Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #1

Coach battery relocation outside

Has anybody relocated the coach battery outside between the frame and body? I see this unit to do it to a F250-350 and don't know if it works on an E-350. Also $200 for the unit seems a bit outrageous. However if it works...

http://www.torklift.com/products/hiddenpower.php

I have it under the gaucho now. I was not too impressed with the plastic box but when I pulled the vent hose it was completely disintegrated from the paneling to exit. Any gas was venting between the walls. I would feel much better with the battery outside. I could use the real estate. And because I have no grey water or propane there is room for two on each side if I wanted to add more coach batteries.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #2

Re: Coach battery relocation outside

Many have, search for frame mounted battery box.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #3

Outboard batteries are a factory setup. Some vans are already drilled for up to 3 batts per side, but you have to space the boxes out away from the P-brake cable on the driver side.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Outboard batteries are a factory setup. Some vans are already drilled for up to 3 batts per side, but you have to space the boxes out away from the P-brake cable on the driver side.
The proper search term helped a lot! There is much to read. I saw one with machined spacers, very cool.

I am not sure how many holes I already have on my gas 1996. I will look at Pic and Pull for a factory box and then go from there.

I loved the fabricated one.

I have not figured out if the stock one slides down like the fabricated one. Do you have to unbolt each time to service the battery on the factory box?
Old 08-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #5

Sorry, couldn't find and post this easily on my phone last night. This is a thread I started when I was about to build mine, and many people chimed in with pics and ideas. This should help

http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtop...p=86682#p86682

Old 08-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
This should help
Yes, very good. Did you ever build more for other things like the links levelers etc.?

Your thread has good pictures to take to someone if I want to have it fabricated.

I will start at Pic and Pull wrecking yard. It will give me a chance to look at other things. I see you like this sort of thing as well. I am looking for a step bumper and little things. Sometimes I just disassemble things to make sure when I do it for real on my vehicle I won't breaking things.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
but you have to space the boxes out away from the P-brake cable on the driver side.
Here is a thread about the spacers:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... highlight=
Old 08-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcnick
Quote:
This should help
Yes, very good. Did you ever build more for other things like the links levelers etc.?

Your thread has good pictures to take to someone if I want to have it fabricated.

I will start at Pic and Pull wrecking yard. It will give me a chance to look at other things. I see you like this sort of thing as well. I am looking for a step bumper and little things. Sometimes I just disassemble things to make sure when I do it for real on my vehicle I won't breaking things.
I wish I were that wise, and that patient! Yes, I made a holder for lynx levelers and small propane bottles.

http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtop...105018#p105018

That and the battery box are all so far, but plan to build a couple more of those basic frame mounted boxes for a water tank and whatever else I can stuff on the left side frame rail. It frees up a lot of space inside!

Old 08-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #9

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcnick
Quote:
This should help

My van had the factory passenger side battery box. It is made for a Group 65 battery. It does need to be unbolted but it is designed to swing down pretty easy and has cable to stop it from falling on the floor.

It will hold a Group 27 battery (barely), but would need to be lower to allow for the taller Group 27 on the passenger side. Which would reduce ground clearance.

If the van has factory rear AC, the hoses will be in the way of a battery on the driver side.

I did a lot of internet searching and could not find any other battery boxes. I think fabrication is the way to go.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally
I think fabrication is the way to go.
I am thinking so as well. Just spent the day at the junk yard and could not find a one. Good place for a step bumper or pop out rear windows, but no battery box.

Anybody know a web site where one can put in a part number it says all the vehicles it was used on?