Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #1

Change Electric Penthouse switch?

Has anyone changed their electric penthouse lift switch from a momentary on/off/momentary on to a on/off/on switch? I've only lifted my penthouse about 12 times and I'm already tired of holding it in the whole time. Indiana north installed this switch so I'm not sure if west and south use the on/off/on one.

My electric skills are in question so I don't want to just "guess" at one. An illuminated one to show that it was on would be the best. Found these on line.

Mine? http://www.amazon.com/DPDT-Momentary...=pd_sim_auto_1

Might work? http://www.amazon.com/Amp-DPDT-On-Of...=pd_sbs_auto_3

Illuminated would be best http://www.wiringproducts.com/electr...ff-on-red.html
Pics to follow.

Thanks for any help.

Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #2

Change Electric Penthouse switch?

Pics of my switch

Steve in Madison WI
2013 E350 EB, V10 6.8ltr
Toyo 285/70 17
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373204415.356149.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373204427.839428.jpg  
Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage
Re: Change Electric Penthouse switch?

The motors probably have limiter switches but I still would fear that there might be an issue if I walked away and forgot about leaving it on. Not worth it IMO.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #4

I hate that switch too. I've watched my volt meter as I've used it.
Voltage drops a bit (of course) while the motor is running but jumps back up as soon as the top reaches a limit of travel even though I still have my finger on the switch. So the motor is cutting off automatically.
There must be a switch/relay (probably expensive) that can sense that drop in current and release back to a neutral/off position. Something like the power window switch in new cars that run it to full travel without having to keep your finger on the switch.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #5

Sportsmobile used to supply power switches that stay latched when pressed (not "momentary"), at least in the top "lower" position.

When I bought my van in 2004, I asked about a latching switch, and they gave me one of these old switches of theirs. I finally swapped the latching switch into place last year in my van, and I totally love not having to sit there holding it when packing up camp.

So, yes, the system must be designed with limit switches to automatically stop the motors when the top is fully down. I've left my switch in the "lower" position for days. I would guess it is the same way for the "raise" position.

Sportsmobile told me they did not supply switches that stay latched when the "raise" position, because the top motors are geared low enough that they can easily destroy the top of your van if you forget to unlatch your top. (I've come close to doing that.)

Nonetheless, I've been tempted to find a switch that latches in both directions, but perhaps with some kind of safety cover or hidden interlock. My disaster scenario is some little child knocking the switch into "raise" position when I'm not looking, or even an adult thinking it's a light switch. I like your sign, 4MacFam, but I have a 3-year-old monkeychild who doesn't read yet.

-- Geoff