Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-08-2016, 06:11 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: South Lake Tahoe
Posts: 37
Flexible Solar Panels from Amazon?

Aloha!

I am setting up a solar setup and found these panels on Amazon Robot Check

I was thinking of just drilling a ton of holes in a piece of 3/4" plywood (for cooling) and mounting them to the roof using these brackets https://rvsolarstore.com/index.php?r...product_id=112

I already have a ton of stuff on my roof (Yakima Skybox, Yakima Mega Warrior roof basket, 3 surfboards) so weight is an issue (the reason I am hoping to go with these panels).

Does anyone use these panels?
__________________

clicker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:20 PM   #2
Site Team
 
daveb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Turlock Ca
Posts: 9,838
Garage
Interesting brackets. I wonder how well they hold up to heat.
__________________

__________________
2006 Ford 6.0PSD EB-50/E-PH SMB 4X4 Rock Crawler Trailer

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:47 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
sbgrimm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Durango, CO formerly Seattle
Posts: 136
I used 5 of those brackets to hold my 14.5 lb panel on. It's been on about a year and 5000 miles. We're currently in Florida and the heat hasn't been a problem. I check the panel regularly and it has remained secure. That VHB tape is nothing short of amazing.

I really liked that the brackets are height adjustable, as my PH top was not even close to being flat. The adjustable brackets also allowed me to put a slight tilt on the panel to help it shed rain.

Leaving for Seattle in a few weeks, with a month or more in Utah. We can give you an update in another 5000 miles.
__________________
Bardo
--------------------
2005 RB-50 5.4L V8 E250 "Blanca"
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:01 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
gcvt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicker44 View Post
Aloha!

I am setting up a solar setup and found these panels on Amazon Robot Check

I was thinking of just drilling a ton of holes in a piece of 3/4" plywood (for cooling) and mounting them to the roof using these brackets https://rvsolarstore.com/index.php?r...product_id=112

I already have a ton of stuff on my roof (Yakima Skybox, Yakima Mega Warrior roof basket, 3 surfboards) so weight is an issue (the reason I am hoping to go with these panels).

Does anyone use these panels?
From what I can tell, these are the same exact panels that Renogy used to sell, which means you should have a look at this thread...

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ket-16568.html
__________________
Greg
Old van: 1997 E250 EB30 (Stolen)
New van: 2003 E250 EB10
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:29 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: South Lake Tahoe
Posts: 37
Thanks! Looks like the same Renogy panels...
clicker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:28 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
1der's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,007
This is a killer deal, even better than last weeks Renogy sale. $200 and free shipping.

I have been giving strong consideration to getting a couple of these to use as portable / supplemental panels. At 6.2 lbs each, pretty easy to manage. Only issue is they are 5 ft by 2 ft that is making me think about where to store them. Thought is to run the two 160w units together in series to match closely with our rigid 360w panel.

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Extrem...s%2C206&sr=8-3
__________________
Ray
Beastie 3: 2002 7.3 EB Cargo: Agile TTB, CCV Mid Top, Custom Walk Through, Lots of stuff added. BlingMyRig.com
1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
86Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 8,331
That is indeed a great deal! I recently bought a Windy Nation flexible panel which seems to be about the same (good) quality as the Renogy's I've bought before. No complaints here. IMO these are a much better deal than a solar suitcase. I store mine under the mattress in my RTT and just deploy when necessary like a solar suitcase.
__________________
Currently vanless. Weird.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:57 PM   #8
Member
 
LastBlackE350's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 95
Garage
I went with 3 of these panels: Kingsolar Flexible Solar Panel 100 Watt 18 Volt 12 Volt, ETFE surface.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017N7BRX6/

Working nicely since May's install. (Short URL above is from trimming the Amazon tracking/searching attributes from their URL's )

My Fiberine 24" bubble top isn't flat and the dimension of these panels fit best. Mounted with 15lb VHB tape directly to the Line-X. The VHB tape areas are the only point of contact so I get plenty of cooling. Not sure I can pull them off without damage at this point
LastBlackE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:11 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBlackE350 View Post
I went with 3 of these panels: Kingsolar Flexible Solar Panel 100 Watt 18 Volt 12 Volt, ETFE surface.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017N7BRX6/

Working nicely since May's install. (Short URL above is from trimming the Amazon tracking/searching attributes from their URL's )

My Fiberine 24" bubble top isn't flat and the dimension of these panels fit best. Mounted with 15lb VHB tape directly to the Line-X. The VHB tape areas are the only point of contact so I get plenty of cooling. Not sure I can pull them off without damage at this point
Damage to the panels or to the Line-X/High Top? I am thinking about doing a similar setup as yours but my high top needs to be re-painted (It's from 2001 and I can see small cracking in the exterior finish). Wondering If I should do this before or after the painting, if after it would need to be in the summer.
__________________
2004 E350 RB 5.4L Chateau
4x4 Quigley w/ Fixed High Top
Cyrull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:44 AM   #10
Member
 
LastBlackE350's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 95
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post
Damage to the panels or to the Line-X/High Top?
Not worried about Line-X but panel damage if removed. Only reason to remove one is if it's failing so not too worried. You can see how low profile these are last page of this thread

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post258767
__________________

LastBlackE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×