Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2008, 08:59 AM   #11

Just found a down side to the remote paging system. Traveling on HWY 50 in the middle of Nevada (near the shoe tree) there was a huge downpour. My wife was driving and suddenly a new sounding alarm went off. With the rain pounding it was hard to pin down the source of the alarm. It turned out to be the key-fob remote. The rain hit the windshield so hard it activated the remote paging system. Maybe not a good feature if you live in an area that has hail.

charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #12

That's a design flaw... the feature shouldn't be active while driving.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:36 PM   #13

Re: Chilly Dog?

Charlie

I wanted to get an update on the chilli dog system installed by Rob at sportsmobile. I will be living full time in the van with my cat and will be relying on the system as a back up when at the RV park and by itself when in a campsite. I am installing the danhard ac and as I understand it the system will work with this rather than just the van a/c. I am also installing a alternator as a backup.

Would really appreciate your experiences with the systems reliability. I will need to be away from the van for 8 plus hours so reliability is crucial.
Fremebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fremebe
Charlie

I wanted to get an update on the chilli dog system installed by Rob at sportsmobile.
Sorry, but I don't have that SMB rig anymore.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fremebe
Charlie

I wanted to get an update on the chilli dog system installed by Rob at sportsmobile.
Would really appreciate your experiences with the systems reliability. I will need to be away from the van for 8 plus hours so reliability is crucial.
I had one installed 10 years ago by Rob as part of the initial build.

When it works it's great. The problem is that when anyone works on the van they break remote start. The engine will turn over but not catch, therefore no heat/air conditioner.

I've tried to have Rob fix it a number of times but that hasn't worked out. I'll eventually have my local alarm guy take a shot at it but it's no longer a major thing anymore.

Now if it's heat you're worried about here is what I do:
-Park the van perpendicular to the wind
-open the louvered windows
-pop the top and unzip the openings so that air flows thru
-you should lower the day-night shades (but not block the louvered openings)
This has worked well and even to 115F during the 2007 SMB rally with my dog inside

If it's cold you're worried about, I have no suggestions

Lastly, if you get it, remember to daily repark you van so that the exhaust is downwind of the van so that you don't fill up the van with exhaust fumes.

David
Old 06-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #16

David

Many thanks for the info.

It is only heat I am worried about--when parked in LA while I am working. When parked in places like joshua tree and yosemite (where I will be the other times--I am a climber) I can always leave if I have concern over the heat.

Thanks for the info on the vans exhaust system. Had not considered that.

You mentioned the top up with the windows open. This brings up another question I have been thinking about--do you ever worry about break ins with the top up? I will be mostly in a RV park or a campsite. My thoughts are that break ins are not a concern in those places and having the cross ventilation with the windows open should provide quite a lot of cool air.

Where you happy with Rob's work--was his inability to fix it due to a problem with the original system and/or the issue when someone else worked on it.

Once again appreciate the info. I am making the big plunge and moving into the van full time with my cat. Therefore I have to consider many situations I would not otherwise. Mostly it really comes down to my cat! For her safely I have screened in all the exists and removed the passenger seat to use as a front door. Sportsmobile is even making a special scratch-pole ladder for her to get up to the penthouse.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #17

Quick question for those who have the chilli dog

I also have the compustar alarm system installed by Rob at Sportsmobile west. I am getting the van worked on and know I am supposed to pull a fuse or switch by my shin on the drivers side. I have found a 25 amp fuse box in the control box to the left of the gas peddle. Anyone have this experience and know if this is the correct fuse to pull?