Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2008, 11:04 PM   #1

Factory batteries

The front battery on my diesel finally crapped out.(10.5 volts) after 2 years.
It was being over charged by my tripplite charger..

I replaced both batteries with Odesseys. They are the best built batteries Ive ever seen.. However the cost was high, 600.00 for the two of them. ( I installed)

JEFF

Old 10-25-2008, 08:29 PM   #2

Re: Factory batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by myriadmyriad
The front battery on my diesel finally crapped out.(10.5 volts) after 2 years.
It was being over charged by my tripplite charger..

I replaced both batteries with Odesseys. They are the best built batteries Ive ever seen.. However the cost was high, 600.00 for the two of them. ( I installed)

JEFF
Jeff,do they match up the same size as the motorcrap..mine just took a dump...in the middle of the baja desert...at 10 pm.there's not a lot of extra space!!
thanks,mike
mikey morra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #3

Mike, I did a write up on installing two Optimas in my rig. It's someplace on the forum. Got photos too. I went through four of the Ford batteries in one year and am very happy with the Optimas. They fit right in.
Go for 'em!

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #4

Does anybody know the right part number for the Odyssey drop in replacement batteries for the OEM batts in a 2006 6.0 Diesel? If I'm reading the BatteriesPlus website correctly its the "PC1750" model but I just want to be sure prior to purchasing.
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #5

I talked to the folks at Odyssey and they told me for the 06 diesel, order the PC1750T.

11 RB150 MB Sprinter w/pop top
Burklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #6

Looks like the Odyssey PC1750 should be a close fit. My FORD MOTORCRAFT BXT-65-750 are not quite the same dimension (11 ¼”L X 7 ½” W X 6 ½” D – SAE POSTS ) vs the Odyssey (11 13/16" x 7 1/4" x 7 7/16") & both are Group 65.

If you get the chance, let me know how the Odyssey worked out (they are a killer AGM battery) as I will be replacing mine soon.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

I know that Odyssey makes many of the Sears Die Hard batteries, I just don't know to what specs. They do look the same but I'm still suspicious. Companies frequently re-badge products but sometimes there are slight differences. Worth looking into though.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850065000P
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc1750t.htm

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #8

I have a friend (now) at BatteriesPlus and the part number is: 65-PC1750T-A

They are supposedly a direct drop-in replacement size and post location, etc.

At just under $600 for the 2 of them its clearly an investment but I'll report on progress.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #9

OK, so I have replaced the starter batteries in my rig. I went with the Odyssey batts as they have gotten good reviews by most and were a drop-in replacement.

For those that have had the pleasure of replacing these frame-mounted batteries already I commend you. I was saving up curse words all week in anticipation of this project and I may have have exceeded my quota. Its not that its terribly complex its just that you end up muscling around heavy stuff while laying on your back. Advil here I come.

As others have mentioned, a jack of some sort is certainly useful if not mandatory. While you can, in fact, remove one bolt from the battery boxes and conceivably slide the battery boxes off the other bolts and let them hang, its a pretty tricky operation especially when putting the new battery back up. I found it easier to use a combination of jack and sliding one side of the heavy box back on the mounting bolts.

Anyway, if anyone is preparing to tackle this job don't hesitate to shoot me a PM or email me and I can describe in detail the dos and don'ts. One tip - pressure wash the area a few days prior if its muddy/dusty.

One item to note is that while my starter batts were not totally shot, I did notice that for some time when I would turn on the glow plugs the voltage would drop in the 10-9 volt range and then when it cranked it would sometimes drop considerably lower.

With the new Odyssey batts installed I hit the glow plugs and it went from 12.2V to about 11.7V and stayed there through the whole starting process (and the van cranked noticably faster/forceful). So it looks like I made the right choice to replace.

Thanks to all that came before me as I read through every post to get tips and ideas about the project.