Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2016, 05:11 PM   #1

Flexible Solar Panels from Amazon?

Aloha!

I am setting up a solar setup and found these panels on Amazon Robot Check

I was thinking of just drilling a ton of holes in a piece of 3/4" plywood (for cooling) and mounting them to the roof using these brackets https://rvsolarstore.com/index.php?r...product_id=112

I already have a ton of stuff on my roof (Yakima Skybox, Yakima Mega Warrior roof basket, 3 surfboards) so weight is an issue (the reason I am hoping to go with these panels).

Does anyone use these panels?

clicker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Interesting brackets. I wonder how well they hold up to heat.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:47 PM   #3

I used 5 of those brackets to hold my 14.5 lb panel on. It's been on about a year and 5000 miles. We're currently in Florida and the heat hasn't been a problem. I check the panel regularly and it has remained secure. That VHB tape is nothing short of amazing.

I really liked that the brackets are height adjustable, as my PH top was not even close to being flat. The adjustable brackets also allowed me to put a slight tilt on the panel to help it shed rain.

Leaving for Seattle in a few weeks, with a month or more in Utah. We can give you an update in another 5000 miles.
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicker44 View Post
Aloha!

I am setting up a solar setup and found these panels on Amazon Robot Check

I was thinking of just drilling a ton of holes in a piece of 3/4" plywood (for cooling) and mounting them to the roof using these brackets https://rvsolarstore.com/index.php?r...product_id=112

I already have a ton of stuff on my roof (Yakima Skybox, Yakima Mega Warrior roof basket, 3 surfboards) so weight is an issue (the reason I am hoping to go with these panels).

Does anyone use these panels?
From what I can tell, these are the same exact panels that Renogy used to sell, which means you should have a look at this thread...

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ket-16568.html
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:29 AM   #5

Thanks! Looks like the same Renogy panels...
clicker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #6

This is a killer deal, even better than last weeks Renogy sale. $200 and free shipping.

I have been giving strong consideration to getting a couple of these to use as portable / supplemental panels. At 6.2 lbs each, pretty easy to manage. Only issue is they are 5 ft by 2 ft that is making me think about where to store them. Thought is to run the two 160w units together in series to match closely with our rigid 360w panel.

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Extrem...s%2C206&sr=8-3
Old 11-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #7

That is indeed a great deal! I recently bought a Windy Nation flexible panel which seems to be about the same (good) quality as the Renogy's I've bought before. No complaints here. IMO these are a much better deal than a solar suitcase. I store mine under the mattress in my RTT and just deploy when necessary like a solar suitcase.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:57 AM   #8

Garage
I went with 3 of these panels: Kingsolar Flexible Solar Panel 100 Watt 18 Volt 12 Volt, ETFE surface.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017N7BRX6/

Working nicely since May's install. (Short URL above is from trimming the Amazon tracking/searching attributes from their URL's )

My Fiberine 24" bubble top isn't flat and the dimension of these panels fit best. Mounted with 15lb VHB tape directly to the Line-X. The VHB tape areas are the only point of contact so I get plenty of cooling. Not sure I can pull them off without damage at this point
LastBlackE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBlackE350 View Post
I went with 3 of these panels: Kingsolar Flexible Solar Panel 100 Watt 18 Volt 12 Volt, ETFE surface.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017N7BRX6/

Working nicely since May's install. (Short URL above is from trimming the Amazon tracking/searching attributes from their URL's )

My Fiberine 24" bubble top isn't flat and the dimension of these panels fit best. Mounted with 15lb VHB tape directly to the Line-X. The VHB tape areas are the only point of contact so I get plenty of cooling. Not sure I can pull them off without damage at this point
Damage to the panels or to the Line-X/High Top? I am thinking about doing a similar setup as yours but my high top needs to be re-painted (It's from 2001 and I can see small cracking in the exterior finish). Wondering If I should do this before or after the painting, if after it would need to be in the summer.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post
Damage to the panels or to the Line-X/High Top?
Not worried about Line-X but panel damage if removed. Only reason to remove one is if it's failing so not too worried. You can see how low profile these are last page of this thread

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post258767
LastBlackE350 is offline   Reply With Quote