Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2015, 10:12 PM   #1

Engine Batteries Draining, Current leak? Possible Solution!!

My rig & situation:

2008 E350 w/6.0 litre ~95k miles, mostly stock;
Sportsmobile Penthouse (electric actuators) installed Summer 2014, wired to starting batteries along with lights;
Rig has only starting batteries - no house batteries;
Starting issues last winter, so I replaced (original Motorcraft) batteries with Costco/Interstate Group 65 last June;
Used weekly for most of summer, no issues until late August, batteries ran down while parked for a week - van completely dead. Put charger on trickle (2Amp) for a couple days, used for a long weekend camping, did fine over the weekend, 5 days later batteries dead, won't hold a charge anymore.
Removed batteries (what a pain!), checked with VOM - 10.4 volts - not good. Returned to Costco (gotta love Costco!) for free replacements. Came home, installed and re-connected batteries (what a pain!).

Saved ground cable to frame connection for last - started to connect and sparks surprised me - left unconnected;
Not good - scratch head, get Voltmeter, find 12 Volts between frame and ground cable, where it shouldn't be if I remember my basic electrical concepts.

No lights on in van, nothing electrical works, not certain where to start troubleshooting, come to Sportsmobile Forum for the vast knowledge and great experience here.
Currently searching this forum section and perusing FAQ's - no luck yet after several hours.

So, I'm throwing it out there for any help getting started searching and isolating short or current leak.

Fairly comfortable with basic elecrtical, but I'm really stumped now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Phil

SMB West motorized penthouse
Underfloor Aluminum storage box from northleftcoast
Aluminess Bumper-Mount Spare Tire Rack

Passenger & Driver swivel seat bases
Kenwood DNX572BH Navigation/DVD/CD Receiver
SilverForkPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Engine Batteries Draining, Current leak? Help Troublesho

You should start with what is the easiest first. Make sure everything is actually off. The radio switch is often left on & there are some items that do stay active on a continuous basis like the detectors and radio presets but it sounds like you're seeing a large spark? It would help if you could do an amp check to see what the draw actually adds up to.

Do an inspection of all the cables to see if anything is rubbed causing a slightly shorted leak. From there I'd start pulling the main supply cables off one at a time to see if the draw goes away. For example, SMB usually routes a cable to a 12v fuse panel that feeds most of the cabin conversion. Most have a breaker you can open or just remove the lead. After each supply is disconnected, see if the draw disappears. Once you've located the draw to a specific area you can pull fuses and test. The problem with a SMB is all the hidden fuses which can be a nightmare to deal with. Don't discount something like the alternator, that has happened to me years ago granted it was much easier to get to it and disconnect it.

Sorry to hear you're having issues...good luck, hopefully somebody else can jump in with an easier way to troubleshoot it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:58 PM   #3

If what daveb mentioned all checks out, consider looking for rodent damage as well. They are known to gnaw on wire insulation, among other things.

The other day I moved the van after it had sat for a couple weeks. Got out, came around the passenger side, and there was a freshly dead mouse on the ground. Think it got taken out by the radiator fan.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:28 AM   #4

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Get an Amp Meter and figure out what the amp draw is with "everything off".

Then disconnect the second battery and see if the amp draw drops, indicating the second battery is pulling from the first.

Next, start pulling fuses, one at a time to see which circuits have draw to help isolate the problem.

Before all that, make sure the vanity mirrors are really off when in the position you store the van at. You may have to "get in the refrigerator" to do that as it can be hard to tell during the day when the mirror cover is closed. Also check lights in the Penthouse top that can be hidden from view when the top is down.

I doubt the problem would be any kind of short or bared wire as even the smallest short is a direct short and will blow a fuse or burn up a wire.

It has to be something with a slight load on it that is drawing current.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:51 PM   #5

Well, I'm back after a couple days of troubleshooting. Thanks for the help so far.

I don't have a "true SMB" build - just the penthouse and associated lighting, so there's only oine fuse/circuit associated with that.

What I ended up doing was a combination of suggestions here and a couple things I found on YouTube.
After making certain it wasn't the batteries (even though they are both brand new), separating the batteries, buying an AmpMeter and checking the draw from each battery, I'm seeing a draw of 1.7+/- amps - WAY too much for just a parasitic draw, but not enough to trip a fuse (good call, Ramsey!).
I kept the meter hooked up and started pulling fuses one at a time, until the current dropped.
Ended up being fuse 22 (60 amp) in the Battery Junction Box (under the hood - passenger side).

After studying the wiring diagrams, that fuse protects several circuits. I left that fuse in and started pulling the rest of the under-hood fuses, and those under the steering wheel. No other fuse registered any current drop ?!? wtf?
It got to be dark and I had to shut it down for the night, still perplexed, but less so than earlier.

I'm still looking for a little guidance and help in tracing the various circuits.

I'll post the pertinent diagrams for any help.

Thanks again

Phil

Old 09-15-2015, 09:59 AM   #6

Scalf77, calling Scalf77! If he doesn't find this thread, you should PM him and see if he can help.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:40 AM   #7

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverForkPhil
Ended up being fuse 22 (60 amp) in the Battery Junction Box (under the hood - passenger side).

After studying the wiring diagrams, that fuse protects several circuits

Phil
What circuits does the book say 22 protects?

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:42 PM   #8

Sounds like you are on the right path. Just need to keep going. Start unplugging things on fuse 22.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
Scalf77, calling Scalf77! If he doesn't find this thread, you should PM him and see if he can help.
I don't think I have anything to add to the good advice already given, he appears to be on the right path.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:55 PM   #10

Thanks so far, all - been busy at the real job today - heading home. I'll post wiring diagrams this evening.