Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2019, 11:00 AM   #1

Charge house battery at EV chargers

Is it possible to charge house batteries at EV chargers? I'd like to use the KISAE DMT-1250 charger setup that scalf77 just wrote up here. http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ger-24264.html

I'm also debating between the Firefly carbon foam battery or a Battleborn.

r27d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:22 PM   #2

Garage
That might not play as you're not charging an EV.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahamby View Post
That might not play as you're not charging an EV.
It's not something I'd do in cities there's a surplus of empty chargers available in the ski towns I'm boondocking near during the winter. During stormy periods plugging in would give me some peace of mind.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:19 PM   #4

So, I am not really up on EV charging stations. but I believe most of them have level 1 & 2 capabilities es which would be a standard 110 outlet and level 2 would be a RV plug. But you would need a shore-power charger to take advantage of that. The KISAE is not a shore-power charger.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
So, I am not really up on EV charging stations. but I believe most of them have level 1 & 2 capabilities es which would be a standard 110 outlet and level 2 would be a RV plug. But you would need a shore-power charger to take advantage of that. The KISAE is not a shore-power charger.

-greg
I did a bunch of research this afternoon on EV charging and the J1772 standard plug requires some analog signals to "negotiate" the charger connection and turn them on. There's some products ($750) out there for DIY EVs but they're for 24v minimum and only do 15A. It's also possible to program an arduino to send the control signals but I'll have to wait on figuring that out. The KISAE AC1260 is the shore-power charger I was considering to along with the DMT-1250.

I think I'll go with the Battleborn battery because I could carry an 31lb battery (or two) into a buddy's place to charge up while we're skiing and a small agm battery that can power my critical systems while that's happening. Or I could add a second alternator but I'd really like to avoid idling and unnecessary driving during the worst weather.