Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2016, 11:12 AM   #1

Cool little class D amp

I was looking at some smallish amps that would fit behind my Head Unit. Similar to what I think Otter put back there and ran into this guy:

50W rms x4 at 4ohm.

They also make a 300W monoblock version as well as some bluetooth recievers/controllers that make a head unit unnecessary.

I guess this is a new generation of Micro Class D amps. Kind of got me wondering about powering this from the house battery and having the ability to go bluetooth and shut down the head unit on the starter battery while parked. Although, I may just end up getting that nice little Alpine unit and running an auxiliary switched power line from the house battery to the HU and amp.

Just some fun stuff. Haven't looked at car audio in a while and this blew my mind a little bit, not that it's difficult to do that these days.

Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:02 PM   #2

Garage
Nice amp, Flux. I love the way they hide away behind the head unit. And I've found 45-50 x4 to be plenty sufficient. Though I like to play loud-ish, I don't need to blow the roof off.

Can't remember if you have 2 more speakers in the back like mine (6 total) but what we did was to power the rear door speakers off the head unit and the other four off the amp. I really like the full surround I get from that and the power seems just fine for those stock speakers.

I want to switch power over to a house battery too and am looking for guidance from step 1. Meaning, I don't have a house battery yet! More often than not, I'm listening to the stereo while stopped and I hate worrying about the primary battery drain. So, first I need to find somebody to weld a house battery platform somewhere and then redo the wiring. Advice, links, VERY welcome.

Have fun with this, as all of it!
Old 12-16-2016, 01:31 PM   #3

I did the van battery-house battery connection old school basic......

I have a SPDT contura switch installed below the radio. The Radio ignition switched power to the head unit is connected to the center terminal of the switch and power from each battery bank is connected to each end terminal of the switch.

Switch in one position is normal van style on starting battery...radio stays on until you open a door or the time delay expires.....switch in the other position connects head unit power to house batteries and radio stays on forever.

I love the class D amp idea......anybody make a reasonably priced 6 channel with decent specs and a built in crossover?....need to research.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:48 PM   #4

Yeah, how Boywonder did it. Something really simple like that so you have the house battery option.

I have the 4 speaker setup in my rig. Might add a sub, but nothing major, just a little bass box.

I was thinking about a little bluetooth all in one for use when chillin under the awning. Now I am thinking of putting speakers inside the barn doors and putting one of these little guys some place so as to have some outdoor tunes. There must be a few more aftermarket Bluetooth receivers out there. I like the price and lesser amperage of the little alpine unit.

What a great world we live in. 200 watt amps the size of a deck of cards that you can pipe music into without wires.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:18 PM   #5

I just have the (cheap class-d) amps and (mini)dsp (c4x8) on the house battery. The head unit, with built in amps turned off, are on the starting battery. Draw on the starting battery is minimal and things work roughly how I want them to.

Boywonder: That's an even better approach. I might copy that for my head unit.

If you can stomach a couple hundred, I really like the results I got with the minidsp, and the cheap class d amps (one step up from the one in the top post: polk and precision power, they are all the same boards, different level power of supply components available in various channel numbers and configs, I don't love their built in processing).

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:15 PM   #6

Are Soundstream and Precision Power the same company?? Both their little class D's have the same wording. Soundstream has one with build in BT and a slightly different form factor.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:02 AM   #7

Soundstream and precision power are old, defunct brand names that were bought up and re-used more recently. I don't know if they are the same company, but they are currently marketing variations of the same amp boards with slightly different sizes and specs.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
Soundstream and precision power are old, defunct brand names that were bought up and re-used more recently.
...Like many brands, the old stuff was somewhat high end and the resurrected stuff is Chinese....although many Chinese products these days are good quality.....

Same with MBQuart and Nakamichi.....and many others.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is online now   Reply With Quote