Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #31

Re: Cell phone booster

Sorry, I just noticed this thread again.

I had a much more rinky dink wilson. I'm sure yours will be great. Mine wasn't bad, just not as good as the rig I got from smoothtalker. Everyone's mileage may vary.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #32

Question for those who purchased and installed a smooth talker.

1. How did you run the wire from the magnetic antennna on the roof (for those with a penthouse top) to the inside? I was thinking infront of the penthouse top. Did you drill through the roof and seal it with some sort of gromet?

2. Did you place the amplifier near the front and run it off the car battery system or in the rear and run off the house system? If you used the house system, did you install a power switch? I am leaning toward the house system and switch.

Your thoughts?
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #33
Site Team

I did not drill a hole in my roof. My antenna is in front of the penthouse. I just ran the wire on the outside to the door frame, then down the door frame under the rubber seal, then under the door step to under the driver's seat. I bolted the amplifier to the front of the bottom of the driver's seat and keep the plug in under the seat. I pull out the plug and plug it in when I need it. Works like a charm.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #34

which smooth talker did you get? I have a basic - read:not smart phone - Verison phone with a keyboard. Would your smooth talker work for me?

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #35

Yes, it boosts the signal with a 3 watt amplifier and also improve reception with the type of antenna. The antenna is specific to the terrain you reside. I have the 2" antenna with the 3" magnetic base, ideal for valleys, dense canopy. The long antenna are ideal for flat dessert. Look at their website then consult them about you vehicle and intended use.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #36

"Yeah, I'm with you Herb and Woody. But like you said, there are emergencies....
From what I understand, these boosters are just that, boosters. Will they come up with a signal when you don't get any bars on your phone by itself?"

I wanted to give a field report using the 3 Watt Smooth Talker Cellphone Booster kit with the 2" antenna and 3" magnetic base...ideal for forest and mountains. The long antennas are best for dessert camping. I used the Verizon Droid Increadible. Adding the booster gave me only 1 bar and only intermittantly. I thought the unit did not work, the minimal bar change could just result from hand movement. However, looking at signal strength in options the signal would go from -95 dB to -60 dB, meaning the cell phone was not instructed by the cell tower to boost the signal. -80 dB is a good signal requiring no more boosting by the cell.

What does this mean? I would be either on the back side of Mt Hood with no signal. I place the booster and with "no bars" I would have internet and cell service with no dropped calls. I turn off the booster and nothing. Also experienced this again on Vancouver Island. I would have 3 bars and no internet, spotty cell coverage. Booster, internet and cell service.

It works well. As for emergency situations, I have had limitations with Iridium and deep canyons. Yes, if I had the $$$ for that toy, I would get one. But $600/yr fee...I can spend my money elsewhere, for now.

The booster. Glad I got it.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #37

See now I was tempted to get this for our last trip:
http://www.dragonext.com/personal-cell- ... evice.html
Old 07-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #38

I always wanted a jammer for when I ride public buses in NYC - which doesn't happen as often as it used to. They're illegal in this country, though, is what I had been told. FCC's domain.

I used to browse the site at globalgadget.uk
Old 07-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #39
Site Team

My wife used to have a hand-held clicker that would turn off televisions whenever she was in the waiting room at the doctor's office or we were at a restaurant when the television was blaring so loud we couldn't hear each other. It's always amazing to me how loud the TV is in an doctor's office when the people in the waiting room are so sick. She didn't use it often, but when she did, it was great. Except for the time she turned off the televisions at the Cheese Cake Factory in the middle of a baseball game and it took almost 15 minutes for the satellite dish to reacquire. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on one's perspective) the thing broke. And now they don't sell them any more.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
a hand-held clicker that would turn off televisions
Had one of those. Loved it. Used it at my in-laws once and it didn't go over well- even though no one is in the room apparently the TV has to be on... it stopped working around the time digital got mandated, so I think the codes wound up out of date after a few years. Thing was awesome.