Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2017, 07:14 PM   #1

cut wires cant find fuse!

Very recently purchased a 1986 chevy c20 that was converted by smb in 86. I have been making modifications and I just cut a hole in the roof to install a fan. I didnt realize it but I had cut through the wires for all the lights, a dc socket, and a 12volt fan. It seems the 2 wires I cut (they are a pair, not 2 seperate pairs) have a fuse or something that tripped. I rewired them together but they are no longer hot. I cannot find this fuse or w.e. for the life of me! I tried to trace the wires but its proving rather difficult and I have looked everywhere. Does anyone know where this fuse might be?!?!

jakespies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:31 PM   #2

Call Sportsmobile and ask if they can tell you how they might've done things in 1986. There are employees at each of the 3 locations that have been there that long.

Nancy at SMB North in Indiana has been there since the dawn of the pop top I think.
Paul? I think, at the Texas location has as well.
Not sure about West unless you could get the owners.

But......On all newer SMBs there is a fuse panel in a cabinet, under couch, or somewhere in the 'house' cabinetry for all the house circuits.

I've done what you did and worse. It'll buff out.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:04 AM   #3
rnj

On my '95 under my dash on drivers side I have a bunch of wires, a terminal block, 4 fuses - 5A & 3 20A, and looks like maybe 3 relays. I don't know what these are related to but is a location on my van where I have fuses that look to be added by SMB.
Hankook Dynapro ATs 225/75-16 LRE
New to me 10/2008 - 2nd owner
rnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #4

Garage
Can you see where the wires come out of the poptop headliner and run down to the van's body? On my van, they come down in the front left corner and the fuse is located in that corner, under the fabric that trims the opening out. I never would have known that fuse was even there if I hadn't had to remove the fabric for some other reason. You might check there if you can easily remove that fabric.

capn
capnkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkurt View Post
Can you see where the wires come out of the poptop headliner and run down to the van's body? On my van, they come down in the front left corner and the fuse is located in that corner, under the fabric that trims the opening out. I never would have known that fuse was even there if I hadn't had to remove the fabric for some other reason. You might check there if you can easily remove that fabric.

capn
You're right! I've seen in-line fuses there. I bet that's it. I forgot about those.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote