Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2018, 12:21 AM   #1

Espar Thermostat

My van is equipped with an Espar B4 heater. It currently has the 7 day easystart timer. I don't think the timer has a thermostat function. I would like a thermostat so the heater comes on automatically at a certain temp and shuts ff once it heats the cabin to a certain temp.

I see Espar sells a 12 volt thermostat and 12 volt rheostat. Would just swapping the timer for the 12V thermostat give me the ability to maintain temperature in the cabin?

Old 02-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #2

I got my thermostat from Rixen’s Enterprises in Sandy Oregon. I’m very happy with it and they are super helpful. Also, it’s much prettier than the ugly white one.
Kelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:47 PM   #3

I just installed a happybuy chines Espar clone. I will be doing a write up on the install and function of the heater very soon. I believe the chines diesel air heaters are a very close copy if not an exact copy of the Espar/airtronics units. (no instructions included) quality to be determined.

These diesel injected units do not cycle on and off like traditional heaters.
Even with thermostat control, the unit will ramp up to full speed and full heat output until the desired temp is met, then it will drop the fuel injection rate and fan speed down to the lowest setting but will never shut off until turned off manually or by the timer. If the unit cycled on and off it would build up soot very quickly plus waist a lot of fuel. the worm up cycle for the glow plug draws 7- 9amp every time it has to cold start. The digital controller/thermostats are pretty cool, you can set max/min pump output and also fan speed.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:56 PM   #4

Did you get the 5kw or the 2kw? Amazon has lots of units but the 2kw ones also say they are 5kw???????

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:24 PM   #5

I bought the 5K unit, everything I can find on them shows that the units are physically the same, the 2k units have reduced max injection programming (still researching this)

I am still testing my heater out, right now it will only run at about 70% power or it will set an overheat code and shut down.