Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2008, 08:23 AM   #1

Electrical Glitch

Has any one had problems with the operation of the
1 Turn Signals
2 Heater/Air Fan Switch
3 Anti Lock Brake Light staying on
I moved the loom around slightly when I noted these items were not functioning and it cured the problem for a short time , all fuse's have been tested and replaced under the Dash only . Everything was working fine on the way down to Deaver's shop I turned the van off to crawl around with Jeff for Spring measurements and when we were done and I left his shop the above three item's no longer functioned ! I tried another Ford dealership on the way home and they said without checking anything whatsoever that it was probably something to do with the conversion to which I replied that NOTHING WAS ALTERED BY SPORTMOBILE IN THE WIRING LOOM INTHAT AREA . Peter absolutely validated that statement and said that he had never heard of the problem before . Any idea's Boy's and Girl's ?????????

Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:39 AM   #2

Check the Owner's Manual to see if these devices might be served by the same fuse. You might have a fuse which have an intermittent problem or the wiring connecting to the fuse box for these devices might have an intermittent problem. A good Ford dealer should be able to track it down regardless. If it turns out to be a non-Ford issue, then you won't be covered by the warranty. But the dealer won't know that until they get in and check things out.

Find a different dealer.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:33 AM   #3

Owners manual

Apparently they are all on separate circuits with individual fusing according to Econoline manual for this 2007 Van .
Old 04-05-2008, 08:47 PM   #4

Try a different dealer.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:56 PM   #5

Dealer

Three dealer's down , tomorrow the world !
Jage ,
On another note the forum should appeal to Yellafella about the Mounting of his Hi Lift Jack on the front bumper of his Sportmobile . He might be able to save the R&D that some members were fretting about .
Greggde
Old 04-05-2008, 10:31 PM   #6

Well since you are the forum, go right ahead and appeal!

Or better yet just buy it (I heard it's on SMB PO) and reverse engineer the mount yourself.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #7

All the circuits are separate, all the grounds are separate. That means it is probably wires worn in the middle of the harness and intermittently making contact.

Since you already know that moving the harness will, at least temporarily, eliminate the problem you have a good start. Try to localize where in the harness you have to move it to make the problem come and go. Probably near a bend, a splice, a sharp metal corner or a fastener entering the harness. If you can ever localize it, then you will have to open the harness and look for cut or worn insulation on adjacent wires and then insulate them and try to eliminate the original cause - whatever it may be.

Intermittent problems are very tough to isolate. Could take many, many hours with no results - Ford won't pay for that and most dealerships would be very, very reluctant to take that on unless you are regular customer (new car every year - like my dad) when they have fixable problems waiting for techs to repair.

Until the problem comes and stays it will be hard to get a dealership to look at it. Either you have to wait until it is never going away or you will have work on it yourself. And if you have a dealer work on it, be prepared for a big bill. They may find a screw entered the harness or the harness was moved from the original location (SMB or some non-Ford tech who changed the air filter or??) and blame that. Then they expect you to pay for it and will let you deal with SMB and see if they will take credit (blame) or if you are just stuck.

Good luck. Maybe you can find the problem and fix it yourself.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #8

Wiring

Mike,
Thank you, all of what you said is appreciated advice and known to be true as I have worked with dealerships thru the years , most people do not realize that dealerships survive on the success of their Part's and Service departments and not the sale of the actual vehicle's .
Thank you again Mike
Greggde
Old 04-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #9

Quote:
...most people do not realize that dealerships survive on the success of their Part's and Service departments and not the sale of the actual vehicle's .
Amen!
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote