Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #1

Edge Insight CTS with EGT, Turbo Timer and Backup Camera

I was unsatisfied with my Scanguage II and remember the Edge product the Badgers used was not compatible with the 2010 E350. They have come out with some new products which may interest the forum. The system I installed is detailed below. Edge has not tested any of their products on the E-series, nor was I interested in ‘chipping’ my van since Ford looks at any excuse to dishonor their warranty.

Edge Insight CTS with the following parts (market price is 20% less than list):

83830 $448.88 Insight CTS (Fits 1996 and Newer OBDII-Enabled Vehicles)

98603 $145.13 EAS Expandable EGT with Starter Kit for CS and CTS

98201 $280.13 Edge Back-Up Camera for CTS

98604 $167.63 EAS Universal Turbo Timer for CS and CTS

I find the touch screen user friendly and customizable. Of interest is the turbo-timer. Now I can set the engine to shut off when the Exhaust Gas Temperature reaches a specific temperature. The van while idling is not drivable allowing you to safely leave the van during this time.

Additional Installation items:

Metallic duct tape
Plastic electrical conduit - 36 feet.
Yard Stick
RTV silicone sealant
Plastic Zip Ties.
Small telescoping magnet.
Collection of metal cutting drill bits

The installation is strait forward. The new design has a starter kit that is expandable. I had to run only two wires through the firewall. The second wire will be the video/power cable for the backup camera. This is very simple to do. Unbolt the engine coolant expanding chamber and move out of the way, leaving the hoses connected. Behind that you will see a rubber diaphragm with wire conduit running into it. Use a utility knife to place a 1 cm incision, run the starter kit wire through which will fall behind the gas pedal. For the back up camera wire I had to reach behind the gas pedal, up under the dashboard following the starter kit wire to grasp where it was coiling. Reseal the slit with black RTV sealant. Where you end up wiring the CTS is user dependent. Reseal the slit with black RTV sealant. Note, I bought a metal bracket; spray painted it black and used industrial Velcro to fix it to the dash board and the unit to the bracket. They do have a mounting system for the insight for the F-350 but the dash looks different for the E-2010. If this system works for the E-series, I would be interested in knowing about it.

EGT installation:Required Tools
- Drill
- 1/8” drill bit or similar size
(for pilot hole)
- 21/64” (best size) or 5/16”
drill bit
- 9/16” wrench or socket
- 5/8” open end wrench
- 1/8”-27 NPT Thread Tap
- Phillips screwdriver
- 5/16” or 8mm wrench

Determine EGT probe placement, oil the drill bit, place 1/8” starter hole drill with low revolutions and low pressure to help prevent metal shavings going into the exhaust manifold. Use 21/64 bit and repeat process, keeping the bit oiled. Then use the telescoping magnet to remove any shavings. Tap hole with clockwise 1 rotation and counter clockwise .5 rotations or alike to tap the hole. Tap until the tap teeth come flush with the surface of the pipe. Use high thermal lock tight and bolt the mount flush with the pipe. Place the temp probe and tighten not using lock tight. I ran the wire from the driver side exhaust manifold to the hood using a yard stick. I fixed the wire to the frame down low to prevent it from touching anything hot. You will notice a small hole at the edge of the floor next to where the dog house rests. That is where I placed the zip tie.

Universal Turbo Timer Installation:

Look up under Roadside Emergencies in the E350 user manual for fuse codes. Note the fuse box under the hood is oriented such that with the top of the chart is the front of the van. So I just turn it upside down to get the correct orientation.

Yellow VBAT has to be a continuous 12V supply while the Red Key A wire is powered only with the key ignition on or engine running position. For the E350 2010:

Yellow VBAT to Fuse #29 10A ‘AC clutch' with positive toward the front of the van. OR you can use #46 10A 'PCM Keep alive power, Canister vent, PCM relay coil.' with positive toward the front of the van
Red Key A to Fuse #55 10A 'PCM (diesel engine only)' with positive toward the front of the van.
Red Key B unnecessary.

Wrap wiring in conduit. When wired correctly, the engine will run after you remove the key from the ignition. The CTS monitor will turn red with a number in the center, either giving a time countdown to shut off or EGT temperature. The timer can be set either way.

Reverse Camera Installation:

This is a neat device since it has infrared night vision up to 30’ and 120 degree camera angle; thus having a trailer bike rack does not obstruct too much. Those with Aluminess bumper, I would just use the existing upper two holes. I drilled the lower two holes and wished I did not given the floor of the bumper compartment interferes with the bolting somewhat. A third hole has to be drilled for the camera wire. I placed the 25’ of wire in plastic conduit before starting and used the metallic duct tape to fix it along the top side of the inner compartment exiting to the existing hole on the driver side.

The engine compartment is densely packed. To work around this, I opened the hood and from below looked for any daylight. I found some running at a 60 degree angle to the front of the fan and ran my yard stick up that sliver of an opening, zip tied the camera wire in such a way not to get caught on anything and ran it up to the engine compartment. 25’ was just enough to run it 2’ into the cabin. I have the extended bed.

Power must come from a keyed on or engine run only fuse, otherwise this will drain your battery. I used Fuse #35 10A ‘Reverse park aid, Rear video camera, Cutaway run/start’ under the dashboard. I then drilled a hole to run the fuse out of the box. Camera needs to be adjusted to the distance marks by placing an object .5 meters from the camera. You can reverse the camera image by pressing a button on the wiring. I have it set up so left is van left, facing rear. Some people may prefer a ‘mirror’ or forward facing image.

CTS screen monitors up to 8 parameters and alarm can be set for the entire series. The screen will kick over to the alarm monitor when something is triggered.

Current options for alarms: Accelerator pedal position D, E, F, Barometric pressure, battery voltage, corrected speed, engine coolant temperature, exhaust gas temperature, engine load, RPM, engine run time, fuel economy, intake air manifold temperature, manifold absolute pressure, mass airflow, vehicle speed.

The two glitches for my 2010 model year that I am working on:

1. I do not get Engine Oil temperature or Transmission Fluid Temperature. This is a 2010 year issue. I or maybe someone else will post a solution. I am unsure if this is a firmware issue and the solution would be to remove a plug from a port in the tranny and install the temp sensor.

2. The reverse camera does not activate when the van is in reverse. This does not happen for all manufacturers. This could be an E-Series issue or 2010 issue. My temporary solution is having the reverse camera activate on startup and once backed out I touch the screen to resume monitoring.

Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #2

Re: Edge Insight CTS with EGT, Turbo Timer and Backup Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketcham
2. The reverse camera does not activate when the van is in reverse. This does not happen for all manufacturers. This could be an E-Series issue or 2010 issue. My temporary solution is having the reverse camera activate on startup and once backed out I touch the screen to resume monitoring.
Could it be an SMB reverse light override issue? Does it sense through the OBDII port or have a wire? Nice that you can override regardless- I had to install a switch to fake mine.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Whatcha oil temp, EGT and water temp running?

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #4

I senses reverse through the OBDII. The EGT I have seen is 700's. 900 on a steep hill. I have not taking it over any mountain passes since the installation. ECT was 190 range but did not pay that close attention to it. EOT...I am working with Edge on getting that.

I said the following :

I am unable to get Transmission Fluid Temperature and Engine Oil Temperature. I know with the Scanguage II I have to specify PWM on the unit to get those codes to read, it will not do so on CAN. I was able to figure that out previously when using various diesel websites.

My goal is to get EOT and TFT. What I do get are: Accelerator pedal position D, E, F, Barometric pressure, battery voltage, corrected speed, engine coolant temperature, exhaust gas temperature, engine load, RPM, engine run time, fuel economy, intake air manifold temperature, manifold absolute pressure, mass airflow, vehicle speed.

Being an automatic transmission I would like to monitor TFT and also compare ECT to EOT.

They said...

We already monitor TFT on the Ford 6.0 and 6.4 engines. Both of these truck operate on a communication bus called CAN, not PWM. I have a different Firmware that I want you to try. I have set the Fusion software to send these files. It may add the EAT and TFT to the PID's that it monitors. Please try the update and let me know what happens.

It didnt work. Good news is that the make mods and you connect your unit to your computer and use the Fusion software to get the updates directly from them. It is an ongoing process. However, if resolved the firmware will apply to everyone.

I will post a solution when found.

I welcome any suggestions...
Old 04-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #5

I spoke with customer support regarding the CTS. Edge does not support E350 codes and feel their resources will not be directed to such a limited market. They may reconsider it if a market exists. They said I could place a temperature sensor separately to tie into the system. This would require a physical tap at the various sites.

Has anyone placed an individual temperature transmission sensor or oil sensor? Were you able to tie into an existing port? I will look into aftermarket sensors such as an oil plug with temperature sensor or if there a way to tie into transmission filtration system/tubing from the dieselsite.com.

Edge does offer a temperature probe Part #98608 that has a bolt: 1/8" NPT, which they do use to tie into the transmission and oil pan drain plug of a dodge without any drilling or taping. Not sure if this is universal.

It was a fun project but turning out to be more a pain in the arse because I desired both EOT and TFT from my Scanguage.

In hindsight, those who want Exaust Gas Temperature, just buy an individual guage.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

If you get one of the aluminum, deep transmission pans, they sometimes have a 1/8 npt port already there.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #7

Does that 1/8" NPT port exhist elsewhere on the 5r110 transmission?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #8

Great info on that unit, I was looking at one but they never got back to me on some questions I had, so I gave up.
On the trans temp, there is a fitting you can use on the drivers side, not sure on the size though, but it's the same as the F350, bunch of kit's out there, and you can use any temp sensor with the Edge Insight CTS it doesn't have to be theirs.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #9

Do you access the port through the dog house or under the van? If under the van you take a picture, since I have no idea where to find it? I will just place a probe.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:53 AM   #10

Under the van, drivers side. It's called a "test port or pressure port".

I found this online, not my pic.

More info here
http://www.dieselmanor.com/diy/PSD3-gauge/image13.htm
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote