Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
Oni

Cold Heat soldering iron

So I was at the local Pep Boys getting a wireless remote light relay so I wouldn't have to run wires through the firewall (I'm lazy)

They had the Coleman Cold Heat soldering iron on sale for $12. Figured what the hell and picked it up. It works on 4AA batteries. Took it to work and soldered a few wires together and it does indeed work. It has a small light that lights up the area you are working on too.

I also have a butane powered Weller that works better, but is considerably more expensive. A regular plug in soldering iron is easier to work with as well.

But for the price, it may be good for the tool kit in the SMB in case you have to do some electrical repairs on the road. Probably good for working under the dash too...I hate having a regular soldering iron with the power cord while laying on the floorboard working under the dash. I always seem to knock it over in the worst possible moment.

I have had to do some electrical repairs on the road and had to resort to gum wrappers and tin foil as a temporary fix. Doh.

Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #2

Re: Cold Heat soldering iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni
So I was at the local Pep Boys getting a wireless remote light relay so I wouldn't have to run wires through the firewall (I'm lazy)
They make such a thing? woa. I might have to grab one of those.

Sorry to hear about the accident with the solder iron.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
Oni

http://www.autobarn.net/plsw29.html

This is by the same company...I got a single channel one. On my FJ I used the wireless remote to trigger another relay for the lights instead of using the built in one.

On the Element I just used the built in one, but plan on using an external relay on that too so I can wire it so the lights will only go on if the parking lights are on, to prevent accidental switching and draining of the battery. I use the built in one to trigger an external relay if that makes sense...and the external one is wired so it only closes when the parking lights are on.

No accident with the soldering iron...but I sure scrambled in a hurry.
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote