Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2015, 03:59 PM   #11
Bee

Re: Electrical Wiring Kit and All!

Anybody buy all the major components ie battery, isolator, converter, Chargers and whatnot and do the pre wiring and then take it to a shop to have the technical pieces put together? Any experience at all taking it to a shop for the electrical set up? Costs, issues, peace of mind stories?

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:44 PM   #12

I would work with the shop that you are going to have all the technical pieces put together. Some may be happy with your wiring job and component choice , some might not be. It would be best to get that all squared away, for both you and them.

greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
I personally have close to $2K in tools and supplies that allow me to build and/or reconfigure the most common Ford and aftermarket terminals and connector shells or housings. Your project as put forward requires such tools and parts in order to create the wiring harness or harnesses needed.
I want shore power inlet and solar (which I can add panels later). I'm powering a future fridge, future microwave, lighting and whatnot, and some basic electrical outlets for today's modern technology needs (iPad, charging devices, stereo, tiny electric heater).

None of the above stated needs should require special tools or supplies. The only connection to the van's wiring will most likely be from the alternator to the batteries, and perhaps a couple lights. It's mostly 110V, with some 12v mixed in, and it looks pretty simple. Blue-seas offers everything needed, including pre-wired 12v and 120v breaker panels if you decide to go that way. There is no magic needed to wire this stuff, just a basic understanding of electrical safety and wiring methods. Should you decide to do it your self, here a couple books that will help you understand how to design and install your system.
For the 12v side:
http://www.amazon.com/Living-Volts-With ... 945415052;

For the 120v side
http://www.amazon.com/Structured-Wiring ... or+dummies

I say go for it, you will get plenty of help here....................
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #14

Right now you're at an advantage being that you're working with an empty cargo van. I would first try to figure out where you are going to mount the house battery(ies), whether it will be on the frame rails or inside. Then decide where your fuse box, invertor, and convertor will go. Once you have an idea of where you want to place all those things, its really just a matter of running some 18 gauge wire from the fuse panel to the desired areas. Even if you pre-run everything, you will most likely have to take apart the interior panels to cut holes and such to install the plugs and outlets.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:58 AM   #15
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller

None of the above stated needs should require special tools or supplies.

I say go for it, you will get plenty of help here....................
Within your scope of your described connections etc perhaps that's very true---no disagreement from me there. My point however was Bee's question as I understood it was a bit open ended, suggesting there would were/are needs that won't be off-the-shelf situations.

More power--no pun intended ---if any of this can be built and installed without any specialized or custom work---helps the budget for sure.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #16
Site Team

Garage

I know one friggin thing I'd do if I did my own work and that would be to plan for trouble down the road. I'd want access to pull in a new circuit through tubing or conduit if necessary w/o having to remove any of the conversion. My backup lights are out and I'm told the circuit runs in the wall. Like I'm gonna get that out easily. It might pull in and out but there is no way I'm pulling cabinets and walls out to repair it. I'll just have to re-route the wire harness to the frame.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:46 AM   #17

Dave, you are SO right on. It is nuts how these things are typically designed for "delivery" only, with little to no thought about repair down or on the road. I have sen this in boats I have sailed on extended passages and it is mind blowing to have to repair a critical system in the middle of the ocean, a repair that requires pulling out all kinds of stuff. It is especially frustrating when just a little forethought at build would have allowed the system to be easily serviced, or an access door /panel provided.

I believe 90% of the designers and engineers of boats and these type of rigs NEVER have used them on an ectended basis. They just do not think the way a true user does.

I hope you can figure out a work around
Old 03-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
My backup lights are out and I'm told the circuit runs in the wall. Like I'm gonna get that out easily. It might pull in and out but there is no way I'm pulling cabinets and walls out to repair it. I'll just have to re-route the wire harness to the frame.
Off topic a bit: The stock wiring runs down the driver's side ceiling/wall joint. and they all run up the B pillar right behind the driver's seat.. And that's easy to access, just pop off the stock ford plastic. I would start there and see if the wiring is screwed up before or after that point.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #19
Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
My backup lights are out and I'm told the circuit runs in the wall. Like I'm gonna get that out easily. It might pull in and out but there is no way I'm pulling cabinets and walls out to repair it. I'll just have to re-route the wire harness to the frame.
Off topic a bit: The stock wiring runs down the driver's side ceiling/wall joint. and they all run up the B pillar right behind the driver's seat.. And that's easy to access, just pop off the stock ford plastic. I would start there and see if the wiring is screwed up before or after that point.
I have 3 harnesses there at the b pillar and I know one is for a power point (d/c socket outlet). Do you know what the other 2 are for?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee

I have 3 harnesses there at the b pillar and I know one is for a power point (d/c socket outlet). Do you know what the other 2 are for?
Sorry, not a clue. One goes all the way to ceiling and all the way back, and handles all lighting in the rear. That's the only one I've dealt with - initially when it was melting and burning down BajaSportsmobiles van on the beach in Baja.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote