Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2008, 05:14 PM   #1

Compressor Location?

Where does SMB mount your compressor when you order it from them?

We have the mobile Quickair 3 in the box. .so ours isn't mounted.

Also do they incorporate a tank? if so, what size and where do they mount that too?

thanks guys

2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
It may vary, but ours is mounted inside the frame just rear of the transmission. Ours is the extreme air and does incorporate an air tank.

(I think I am remembering the location correctly...)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #3

Ours is mounted in the same location. Fred (who designed the SMB 4WD system for SMB West) posted a comment a couple of years ago on the Yahoo list about adding a three-way valve between the compressor and the tank...Fred's argument was that for using air tools, the tank is worthwhile. But for airing up, you are trying to fill the tank and the tire at the same time. The valve allows you to take the tank out of the system and air up quicker. If there is interest in this modification, I'll provide more details...
Old 09-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
My compressor (extreme air) is in the same place, driver side close to the rear drive line behind the yoke. It sits sideways. The tank is located just behind the front passenger tire. I have wanted to do what Jack said (a gated split) and put another air fitting in an easier spot to plug in to. Right now it's off the tank and difficult to get to. I usually have to lay down to plug in but not to remove it.
Dave B

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:27 AM   #5

I had the same problem...needing to get down on the ground to plug in. Before adding the valve, I installed fittings on each side of the van under the door which was better but still not ideal. When I installed the valve, I also ran hose to the front and rear and added outlets in both locations. McMaster-Carr has panel-mounted quick-couplers and I installed one on the rear Reunel bumper (near the hitch where it is protected) and a pair on the front Reunel bumper up high. The latter have caps made from 35mm film canisters to keep dust out. I can actually reach all four tires from the rear quick coupler but having air available in the front is also nice.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr
Ours is mounted in the same location. Fred (who designed the SMB 4WD system for SMB West) posted a comment a couple of years ago on the Yahoo list about adding a three-way valve between the compressor and the tank...Fred's argument was that for using air tools, the tank is worthwhile. But for airing up, you are trying to fill the tank and the tire at the same time. The valve allows you to take the tank out of the system and air up quicker. If there is interest in this modification, I'll provide more details...
Jack, I would be interested in this mod. I have the setup without the three way valve and airing up tires is slow. I think this is a great idea. Can you explain more and post photos? Also could you post photos of the connectors on your bumpers?
thanks

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:24 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Where are the mounting spots for the standard outlet for compressors?

Ours was mounted below the passenger side door, and I can reach under and connect and disconnect blind.

I want to be a little cautious about adding additional plumbing and fixtures to our setup, the idea being that more blumbing and more fixtures could lead to more problem possibilities. We have a hose that will reach all four corners of the van plus extra.

As for the inclusion of a tank in the mix, yes, that means that the compressor will work on filling the tank, but it is no different than any other air-tool compressor, or any other water system pressure tank. The tank is in place to help keep the compressor from having to run continously to provide pressure, to reduce the total duty time for the compressor (or pump in the case of a water system).
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:32 AM   #8

On Jack's advice during my build I had SMB mount the connection point inside the front Aluminess Bumper rather than under the vehicle. It's protected, and easy to reach. It fits right next to the winch, and with a 25' hose I can reach all tires and blow off the back of the van.

charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #9

Here is my setup with the two-way valve (not a three-way as I stated before):

I removed the hose from the compressor and added a short nipple and then the valve (with the yellow handle on the top). The hose to the tank (with the black coiled covering) connects to one end of the valve and a T is fitted to the opposite end. A hose to the rear connects to one side of the T and a hose to the front is on the opposite end of the T.

The hose toward the front snakes into the frame member and out near the grill. Here is one of the the front quick couplers with a 35mm film canister to keep dirt out:

and here is the canister off (the lid stays on the line):

Here is the rear quick coupler:

Each of the quick couplers are installed using panel-mount pipe fittings.

While tanks on normal (i.e., shop) air compressors are obviously there to keep the compressor from running continuously, our compressors runs continually regardless of whether the tank is in the loop or not. If I put the tank in the loop and run the compressor until it shuts off, it will turn back on the second I start airing up and continue to run until I'm finished. So, it isn't helping in the case of airing up. It would be beneficial when using an air tool where a high PSI is needed for a very short time...