Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #1

Chilly Dog?

I'm looking for any info anyone may have on any "chilly dog" type set ups. I can't seem to find any info anywhere yet. I'm looking for something that will monitor interior temperatures of the van and start/stop the engine when it is sitting to keep interior under a max. temperature. I've seen plenty of remote start set ups but that is only part of the system. I'd actually like to install it in my wife's car as well just for suff like running into a store and leaving the dogs in the car. Must be something out there.

Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:01 PM   #2

Seth,

This site still list the original "Chilly Dog" for $29.00. I do not know if they actually have it in stock. It is the DEI 556T. It should hook up to most DEI remote starters. I purchased one of these on Ebay last year, but have not gotten around to installing it or purchasing the actual remote start. I do not believe that DEI actually makes these anymore, so the may not have any in stock. I hope this helps.

http://www.caraudio-caralarms.com/accessories.html

Greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:10 AM   #3

I have it. I have a write up somewhere. Try Chili Dog or Chilli Dog in the forum search (links above) with jage as author... at one point I moved the monitoring unit to the shelf above the fridge, there is a write-up for that too.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:37 AM   #4

Seth

I have the Compustar alarm system that includes a similar feature to the Chilly Dog. Rob (IA Solutions) installed a small thermostat on the bulkhead right behind the drivers seat. When set to the "cool" position, the van will automatically start and run for 15 minutes when the temp exceeds the setpoint on the stat. It doesn't control the A/C, but as long as you have the A/C manually set to blow, it will come on when the engine starts. After 15 minutes, if the temperature in the van hasn't come down to the set point it will cycle for another 15 minutes, and so on. With the thermostat set up, it will actually work on the heat side in a similar fashion. (Note that while the van is running in this mode, if you step on the brake without the key in the ignition, the engine will shut off.)

This option on the Compustar works very well. There is also another option that I have. The remote is a 2-way remote. It monitors (among other things) the air temperature inside the van and displays it on the remote. As long as you are within the range of the remote (specs say 6,000 ft, but I'm lucky to get 1,000 ft.), you can view the temperature and remote start the vehicle, if the A/C is manually turned on. Other than the range issue (Seems like everything including air particles interfere with the range) this pseudo Chilly Dog system works great.

I do have other problems with the alarm system however. The biggest complaint is that you can not put the remote in your pocket. It is so sensitive, and has so many key-code functions, that the jostling around in your pocket will say, start the van without you knowing it, or unlock it, or go into panic mode, or any of the other 20 different "features" the remote is capable of. To be fair, I could (if I remembered) to "lock-out" the buttons before putting it in my pocket, but I always forget or am too lazy to do this. I think it is just poorly designed in this respect.

http://www.compustar.com/main.htm
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:02 AM   #5

thanks Charlie I will look into this for sure. I'm mostly looking for my daily drivers first but may do the smb as well
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
Charlie does Rob stock that system and what does it cost to have installed (total price including the system)? Thanks
Dave B

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Charlie does Rob stock that system and what does it cost to have installed (total price including the system)? Thanks
Dave B
I assume he is a authorized dealer for Compustar and therefore stocks it. Give him a call 559-281-5500 or email at iasolutions@yahoo.com As for cost, looking back at a September '07 quote, the total alarm system package was listed as "remote start paging alarm with built in temp sensor to start van for cooling when out of range. $950." I added a few more gizmos after that. Upgraded the remote and added a "tap on the window" keyless entry system.

Had the dogs in the van today while shopping for tomorrows trip to Grand Canyon. The temp sensor system worked great.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon
"Tap on the window" keyless entry system? Whazzat?
Bill
Old 05-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #9

For an extra, they installed a sensor on the windshield. Think of it as a microphone. It responds to high pitched sounds such as the tapping of a key or pebble or even your knuckles on the windshield. You can program in a code (series of taps) that will lock or unlock the vehicle. I haven't used it yet but for $50 I said why not. Another use is that anyone tapping on the windshield will send a signal to the 2-way keyfob. Say your hiking partner returns to the van before you (with the key) does. They rap on the windshield, it sends an alert to the keyfob, and (if you are within range) you unlock the van for them.

Sometimes technology gets ahead of itself.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:47 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon
That's kinda neat! I'm not sure why, but neat never the less.