detector, and is a larger unit than at least what I already had, and I didnít want to start cutting bigger holes. I purchased replacements for both my CO and propane (now deleted) at the Sportsmobile store a little while back. Although the propane detector they sell was a slightly different (newer) unit than what I had and would have required minor trimming for it to fit.
Iíd stick to hardwired units, youíll have less of a chance of being woken up at 2am from dead battery chirps, unless youíre like me and on several occasions run your house battery down too far....
https://www.sportsmobilestore.com/se...ection=product
Thanks Ray.

I posted two links ... and of course got them backwards. Doh!

Nice to know what is recommended (or at least sold), by SportsMobile.

Good point about hardwiring. Interesting that co/smoke combo sold at SMB is battery operated and the other 2 are hardwired.

I will prolly end up gutting my build and start over with new interior in the spring to gain more storage, so cutting a bit bigger hole will be ok.

Just need to figure out the "bed" thing. That's why I keep looking at your build! Haha!

PS- you deleted propane from your new build? How will you heat than van? Diesel?

Bob
WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Twoxentrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
Posts: 1,057
Garage
I replaced mine about two years ago and ended out contacting Safe T Alert, they directed me to a web site that listed compatible models (same size hole) since certain models have been discontinued. I dont recall how to access the site, I'm sure if you call they can help.
MTI Industries Inc, 31632 N. Ellis Dr. #301, Volo, IL 60073
1.800.383.0269
__________________
TwoXentrix
"AWOL"
Twoxentrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:14 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sterling, AK
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I replaced mine about two years ago and ended out contacting Safe T Alert, they directed me to a web site that listed compatible models (same size hole) since certain models have been discontinued. I dont recall how to access the site, I'm sure if you call they can help.
MTI Industries Inc, 31632 N. Ellis Dr. #301, Volo, IL 60073
1.800.383.0269
That's good to know. I'll give them a call Monday!

Thanks so much!

Wandering Bob
WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sterling, AK
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I replaced mine about two years ago and ended out contacting Safe T Alert, they directed me to a web site that listed compatible models (same size hole) since certain models have been discontinued. I dont recall how to access the site, I'm sure if you call they can help.
MTI Industries Inc, 31632 N. Ellis Dr. #301, Volo, IL 60073
1.800.383.0269
Twoxentrix,

No luck on getting a website from MTI. Is your replacement a MTI, Safe T Alert brand? From your post, seems like another brand.

Do you have access to see what name brand your is?

Thank you again.

Bob
WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Twoxentrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
Posts: 1,057
Garage
Just took a look, it is a Safety Alert Model 35-742...I just looked on E-Bay and provided a link below to a Brown one (Mine is Black), but this should get you on the right path assuming the originals were the same:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MTI-Industr...S!-1:rk:1:pf:0
__________________
TwoXentrix
"AWOL"
Twoxentrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:14 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sterling, AK
Posts: 119
So just pulled the panel and the hot wire had been disconnected! Apparently that is why it was not working! Haha!

Am I correct in thinking these monitors chime at end of life? Prolly, the reason it was disconnected.

Still looking for a replacement that I don't have to pull cabinetry to cut a bigger hole to accommodate a newer version.

Thanks, Bob
WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:25 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Twoxentrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
Posts: 1,057
Garage
If I'm not mistaken, someplace on the front panel of the Safety Alert it states they should be replaced after 60 months (or something to that effect). I would still replace the unit - the link I sent you was the same unit I purchased and it fit perfectly...again, assuming our old units were the same
__________________
TwoXentrix
"AWOL"
Twoxentrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:00 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sterling, AK
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Just took a look, it is a Safety Alert Model 35-742...I just looked on E-Bay and provided a link below to a Brown one (Mine is Black), but this should get you on the right path assuming the originals were the same:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MTI-Industr...S!-1:rk:1:pf:0
Thanks for the extra effort, but I'm looking for separate CO/smoke and Gas/Propane.

By the time Propane reaches the hight of a CO/smoke detector or vs versa, it's prolly all over.

CO up high, propane down low.

I guess, I''l be pully cabinets and the wall.

Again thanks.

Bob
__________________

WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.