Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #1

Dot-it LEDs

I don't see that these have been mentioned before (link below). They are the best thing I've run across yet. They are small puck lights with 3 LEDs. About 25% larger than an old fashioned silver dollar. They are either stick on or magnetic. The standard has 3 LEDs. I left one on as a test and it ran for a solid week (24/7).

The dragon has a motion sensor under it and a magnetic base. You just waive your hand under it and it comes on, dims, and turns off. Also turns off after an hour.

They run on 3 AAA batteries. It would take me a lot of weekend trips to use a solid week of light.

In addition to the standard, they have swivel spots and a waterproof version.

I can't recommend more highly.

I may bypass a large panel solar system in favor of a handheld solar battery charger. My main battery needs are the fan and lighting. With propane, these lights, and an O2cool fan (2 days per set of batteries), I don't need the $1000 setup. I can just recharge the AAAs and Ds on the dashboard.

Tom

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProduct ... DOT-it.htm

bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:07 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Dot-it LEDs

Tom I also have a set of those light and they do work well for my needs but a solar system also does help in other ways. Not saying it is a must have option but a solar pre-wire might be a good idea if you decide to change your mind. For the most part, AGM batteries live longer if they are kept topped off. Light loads can destroy a 500 dollar 4D battery if its allowed to cycle too low and often. The nice thing about solar is it floats the battery above what an alternator can. Enough wattage can keep the refrigerator running 24-7 as well as keeping the house and starting batteries up. I know there are a lot of people that have no solar but you might want to price the pre-wire and leave it open as an option. Just my 2 cents worth.
Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:51 AM   #3

I have something very similar by a different maker. It has 4 LEDs. Press once and it is full power, press again and it is dimmer. It also swivels.

I mounted it right under my CB in the headliner. It is so much better than those 2 map lights that came in the van.

I like the one on the link you provided that is motion activated. may put one on the barn door or outside if I have to get up in the middle of the night. Could scare off 2 legged predators too.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #4

Got a link to the ones you put by your CB Steve? I sure could use better lites for the occasional map read up front.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #5

Scatter ,
We have the part # 36184 under Cabinet LED lights , after much trial and error from
Camping World . They are very very useful for tired eye's . I opted for these as they are removable and useful for other tasks in and around the SportsMobile and campsite . They can be mounted with screws or Velcro . I am able to read the fine print on Topo maps with standard 1.25 reading glasses in pitch darkness and they are unobtrusive to the driver when my Bride feels the need to read . The light has two stages of brightness and an adjustable beam . And they have stayed in place with the simple screw mounted backing plates provided on some nasty trails . If you like I will take photograph's for you tomorrow .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #6

Greggle - would love photos, photos are good things. Worth a thousand words some say....
Sounds like yours are just what I need. Don't need reading glasses yet, but the old eyeballs need a bit more light then in the olden days.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #7

Scatter ,
Photos are now in my Album for you , and I really do not need Reading Glasses either ! Just Longer Arms
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote