Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2019, 02:40 PM   #1

Garage
Dometic CFX Decision

Due to a screaming deal I don’t want to get away, I need to make a decision rather quickly between these two fridges: Dometic CFX 65W and the Dometic CFX DZ(dual zone).

They’re exactly the same fridge except that the dual zone separates out freezer space from fridge space. I like that idea. But here’s my sticking point:

The 65W averages 0.85ah per hour of use. The 65DZ averages 1.90ah per hour of use (since the compressor goes on and off, this is the comparison under static conditions).

Question: Should I be concerned over a difference of an amp-hour? I know this is all relative to my system (which I’m building). But let’s just say I’m going to have between a 100-200AH Battery. Solar will be involved at some point, alternator charging at first. If I run the fridge 24 hours a day, I should be averaging using 24 amp hours more a day with the DZ. Is this a concern? I’m trying to weigh my desire for freezer AND fridge versus more draw.

What say you house battery people?

Old 06-25-2019, 05:18 PM   #2

Garage
I would concentrate more on the function of the fridge you're contemplating than the AMP/HR draw since what you've listed both are already very respectable.
IMO, cant ever get enough refrigeration space - and consider do you really need the freezer function? If most of your trips are 10 days or less, I would stick with the added refer space. If you find (on occasion) the need to have freezer space, just keep a good cooler on board and use dry ice.

EDIT: Keep in mind (if you're not already aware) that any AGM battery will only net you half the amp/hr listed...not good for the battery to pull it down more than 50% so I'd suggest the largest battery you able to obtain.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Due to a screaming deal I don’t want to get away, I need to make a decision rather quickly between these two fridges: Dometic CFX 65W and the Dometic CFX DZ(dual zone).
Is this an exclusive deal or can you post a link? I’ve been looking closely at the Dometics. Would love a screaming deal on one.
SteelheadJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:57 PM   #4

Just picked up a CFX50. Not a screaming deal but it is the best one I could find online.

https://www.campingworld.com/dometic...fault&start=14

20% off plus another 15% with promo code SUMMER15. Total was 831.54 Shipped.

Order is still processing but if there is a better deal out there I'm happy to cancel this one.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:12 PM   #5

Garage
With regard to the deal, it’s an open one at Camping World. Their “SUMMER 15” code gives you 15% off their already lower prices on these Dometics. So, I originally ordered the 65W but it’s on backorder. I can get the 65DX sooner for about $815. I don’t see that price anywhere else.

As to my original concern, I still need some input regarding the extra amp-hour per hour on the dual zone. The only reason I would go with the dual zone is to be able to actually have real ice and frozen stuff along with the fridge capability. So, Twoxentrix, that’s where I’m headed. It sounds like 1ah/hour isn’t a significant consideration. If not, then the dual zone is a better deal. The zone separator can always be removed to make one big refrigerator zone. Sounds like I talked myself into it... unless anybody has more input on 1.o ah/hr vs 0.85ah/hr?

These fridges are great. Incredibly efficient and mobile, which really appeals to me and fits my build. I don’t have to have the fridge just here... I can have it there, or in another rig, or home, or... you get the idea.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:16 PM   #6

Otter, that looks to be the best deal around now. I was looking at the 75 just because of the huge savings and DZ but it's a bit too big for our RB van. I figure that if I'm going anywhere hot the beverages can stay cold enough in the fridge that I won't need ice. I suppose it be nice to carry ice cream and such but I doubt it would last very long before we needed to go to a store to buy some more! Kinda making me think I shoulda got the 65DZ now, it was only $50 more, oh well.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:28 PM   #7

Garage
LOL, Cyrull, I’d love to have ice cream but was actually just thinking about our cocktails! We do like a bunch of ice cubes and I got to thinking maybe I should consider that capability. Amazing that we even have the luxury to consider that, eh?

But, ya, that Camping World set of prices can’t be beat right now.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:43 PM   #8

I was reading some reviews and for the non dual zones the bottom tends to freeze in CFX50. Makes me think it's kind of like a poor man's dual zone. When I get mine I'm going to try to put an ice cube tray at the bottom and crank it to its lowest temperature. Who knows maybe I can still make some ice! I love ice, its probably my most under rated luxury.

One thing to note about Camping World is that the processing time isn't too fast. My estimated delivery is sometime first week of July and I put my order in on Friday.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:57 PM   #9

Garage
Yeah on the processing time. I ordered my 65W 10 days ago with a 5-7day shipping time. Then today I got notice that it wouldn’t be delivered till end of July! I raised hell at Customer Service and in the process, found out I could get the 65Dz in ten days (because it’s in stock) and for less $$. I think I’m gonna go with it. We do like our ice! I was trying to be all minimalist on the amp hours but I guess 1.0 more ain’t so bad.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:16 AM   #10

Our refrig has a 0.7cf freezer and a 2.5cf refrig section. We do use the freezer all the time. We camp for 5-10 days and keep meat frozen in the freezer until it is needed. Wife would not be happy with refrig only.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote